Bike rental in Victoria....how fit do you need to be?

We're going to do rent bikes to see the sights in Victoria. I've read that its a "bike friendly" town, but do you need to be in really good shape? It's been years since I've been on a bike, but hubby wants to do this. Any input from those that have done this? Thanks!

Cycling involves less effort than walking the same distance - that's the entire point of a bike, to efficiency of motion. Since you say you have ridden before, balancing won't be an issue so really the only problem is getting a sore bum if you aren't used to bike seats - especially if, how can I put it politely, you're carrying a wider load than back in your previous bike riding days;-)

Rent a cruiser bike - with old-school broad leather sprung saddles - for comfort on that front (or rather back...)

• 11 months later...

It really depends what you want to see in Victoria - if it is just a ride to see the sights in the downtown core and along the Waterfront it is basically flat - depending where you pick up your bike and you may be able to get one at the port - riding the David Foster - yes the renowned musician and songwriter is from Victoria - Harbour Pathway will get you a good overview and lots of ocean views across the Strait to the Olympic Mountains in Washington State - here'a link to the info on the Pathway: http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/parks/david-foster-harbour-pathway.html -

Here's an outline of some of the ride I have done on my visits to Victoria - starting at the Port exit and go right along Dallas route and follow if for however long you wish too - there are great seascapes along here -or when you get to the foot of Douglas Street and the Pacific end of the Trans-Canada highway you are at Beacon Hill Park - much of the park is traffic free and bike friendly - then stop and see the historic and restored St Ann's Academy which now houses government offices - from there visit the Legislature buildings and the Empress Hotel - return to your starting point by cycling back to the port - this part is on dedicated pathways - you will past Fishermen's wharf - stop and visit it and perhaps have some fish and chips at Barb's and then past the Coast Guard station and back to the port.

This route could also be walked - as a local from across the water in Vancouver I often walk this route.

If you are really into serious riding - taking the Galloping Goose trail - an old abandoned rail right of way will get you great views of the inland waterway called the Gorge - http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/ or the Lochside trail :https://www.crd.bc.ca/parks-recreation-culture/parks-trails/find-park-trail/lochside

Hope this give you some idea of what you might be able to do on a bike ride in Victoria.

Cheers!

Dennis

As well as regular bike rentals there is a bike sharing company, maybe called Ubike - you will see green cruiser style bikes everywhere downtown. You need their app to unlock them and then they charge by the time used - just lock it and leave it anywhere. We had a visitor who used this service every day while here in the city.

Difficulty: I am an overweight, out of shape 72 year old and I find riding around the city very easy - the only serious challenge is if you go towards Oak Bay along the waterfront you come to a heart stressing hill at King George Terrace - not easy for even seasoned cyclists, but a very nice walk and a terrific glide down the other side and worth it for the view.

Not difficult to connect with either the Galloping Goose or the Lochside Trails - you must go over the new harbor bridge, go to the right and you will find signs occasionally or just ask another rider for directions. If you are fit, ride out to Sidney on the Lochside Trail, or just as far as Mattick's for lunch.

Victoria is working hard to be a bike friendly city - lots of new dedicated cycling lanes downtown to add to your safety.