Seattle day trip to Mount Ranier

jmecme

We are arriving on a Wednesday at noon for a Friday cruise to Alaska. DH wants to take Day trip to Mount Ranier on Thursday as we will have an entire day. I have seen adds for 10 hour tour and they pick you up at your Seattle hotel. Thoughts anyone? If plane lands at noon and we are staying Seattle Marriott Waterfront, I think we can see some city highlights that day. Staying 1 day post cruise and going to a Mariners game that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can drive to the Paradise visitor center from Seattle in around 2 1/2 hours. Assuming the tour is similar to this one - https://www.viator.com/tours/Seattle/Mt-Rainier-Day-Tour-from-Seattle/d704-5396MTR - I'd check out how much a rental car might cost for the day and compare it to the cost for the tour. The rental car would give you a lot of freedom, and you could probably include some other activities as well as the mountain, for example Snoqualmie Falls.

Remember you're going to be seeing a lot of snow-covered mountains on your cruise; I wonder if something that gives more contrast might not be equally interesting, like maybe an island in Puget Sound or a visit to some wineries or historic sites. Just thinking out loud...

I thought about a rental car but not sure if I want the hassle of parking for an arm and leg at hotel and navigating a city I have not been in before. And that is the tour we are looking at. My sister lived in Seattle when I booked this cruise. I was planning on her being my tour guide... 6 months ago her job moved her to Portland:(

Edited by jmecme

I would take the tour. The traffic getting out of Seattle and through the suburbs is not fun. The tour just makes it easier.

Mount Rainier is different than the coastal mountains you will see on your cruise. The Mountain (as we fondly refer to it) is so massive that it dwarfs the surrounding peaks. It's a National Park where you'll experience old growth forests, historic log lodges, wildlife, meadows of mountain wildflowers, really big waterfalls, glaciers, and amazing views.

I have a view of Mount Rainier from my home and it never grows old. It really is one of the Pacific Northwest's special places.

We are arriving on a Wednesday at noon for a Friday cruise to Alaska. DH wants to take Day trip to Mount Ranier on Thursday as we will have an entire day. I have seen adds for 10 hour tour and they pick you up at your Seattle hotel. Thoughts anyone? If plane lands at noon and we are staying Seattle Marriott Waterfront, I think we can see some city highlights that day. Staying 1 day post cruise and going to a Mariners game that night.

You should have time after you get to the Marriott to see some sites such as the Pike Place Market, Seattle Waterfront, Seattle Center, etc. The hotel you are at is in a nice location and there is a stairway/elevator outside of it that will take you up to the Market.

I think Mt. Rainier is a great idea, it is so much more beautiful up close and great if someone else is doing the driving. Depending on the time of summer you are going there may still be snow near Paradise or maybe wildflowers in bloom, in any case it is a great place to visit.

Feel much better about our choices after all the replies. DH says I read too much and worry too much! Just want it to be the best trip ever! Just like the rest of you! Thanks for all the input!

One downside about driving is the long backup at the park entrance (if the Nisqually entrance for Paradise) that can be 1-2 hours on weekends and somewhat less on a Thursday. Going very very early (arriving before 8am) can avoid this but means leaving Seattle before 6am. Sunrise visitor center on the other side is easier and less line BUT with the snows this year the road might not open until later in July. Same applies for trails around Paradise and seasonal wildflower bloom in area currently still buried under snow.

Unless the bus tour uses Hwy 410 on the east side, and goes around to Paradise that way, they will be caught in the same traffic jam as cars.

Paradise Web Cam still lots of snow up there

The Mountain Web Cam can't see it today and lots of snow in this view too

I would appreciate any tips for Mt Ranier visit on a Wed in late Sept. We are staying south of Seattle the night before (and after). Our own car of course.

The snow will be gone, probably by Late August this year and the wildflowers will be in full bloom. Search Mt Rainier wildflowers to see what it will look like.

Late Sept. can be a great time to visit if the weather cooperates. Sept. is typically a dry month but toward the end things start to switch over to Winter mode and rains come in. I got caught in a blizzard once camping near Sunrise on the last weekend of Sept. If Paradise is socked in often Sunrise, on the drier east side, is clear and The Mountain is visible. Up on Sourdough Ridge right there is a good place to see Marmots and semi-tame deer around Frozen Lake. Sunrise is also generally far less crowded than Paradise where all the tours go. Not as much "meadows" there and too late for flower season at Paradise anyway so not much difference. Paradise does have better glacier views and the Nisqually Glacier overlook.

If everything is totally cloudy and even rainy there are some very ice short hikes lower down along the road from the Nisqually entrance to Paradise. Comet Falls is one of the tallest falls in the US and reachable by a fairly short and very pretty hike. Usually very crowded but not a Wed. in late Sept. - especially early in the day. Also there is a very nice deep old-growth rainforest stretch of the Wonderland Trail from Longmire towards Kautz Creek. Often if rainy the tree cover keeps the trail dry. If Paradise is cloudy continue on through scenic Stevens Canyon to Ohanapecosh for some nice trails there too. A nice peaceful picnic spot. Also between Stevens Canyon and Ohanapecosh is the Grove of the Patriarchs trail with some pretty impressive trees.

If taking Hwy 161 (Meridian) through Eatonville to get to Hwy 7 when in Eatonville at the 4-way stop at Center St. turn left and as it exits town it becomes the Alder Cutoff Rd. and saves several miles while adding some really pretty deep forest driving. A type of area I call a "green tunnel". Use care when turning left onto Hwy 7. On a Wed. that late the Nisqually Entrance should not be real busy - especially if you can get there earlier in the morning.

Better look at a map :)

Hwy 410 will take you to Sunrise on the east side of Mt Rainier. It is possible to go on around the mountain and get to Paradise from the east side - very long drive though, but quite pretty if you like trees and mountains. Hwy 161 (Meridian) is the more direct route.

As mentioned, watch the weather reports specifically for the mountains paying particular attention to the pass reports and the snow level. Late Sept is usually pretty nice but snow is possible, particularly at Sunrise since it is at 6400 ft vs 5000 for Paradise. FYI Paradise is kept open and plowed all winter (may close for storms), Sunrise closes at the first good storm. Also note that the Sunrise road is scheduled to open this year on June 30. It is currently only open to hikers. We get a hell of a lot of snow on the mountain!:D

Robbie

Better look at a map :)

Hwy 410 will take you to Sunrise on the east side of Mt Rainier. It is possible to go on around the mountain and get to Paradise from the east side - very long drive though, but quite pretty if you like trees and mountains. Hwy 161 (Meridian) is the more direct route.

As mentioned, watch the weather reports specifically for the mountains paying particular attention to the pass reports and the snow level. Late Sept is usually pretty nice but snow is possible, particularly at Sunrise since it is at 6400 ft vs 5000 for Paradise. FYI Paradise is kept open and plowed all winter (may close for storms), Sunrise closes at the first good storm. Also note that the Sunrise road is scheduled to open this year on June 30. It is currently only open to hikers. We get a hell of a lot of snow on the mountain!:D

Robbie

THANKS! I assume the best place to go to is Paradise Center to view the mountain? I have just started planning, so any advice is needed.

THANKS! I assume the best place to go to is Paradise Center to view the mountain? I have just started planning, so any advice is needed.

If the sky's are clear the views are spectacular from either Paradise or Sunrise. Otherwise your view will be of the inside of a cloud ;). Paradise is generally the best for 1st visit. The visitor center there is a year round operation as opposed to Sunrise which is open maybe 2 1/2 months a year. Paradise also has very well maintained meadow trails above the lodge with a number of easy loops to see the wildflowers. Another point is that the road through the Nisqually entrance has some shops and restaurants at various points along the road right up to the park entrance and there are a number of places where you will see the mountain as you drive along (assuming it is clear). Hwy 410 is pretty much in a canyon until the last stretch before Sunrise. It is a long drive from Greenwater where the last gas station and bar is to Sunrise. All forest all the way.

Traffic advise - Meridian south (Hwy 161) from Puyallup has awful traffic for 4 or 5 miles with signals that really slow things down. Very discouraging! Don't get discouraged, traffic practically disappears south of Graham.

Good luck and enjoy,

Robbie

Meridian south (Hwy 161) from Puyallup has awful traffic for 4 or 5 miles with signals that really slow things down.

Amen to that! I lived just off Meridian ( Sunrise development) 18 years ago and it was bad then. Re-visited since returning to WA state and oh brother was it bad now... until Graham, as noted, then great. Another good reason to go through there early in the morning. From Puyallup 161 is the best route to Rainier via Eatonville and Hwy 7. There is a spot on the hill after Graham with a knock-out view of The Mountain if sky is clear. Another advantage is opportunity to stop at NW Trek near Eatonville if time permits. Pacific NW oriented wildlife park.

DaveOKC,

If you have a rental car I’d head out early in the morning and drive the loop around Mt. Rainier. Starting on the East side at Enumclaw and driving to Sunrise first and then over to Paradise. It’s a long day, we do it a few time a year, and sometimes we’ll drive up to have a picnic dinner at one of the numerous campgrounds. If you’re over 62 buy the lifetime senior citizen pass for $10, they are going up in September to $80 I believe. You can use the lifetime senior citizen pass at any National Park or Forest service facility. The Tongass National Forest Discovery center in Ketchikan and Mendenhall Glacier visitors center in Juneau.

We are planning a trip to Sunrise Visitor centre followed by Crystal Mountain Resort on Monday 10th July. Where is the actual entrance to the NP where we stop and pay? How busy at 9am on a Monday?

I assume the road I should be keeping an eye out for is Sunrise Road?

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

Should be open by then I assume?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a reasonable assumption that the Sunrise road will be open by July 10 - keep watching the web site though. The weather has been hot and dry recently so the plowing should be fairly easy. The park entrance is on the Sunrise road. If you are there at 9 AM on a Monday you will likely be alone :).

You should be aware that many (all?) of the trails will still be covered with snow. Be prepared for that. If it is clear it should be spectacular.

Note that at Crystal Mountain while the base is clear of snow (at 4000') there is still a lot of snow on the upper slopes. We had a really big and late snow season.

Thanks for that. We had planned to do a short trail from Sunrise (just 2 miles, think Silver Forest). At Crystal Mountain we plan to take the Gondola and have lunch at Summit House.

Thanks for that. We had planned to do a short trail from Sunrise (just 2 miles, think Silver Forest). At Crystal Mountain we plan to take the Gondola and have lunch at Summit House.

Looks to be a very busy day. Good luck with the weather. On a good day at Crystal Summit House you can see Mt Baker to the north and Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, the remains of Mt St Helens to the south. I think they have a web camera there aimed at Rainier. We often ride the Gondola up and hike down. There is a decent path that starts right under the Summit House (loops under the Rainier Express chair lift). I think the ski run sign is for Lucky Shot.

Robbie

Looks to be a very busy day. Good luck with the weather. On a good day at Crystal Summit House you can see Mt Baker to the north and Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, the remains of Mt St Helens to the south. I think they have a web camera there aimed at Rainier. We often ride the Gondola up and hike down. There is a decent path that starts right under the Summit House (loops under the Rainier Express chair lift). I think the ski run sign is for Lucky Shot.

Robbie

Kids with us, so it'll be gondola up and down. It's our 2nd day after arriving (-8 hour time difference). So we plan leaving our holiday home early and making a full day of it. Can't wait, really excited. Thanks for the advice.

One more suggestion - as you drive back down Hwy 410 about 15 miles before you get back to Enumclaw you might consider a stop at Federation Forest State Park. This is a fairly small day use park with short trails looping through a genuine old growth forest. Some very large trees several hundred years old. Good interpretive signs. (nice restrooms too :)).

Almost all of this area along Hwy 410 (short of the Park entrance) has been logged and replanted over the last 150 years. You will see tree farms of various ages often with signs stating when they were replanted. There is a fair chance you will see current logging operations. After all that, Fed Forest is a chance to see what it all looked like before logging started. Pretty impressive.

You are off to a great start in seeing the unique features of the Northwest. Hope it all works out for you. We hope to visit Scotland for the first time in the next year or two.

Robbie

You’re going to have a full day if you decide to do your plans. Here are some interesting web sites that some people might find interesting.

Mt. Rainier Park https://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm

Mt. Rainier web cams https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm#CP_JUMP_696840

Crystal Mt. Resort https://crystalmountainresort.com/

Crystal Mt. Summit House Restaurant https://crystalmountainresort.com/summer-dining/summit-house-summer/?gclid=CJ3Hy4Tk4dQCFYGUfgodnMEAsQ

If we were going on a jet boat trip in Southern Oregon, I’d meet up with you and give you the Mt. Rainier area tour.