Wonders of the Fjords

I think Hellesylt is just a drop off point for day excursions. We sailed up the fjord, dropped off some passengers to a local ferry and continued up the fjord to Geiranger.

Bergen - the floyenbann up the mountain if the weather is good

Geiranger - up the hill to the fjord centre and back down the path by the river, if the weather is good

Flam - go on the railway or a wander along the fjord shore, if the weather is good

Alesund - have a wander around, take the little train up the mountain and walk back down the several hundred stairs, if the weather is good

I think Hellesylt is just a drop off point for day excursions. We sailed up the fjord, dropped off some passengers to a local ferry and continued up the fjord to Geiranger.

Bergen - the floyenbann up the mountain if the weather is good

Geiranger - up the hill to the fjord centre and back down the path by the river, if the weather is good

Flam - go on the railway or a wander along the fjord shore, if the weather is good

Alesund - have a wander around, take the little train up the mountain and walk back down the several hundred stairs, if the weather is good

thanks, we have booked port side cabins, is that the best side for views

• Booked the fjords on discovery for next june any diy tips on the following ports
  • Bergen,
  • Hellesylt,
  • Geiranger,
  • Alesund
  • Flam

You are welcome to view my trip report on the Serenade of the Seas.

I think the suggestions already provided are good, except I wouldn't put a condition on the weather. They have precipitation for 340 days a year in Bergen, pretty good chance it will be raining there. For Bergen and Alesund, we walked up to the viewpoints. We rented a Twizy in Geiranger to drive up to Dalsnibba -- it pricey, but lots of fun.

Wonderful landscapes, do not miss the 7 sisters waterfalls. Sailing on the Splendor of the Seas in July 2000. Also something I will never forget was our excursion to Briksdal Glacier, the best salmon and caviar I have ever eaten.

19059602_1917700171806111_4092494219827664900_n.jpg?oh=43bba068a7da03f611f5d1992b88a1b1&oe=59C93899

thanks, we have booked port side cabins, is that the best side for views

Doesn't matter. You go up the fjord in the morning and back down again in the evening so you see both sides, but why would you be in your cabin when cruising the the fjords? The scenery is too good to be inside. Make a point of being on deck to enjoy the unbelievable views.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

which is the best side of the ship, port or starboard to be on to see the seven sisters on the sail in

Wonderful landscapes, do not miss the 7 sisters waterfalls. Sailing on the Splendor of the Seas in July 2000. Also something I will never forget was our excursion to Briksdal Glacier, the best salmon and caviar I have ever eaten.

19059602_1917700171806111_4092494219827664900_n.jpg?oh=43bba068a7da03f611f5d1992b88a1b1&oe=59C93899

Doesn't matter. You go up the fjord in the morning and back down again in the evening so you see both sides, but why would you be in your cabin when cruising the the fjords? The scenery is too good to be inside. Make a point of being on deck to enjoy the unbelievable views.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

we have booked grand suites on deck 8 so may be on balcony for the sail in

In Flam the ship's dock about 200m flat walk from the station. Book train tickets online well in advance.

For Geiranger check the Visit Norway website. They have some very good excursion offers.

In Alesund you can take the mini train or HOHO from beside the ship.

In Bergen you can do HOHO from port or walk into centre. If weather is good you can take the cable car or funicular.

We have just returned from our second Norway cruise.

Make sure you take some warm layers and waterproof jackets. We also put on our waterproof over trousers in Bergen. So glad we did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Flam the ship's dock about 200m flat walk from the station. Book train tickets online well in advance.

For Geiranger check the Visit Norway website. They have some very good excursion offers.

In Alesund you can take the mini train or HOHO from beside the ship.

In Bergen you can do HOHO from port or walk into centre. If weather is good you can take the cable car or funicular.

We have just returned from our second Norway cruise.

Make sure you take some warm layers and waterproof jackets. We also put on our waterproof over trousers in Bergen. So glad we did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thank you