Interested in Seaside, should I be reading about Maraviglia?

mafig

I'm booked on Seaside next year, but not on Meraviglia, so I understand your perspective.

Meraviglia is the newest class of ship (just launched earlier this month) which is why you are seeing so many threads. But it is definitely an entirely new design, and so is likely closer to what the Seaside will be than the Divina, which is the older ship currently doing the Caribbean itineraries that the Seaside will cover.

So yes, you should look at the Meraviglia threads, with the understanding that some things will be different.

I think you should be very careful about drawing any conclusions about MSC Seaside based on the reviews of the Maraviglia. The Seaside is being built very specifically for the American market and to cater to American cruisers. So, there will definitely be differences between the cruise experiences on those two ships.

The Divina was MSC's first serious attempt at appealing to American cruisers. I think the Divina has helped them to figure out, the hard way, about what American cruisers are looking for. It will be VERY interesting to see if they get it right with the Seaside. I'm going to give them a try... but if the overall experience, especially the food, is too Mediterranean and not satisfactory for the American passengers... it will be back to NCL, RCI, and Carnival for me.

I have read the Divina reviews, and they clearly did not understand the American market at first. But I think they're starting to figure it out now.

The seaside will be very similar to Meraviglia but hopefully different in respect to the American market. I have spoken with the management about some concerns and it looks like the marine engineers are still working out the details as the ship is being finished. Meraviglia is already giving them information and answers that will help to improve Seaside. The one factor that remains constant is the fact that MSC will continue to improve and refine their product. I see some of the other threads that are asking people to compare MSC with NCL or HAL etc. but from what I see, and have learned, is that MSC is creating a product that is totally unlike all the others.

Thank you all.

I know about MSC because we were on Divina last October and I liked her enough (Yacht Club) and am intrigued enough about Seaside to go again.:p Just wanted to know if there were enough similarities for me to read Meraviglia reviews too (emphasis probably on specialty restaurants and YC experience).

I'm just curious as to what people here perceive as the difference between European cruisers and American cruisers? I gather there used to be an issue with water being served with dinner, but from what I understand, that's no longer a problem? And obviously on cruises with many more Europeans, there will be the issue of multiple languages, and dining choices. What else do people see as 'differences'?

Also, isn't the plan to send Meraviglia to the US in 2019? So she is a ship destined for American cruisers.

I'm also curious what would make an entire ship more or less "American" enough that they are building a new ship for it.

We are cruising Splendida in 2 weeks. Assuming that is a European style ship, what should I expect that is different from Disney and Oceania (my other two cruising experiences?)

Meraviglia and Seaside are 2 entirely different class ships with totally different layouts. Seaside will have much more outdoor space for sunnier climes. Meraviglia is an all-weather ship (which is possibly destined for North America eventually, as MSC is planning to homeport in New York). The emphasis is on indoor venues as a result.

Bellissima (debuting in the Med in 2019) will be Meraviglia's sister ship and Seaview (debuting next year in the Med) will be Seaside's.

I understand architectural changes for climate differences but surely the Med, or the Middle East, is also warm. The statement that MSC didn't understand America cruisers and so is replacing the whole ship is what's throwing me. What do Americans need on a ship (or not need) that is different than Europeans? Not trying to be a pain. I'm genuinely curious.

I understand architectural changes for climate differences but surely the Med, or the Middle East, is also warm. The statement that MSC didn't understand America cruisers and so is replacing the whole ship is what's throwing me. What do Americans need on a ship (or not need) that is different than Europeans? Not trying to be a pain. I'm genuinely curious.

Not year round, it's not, which is why most of MSC ships are all-weather ones as they keep some in the Med all year.

Meraviglia and Seaside are 2 entirely different class ships with totally different layouts. Seaside will have much more outdoor space for sunnier climes. Meraviglia is an all-weather ship (which is possibly destined for North America eventually, as MSC is planning to homeport in New York). The emphasis is on indoor venues as a result.

Bellissima (debuting in the Med in 2019) will be Meraviglia's sister ship and Seaview (debuting next year in the Med) will be Seaside's.

Bea is that what you heard or was told that the Meraviglia will be going to NY???

Bea is that what you heard or was told that the Meraviglia will be going to NY???

I was just speculating, Ric. MSC announced that it's planning to sail from New York in the future. With Meraviglia being sent stateside in 2019, I think they'll wait to gauge the reaction to her there before deciding where she'll be deployed. So it's still a long way off. Who knows what MSC will actually do? I sometimes wonder if they know themselves!!