Ship to shore internet phone options? (VOIP) & Blocked URL / IPs

txtoby

Does SS Whisper block phone / communication applications like, Skype, Vonage, Fonality, WhatsApp? Or do they just throttle bandwidth? What is the most used onboard digital communications method to "call home"? (ie: so we don't have to pay $10.00 - $2.99/minute Verizon to USA) clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

Do they block any IP / URL addresses? Ie: International vs local /regional

I know that the download bandwidth is low and spotty in many instances, so those methods could be a "mute" point... but I couldn't get a solid answer from the (nice) SS customer service rep.

Have not experienced any blockage from Silversea like others lines and river boats, other than bad language and adult content (the last item I have been told) but you will get frustrated real soon with screen freeze, missing every other word and the climatic dropped call.

It seams stopping somewhere with great WIFI on shore excursions is still the most reliable and cost effective. Of course excluding en emergency you will have to pay the going rate on board.

Streaming is blocked or throttled on board (if it is) primarily to protect the quality of response for all users. Sometimes it isn't blocked but throttled back in order to make the user sufficiently dissatisfied to give up streaming because of the buffering.

To give an idea of the problem, to stream Netflix a minimum of 1gb is required at poor definition up to 4gb per hour required for reasonable. An average half page email takes around 3k. So it takes as much as 1.3m people sending a half page email in an hour to use the same amount of bandwidth as someone streaming NETFLIX.

Streaming is blocked or throttled on board (if it is) primarily to protect the quality of response for all users. Sometimes it isn't blocked but throttled back in order to make the user sufficiently dissatisfied to give up streaming because of the buffering.

To give an idea of the problem, to stream Netflix a minimum of 1gb is required at poor definition up to 4gb per hour required for reasonable. An average half page email takes around 3k. So it takes as much as 1.3m people sending a half page email in an hour to use the same amount of bandwidth as someone streaming NETFLIX.

You're correct Sir. Netflix and other media rich streaming services are bandwidth hogs. Network admins hate them. Simple solution for those folks. Plan ahead and download movies and media onto a laptop / Tablet before traveling or onshore.

As for Voice Over IP (internet) calling. My softphone app only consumes about 50 kbps... so ballpark .075 MB per minute of talking. That's barely 45 mgs per hour. For every 1 hour Netflix video, one could talk for 88 hours (3.7 days!) :) If they my US provider does not block International IP addresses.. I should be good. If so, one can use a VPN service to work around the limitation.

Or maybe I should completely unplug from technology for the 10 day cruise?! (NOPE! lol)