Amtrak/ hotel help please

kacurl

So after cruise end in San Diego on Feb 4 2018, we need to stay a night before our train from LA union station to Boston ( cuz it super bowl). Probably can't check in till at least noon. Where should we stay? Train to Boston no leave till 530 pm. Takin train from SD.,Where could we get off and stay near a station? Anahiem? Fullerton?? Any ideas?? Thinking not good area by union station LA We are in SD fr a week before cruise and def need to leave that Mon! Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you. Cathy

We enjoyed the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle a couple of years ago. We took Amtrak from Anaheim to Union station. Anaheim station is basically at the back of the stadium parking lot. As the taxi turned into the huge empty parking lot I wondered where he was taking us.

We considered staying at the Ayers hotel. As per Bing maps it is about a 5 minute walk to the station. We ended up choosing a hotel closer to Disneyland (mistake). I would considered Ayres Hotel should we do similar agai though I cannot recommend it becasue we did not stay there but you might want to check it out. And the train was an inexpensive way to get to Union Station from Anaheim.

Allow a little time in Union station to get from one train to the others.

downtown LA has changed a lot. I stayed very close to Union Station a few yrs back. You can go to Olivera Street, tour the new Catholic Cathedral, go to to Disney music hall. While a few street people its not a bad spot especially in daytime.

So you disembark in San Diego on Feb. 4, and take the train from the LA Amtrak station at 5:30PM on Feb. 5?

I guess you could take the train to Anaheim and go to Disneyland if you wanted, but my preference would be to do some more sightseeing in San Diego.

Why not stay overnight in San Diego, then catch an AM train from there to Los Angeles? You can take your luggage to your hotel and check it if too early to check in, go off to do some sightseeing, then come back to the hotel. Many hotels within close walking distance to the Amtrak station in San Diego, and also close to the cruise ship port.

Thanks all. We are staying Sunday night as we want to see the super bowl.The train from SD to LA on Monday would only give us about an hour to spare and do not want to cut it that close knowing how trains can run. I have booked the Best Western Dragon gate near Amtrak. Any thoughts on that? Cathy

( In LA)

So after cruise end in San Diego on Feb 4 2018, we need to stay a night before our train from LA union station to Boston ( cuz it super bowl). Probably can't check in till at least noon. Where should we stay? Train to Boston no leave till 530 pm. Takin train from SD.,Where could we get off and stay near a station? Anahiem? Fullerton?? Any ideas?? Thinking not good area by union station LA We are in SD fr a week before cruise and def need to leave that Mon! Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you. Cathy

If you are taking the Southwest Chief to Chicago (and continuing on), you can catch it in Fullerton rather than LA Union Station. Fullerton is that train's first/last stop.