Dogs on P&O ships

grapau27

As far as I understand it they only allow dogs for the blind, but I may be wrong.

In 16 years I have to say, my husband and I have never seen one dog on any P&O ship.

I would ring them and ask to confirm if I was you.

http://www.pocruises.com/accessibility-information/life-onboard/assistant-dogs/

reads :-

We welcome registered assistance dogs on board as long as they have been specifically trained to assist a person with a disability and have been certified by an organisation that is a full member of Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), the accrediting bodies for assistance dog organisations worldwide.

Emotional support dogs are not recognised as an assistance dog by the organisations mentioned above and so are not permitted on board.

Assistance dogs may not be permitted ashore in certain ports of call, in line with current DEFRA regulations which apply in the UK. If you tell us on your questionnaire that you’ll be taking an assistance dog on board, we’ll send you the relevant paperwork for you to complete and send back to us with any additional information.

To find out more about travelling with an assistance dog, visit: https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/PO_CU_assdog

Never seen one in 10 cruises with P&O. I have to say that I don't think a cruise ship would be an appropriate environment for a dog. I know that Cunard take them but in kennels and not around the ship.

We were on Oriana in Dec 15. There was a gentleman on board with his black labrador guide dog. He was a regular cruiser with P&O. A lovely guy with a thoroughly well behaved dog. However, it didn't stop a few passengers complaining at reception that there was a dog on board!!! Just appalling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

http://www.pocruises.com/accessibility-information/life-onboard/assistant-dogs/

reads :-

We welcome registered assistance dogs on board as long as they have been specifically trained to assist a person with a disability and have been certified by an organisation that is a full member of Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), the accrediting bodies for assistance dog organisations worldwide.

Emotional support dogs are not recognised as an assistance dog by the organisations mentioned above and so are not permitted on board.

Assistance dogs may not be permitted ashore in certain ports of call, in line with current DEFRA regulations which apply in the UK. If you tell us on your questionnaire that you’ll be taking an assistance dog on board, we’ll send you the relevant paperwork for you to complete and send back to us with any additional information.

To find out more about travelling with an assistance dog, visit: https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/PO_CU_assdog

This is interesting reading.

I was talking to a neighbour about cruising who is registered blind and has a guide dog and as i had only seen 1 dog in 45 cruises i couldn't really advise her.

I looked on RC threads and there is 305 posts about dogs on ships but most seem to talk about comfort dogs on ships which are not trained so i couldn't really give my neighbour much information.

I have never seen dogs onboard. I'm fortunate enough to be well acquainted with a beautiful (but quite rebellious) guide dog and was looking at the rules just the other day wondering how feasible it would be. The QM2 has kennels for journeys to NYC and Hamburg I believe, and I always think that if I emigrate to the states that's how I'd have to go if I had a dog in tow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am absolutely terrified of dogs, having been bitten as a child, but have never had any problem with Guide dogs as they are so well trained and good natured. However these "comfort dogs" seem to be yappy little terrors and the owners all about "me me me and regulations don't apply to me. I would complain if I encountered one but have never seen anything on P and O except a good natured Guide Dog.

I have only ever seen four dogs on cruises, one cruise had two all on Princess Cruise line. I understand that when you arrive at ports they do not disembark (boom boom), this may vary with US citizens/dogs on US ships at US ports. It is another detail that would need clarification with P&O as walking around ashore at ports may be problematic without a guide dog.

QM2 has dogs as passengers and their number of kennels has increased significantly. Even so these berths sell out first and you leave the dogs in the dogs hotel area. Not sure about visiting arrangements but this is standard pet dogs.

Regards John

Marvellous and why not. They are trained to such a standard, they couldn't possibly upset anybody.

Agreed ( they are not your run of the mill dog)

Totally agree and your dog looks just like my neighbours dog and she is adorable.

Hope you can now assist your neighbour .

I have only ever seen four dogs on cruises, one cruise had two all on Princess Cruise line. I understand that when you arrive at ports they do not disembark (boom boom), this may vary with US citizens/dogs on US ships at US ports. It is another detail that would need clarification with P&O as walking around ashore at ports may be problematic without a guide dog.

QM2 has dogs as passengers and their number of kennels has increased significantly. Even so these berths sell out first and you leave the dogs in the dogs hotel area. Not sure about visiting arrangements but this is standard pet dogs.

Regards John

Thank you.

Thank you, I lost her last year :-(, but have another one. They are Flatcoated retrievers.

I'm sorry about your dog she must be a miss but nice you have another to love.

We lost our family Dalmatian last year and we were all very upset.

It seems we are all dog lovers. I have an enormous German Shepherd Dog who didn't seem to stop growing when she should, but have had small dogs in the past and I love them all (although there is a tendency for little dogs to bite my dog and she just lets them ☹️) Leaving her is the only bad thing about cruising and it seems to get more difficult each time. 5ef53b89865d04fb2424cc3cbf24206f.jpg

Florry she's beautiful looks very regal, we have 2 border terriers one is excellently behaved the other is a little menace but we love them both dearly and it is difficult leaving them we have just arrived back from 11 nights in the Maldives to have 2 dogs glued to our sides at the moment.

Florry she's beautiful looks very regal, we have 2 border terriers one is excellently behaved the other is a little menace but we love them both dearly and it is difficult leaving them we have just arrived back from 11 nights in the Maldives to have 2 dogs glued to our sides at the moment.

It's good when you get back and everyone is happy!

What an absolutely beautiful GSD! :)

There is a very long thread in the 'disability' section that deals with cruising with an assistance dog. I'm sure the regulars on there would be happy to sheare their expertise with a new cruiser - although I think most of the posters are from the US, so rules could differ.