Those booking Seaside way in advance ....what about insurance?

mafig

I was looking to book Seaside for next year. My TA provides insurance as a perk.

However, I was just told that pre-existing won't be covered unless I pay the full amount.

I really don't want to pay the full amount a year in advance.

Let me admit, that for 25+ cruises we did not purchase insurance at all.

Since dh had an illness a few years ago, I figured I shouldn't push my luck.

But as far as cruise insurance goes, I am stupid.

For those who have booked so far in advance, what did you do about getting insurance with pre-existing condition coverage.?

We booked our seaside cruise over a year in advance too. We got insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. We had to buy it within 14 days of our initial cruise deposit but we didn't have to pay the entire cruise off to have it covered. We went with a policy through a regular insurance company. (I know there are rules about things on here and I am not sure if I am allowed to say who!)

I'm not sure about saying who, but I contacted insure my trip which I'd read about (many times) on these forums. I was able to get pre-existing as we were within the timeframe. I did not have to have balance paid. Our trip is in April.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

So, did you have to insure your entire trip to get the pre-existing?

I have read about people only insuring the deposit first and then the final, but not sure if doing it that way covers the pre-existing.

I was looking to book Seaside for next year. My TA provides insurance as a perk.

However, I was just told that pre-existing won't be covered unless I pay the full amount.

For those who have booked so far in advance, what did you do about getting insurance with pre-existing condition coverage.?

You need to get rid of your TA because if you purchase ins when you book or with in 14 days it will over pre- existing conditions so your TA is wrong !!!!!! and you don't have to pay full price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to get rid of your TA because if you purchase ins when you book or with in 14 days it will over pre- existing conditions so your TA is wrong !!!!!! and you don't have to pay full price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you say get rid of your TA a lot.;)

However, providing insurance was a perk I selected mainly as a convenience because I wasn't sure how to go about buying insurance.

It may be that the policy they use has this requirement. I just don't want to have to pay off the entire cruise a full year before.

Prior to this, the last couple of cruises, I booked close to final payment, so I was covered.

Other cruises I booked far in advance, I never purchased insurance. Over 25 cruises without it, never needed it, so I was darned lucky, I guess.

I'm just a little frustrated. I spend quite a while researching and was ready with credit card in hand, when she mentioned this.

This TA does provide good service, a lower price, OBC (in addition to the cruise insurance). Other TAs that I've used either flat out won't book with MSC or never have.

Edited by mafig

Usually for pre existing condition, you have to pay the insurance in full, not the cruise.

Yes, but I wasn't paying the insurance, the TA was.

Also, I've been reading of people who only insure the deposit, then up the insurance upon final payment and still have pre-existing covered.

So, did you have to insure your entire trip to get the pre-existing?

I have read about people only insuring the deposit first and then the final, but not sure if doing it that way covers the pre-existing.

I did pay the entire amount which risked some of the $$ but saved me the inconvenience of calling with each addition. She told me I didn't have to pay the full amount, but we'd started out with non-waiver policies so I'm not sure how/if the terms changed. I wrote down the figures which showed only $50 difference in paying full but could have been my error. I had included some air that wasn't already covered and hotel rooms. I wasn't really looking for the waiver, but she found one within my $400 limit. In our case, the insurance was for $5500, ages 76 and 69, and cost $376.

The site also has a chat function that could probably answer that question for you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Rhea, Thank you. Your info. was very helpful, especially including ages, amount covered and amount paid. Gives me a good idea!

If I end up paying myself, I'll end up with a ton of OBC. With being in the YC (beverages paid) and having been to these islands many times before (no excursions), we'll be spending it on specialty restaurants and liquor, I guess.

I have asked on another thread if travel agent OBC (called refundable obc on Celebrity) is refundable, but no answer.

I hope this doesn't violate the rules, but I use insuremytrip.com. It offers dozens of different insurance options that you can compare from multiple underwrites. You can decide on the coverages you want as well as the pre-existing waivers. I have found the prices to be much cheaper than the equivalent coverages offered by the cruise lines especially MSC.

Yes, but I wasn't paying the insurance, the TA was.

Also, I've been reading of people who only insure the deposit, then up the insurance upon final payment and still have pre-existing covered.

You are VERY confused !!!!! So stay with your wonderful TA. She is making a fool out of you.

Unless you have a health condition that you know about, "pre-existing" coverage in a short term travel policy isn't that big a deal IMHO. The risk is very low.

I don't buy insurance until final payment time, myself, despite the coverages that are lost by doing so. I feel that we are well-covered for the issues that are a real risk to us.

Your mileage may vary. If you have a serious health condition then it may well be worth it to buy the insurance early enough to keep "pre-existing" coverage. Keep in mind that your health insurance may already cover incidents overseas, the main difference just come down to how much you are out of pocket and how long you have to wait for reimbursement. It's worth checking with them if you haven't.

and YOU are VERY rude!

You are calling someone rude when they are trying to help you?? We have 3 Seaside YC booked and we booked when they first opened the bookings and we got FREE insurance from our TA with pre existing conditions included and only paid the Deposit of $200 total !

You are calling someone rude when they are trying to help you?? We have 3 Seaside YC booked and we booked when they first opened the bookings and we got FREE insurance from our TA with pre existing conditions included and only paid the Deposit of $200 total !

Wow, that's a great TA!!

I just get annual policies which cover all my holidays including winter sports

and i'm over 65 and have pre-existing medical conditions including Parkinson's disease

but maybe things are different in the US from here in the UK

Cost £135 for me and my wife together

pete