sailings cancelled

devinc

For the second time within a year, we have had a sailing cancel. The latest one happen to be the Sunshine in Jan 2019. They said it was now chartered. Just wondering how often this seems to happen.

For the second time within a year, we have had a sailing cancel. The latest one happen to be the Sunshine in Jan 2019. They said it was now chartered. Just wondering how often this seems to happen.

Sorry that happened to you. The likelihood of that happening is greater when you book way out into the future. I've been on 32 Carnival cruises and its never happened to me.

P.S. Emerald Seas was one of the first ships I ever cruised on. I was looking at your signature. I also cruised on NCL Wind back in the day (lol) after it was stretched. Small world.

Sorry that happened to you. The likelihood of that happening is greater when you book way out into the future. I've been on 32 Carnival cruises and its never happened to me.

P.S. Emerald Seas was one of the first ships I ever cruised on. I was looking at your signature. I also cruised on NCL Wind back in the day (lol) after it was stretched. Small world.

Not to hijack but The Emerald Seas was my first cruise ever. I loved it.

I would suppose since it is so far out, that you did not book flights yet (probably can't even). They will accommodate you accordingly, right? It's a bummer because I know how we all research and find just what we want! But, at least it will be worked out without any real issues on your part. Hope you get something great rescheduled!!

What was the date you were supposed to sail on the Sunshine??

Karen

To: Sat 2 Feb 2019

8 Night Southern Caribbean

some travel agents websites still have this cruise bookable. if you search on carnival website, it is missing. I guess not everyone got the memo that this saildate is now chartered.

Which one in January 2019? (having one booked then, haven't gotten anything but makes me nervous :)

Sorry needed to read to the bottom :) looks like this one is the one after mine. I didn't figure they would charter a Journey as they are so popular

To: Sat 2 Feb 2019

8 Night Southern Caribbean

some travel agents websites still have this cruise bookable. if you search on carnival website, it is missing. I guess not everyone got the memo that this saildate is now chartered.

Sorry needed to read to the bottom :) looks like this one is the one after mine. I didn't figure they would charter a Journey as they are so popular

this is not a journey cruise. the journey cruise is the week before. this is the journey cruise :

To: Fri 25 Jan 2019)

13 Night Southern Caribbean

Not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. I had not booked flights. We really liked this iten/$/timing/Orlando etc and wanted to sail the Sunshine. They have offered $50 Onboard credit pp for a new booking.

Now, we get our deposit refunded. Honestly, we really want to try Celebrity so we may look at that for 2019...

Mine for April 2019 was cancelled on the Splendor, it's happening too too often.

It does not only happen when a cruise is booked for well into the future. We once had a river cruise chartered out from under us after we had made final payment. We had not booked it that long ago.

If it is a ship, itinerary and date that you are really interested in .....keep checking...we had this happen in 2007.

They cancelled our Liberty cruise - we rescheduled and then out of the blue about a month later it popped back up as an option for open bookings. PVP said that the charter must have fallen through. But the good news is they switched us back to our original sailing and cabin with no penalty. We even got to keep the OBC that they had offered from the original cancellation!! ;)

Surprised they only gave you $ 50 for the inconvenience. Would have thought they would have given you a bit more say 100.

This is the standard amount. Carnival cancelled a cruise on us less than 7 months before sailing out of Puerto Rico. That was what we were offered. We also got a price match to any other cruise of the same length in the same category. Since we had purchased airfare we switched to Celebrity Summit.

Two weeks later Carnival offered to help with the air change fee. But really didn't like the way did it. You had to book another cruise with them. Then after getting onboard that cruise you would get the air change fee credited to you S&S account as OBC. Making us jump through hoops to get our money back. Since we didn't book our airfare through Carnival they wouldn't cover it. We called about our insurance and we're told the airline hadn't cancelled so we would not get our money back. We could get $75pp to help cover the change fee. That left us out $125pp.

I would like to add some of the other lines aren't as generous. Celebrity has cancelled many cruises and the people got no help at all with airfare and were offered only a few select cruises to switch to. At least Carnival let you switch to any same length cruise.

Not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. I had not booked flights. We really liked this iten/$/timing/Orlando etc and wanted to sail the Sunshine. They have offered $50 Onboard credit pp for a new booking.

Now, we get our deposit refunded. Honestly, we really want to try Celebrity so we may look at that for 2019...

Just be careful if you think of booking the celebrity summit out of San Juan - it's been chartered many times and Celebrity has cancelled their Jan/Feb cruises on that ship a few years in a row. That ship is very popular for charter cruises (they move it to Fort Lauderdale for some of them - last year I was able to book a great 9 night cruise on the Summit out of FL after the dust settled).

Good points and thank you. I just called Carnival and they showed me still booked. It isn't showing under my account now. I was put on hold and then disconnected after about 5 minutes. Guess I will try tomorrow.