Turnaround day question on a B2B

caribill

Normally when you embark, you cannot go to your cabin until around 1 PM.

What about if you are a B2B passenger on the turnaround day between the two segments?

If you are straying in the same cabin do you have access to it all day or must you stay away from it from 8 AM until 1 PM?

If you are switching cabins, do you leave the original cabin around 8 AM and have to stay away until 1 PM to get into the new cabin?

Thanks

If you are in the same cabin you will have access all day like a normal day. If you change cabins they have a list of b2b guests and you should have access around 9.30am, depending upon how soon the previous occupant vacates. They make those rooms up first. They'll close the fire doors until the normal 1-1.30pm, but you can open those and let yourself into the cabin corridor.

Phil

Same cabin you have access all day. If you are changing cabins how soon you will have access can vary depending upon how many back to back guests. Last year there were almost 1100 B2B cruisers on a NZ Australia route. Those who were changing cabins had to move their own belongings and for many the cabins weren't ready til around noon.

We normally leave the ship on turnaround day and don't return until mid afternoon.

You may not be able to access your stateroom all day on Celebrity. Usually they close the doors to the corridors.

In the US, B2B guests meet as a group around 9:30 and exit the ship together, go through immigration and then reboard. If you try to go to your stateroom at that time,you'll find your access blocked.

On the Eclipse at the end of April, they helped us move our things and we put our valuables in the safe as soon as our new cabin was vacated. We did not have access again until all the cabins were ready.

We were at Southhampton and did not get off the ship. Most of us congregated at Cafe Al Bacio where they continued to serve the B2Bers.

We were invited to the Concierge Embarcarion Lunch, which I thought was a zoo. It was very crowded with concierge class, B2B people and what looked like a large group traveling together.

What about if you are a B2B passenger on the turnaround day between the two segments?

If you are straying in the same cabin do you have access to it all day or must you stay away from it from 8 AM until 1 PM?

If you are switching cabins, do you leave the original cabin around 8 AM and have to stay away until 1 PM to get into the new cabin?

Thanks

From some of the answers it would appear there are different rules depending on the location.

I can tell you that on Solstice in Sydney earlier this year we had two different set ups.

The first turnaround day the ship had to cleared so it was everybody off he ship by 9:30am. Nobody was allowed back on until 11:30am and once back on you could not leave the ship again that day. Something to do with Australian immigration rules and the fact we were leaving Australian waters.

The second one was more or less the same with the ship being cleared by 9:30am, again nobody back on until 11:30am but because the next cruise was all Australian ports we could come and go as we pleased for the rest of the day.

We also had our old sea passes taken from us when getting off and new ones issued when we came back. They were later returned to us during the next cruise. As soon as you were back on you could have access to your cabin if it was the same one which in our case it was.

It might help if you could say at which port your turnaround day is happening at? :)

This is where I think Celebrity doesn't 'get it'. I have done a B2B2B in Miami and had to change cabins after the first leg. They helped me to move everything, but once in the new cabin, it had to sit there in suitcase until after 1pm (or later) as I was not allowed back into the cabin.. Sort ofdefeats some of the purpose of doing a B2B. Between the second and third legs, I was also not allowed back to my cabin, but I was on deck 9 (Millie) and found the back door to the library unlocked so I could sneak back. Same thing in San Juan. Had to change cabins, but was not allowed in to unpack in the new cabin. EM

You may not be able to access your stateroom all day on Celebrity. Usually they close the doors to the corridors.

In the US, B2B guests meet as a group around 9:30 and exit the ship together, go through immigration and then reboard. If you try to go to your stateroom at that time,you'll find your access blocked.

The doors might be "blocked", but they are not "locked".

I have never done b2b, but I have talked with many of those passengers and if they want to go to their rooms after back on board they just open/close the doors. (or at least some of them do that)

This is where I think Celebrity doesn't 'get it'. I have done a B2B2B in Miami and had to change cabins after the first leg. They helped me to move everything, but once in the new cabin, it had to sit there in suitcase until after 1pm (or later) as I was not allowed back into the cabin.. Sort ofdefeats some of the purpose of doing a B2B. Between the second and third legs, I was also not allowed back to my cabin, but I was on deck 9 (Millie) and found the back door to the library unlocked so I could sneak back. Same thing in San Juan. Had to change cabins, but was not allowed in to unpack in the new cabin. EM

That hasn't been my experience. I've done several B2Bs and a B2B2B on which I changed cabins on every leg. I coordinated the moves with the appropriate cabin stewards/butlers who moved my things and I remained in my new cabin to unpack and get settled if I was not taking a tour off the ship that day.

We have never seen the (fire) doors blocked or locked on any of our B2B cruises. I believe that would a safety violation if they did lock or block them. But they are always shut. We've always had the same cabin and we were always at liberty to return to our cabin if we elected to do so anytime after we completed all the B2B procedures. If we ever go back to our cabin it's to quickly drop off or pick something up. We stay out of the staffs way (hallways are full of carts and full dirty laundry bags) as they are busy getting the cabins ready for the next group of passengers.

Edited by davekathy

On the Eclipse at the end of April, they helped us move our things and we put our valuables in the safe as soon as our new cabin was vacated. We did not have access again until all the cabins were ready.

We were at Southhampton and did not get off the ship. Most of us congregated at Cafe Al Bacio where they continued to serve the B2Bers.

We were invited to the Concierge Embarcarion Lunch, which I thought was a zoo. It was very crowded with concierge class, B2B people and what looked like a large group traveling together.

We doing B2B in August on Eclipse, sailing from Southampton, and since we're not changing rooms, we decided to get off the ship and have laundry done in a local wash and fold while we visit the museum and have tea at a local tea room..all of which are no more than 1/2 mile from dock, of course that depends on how big the port is and how many ships are there....but I'm looking forward to it.

PS: We just left Springdale....how are you guys doing?

Thanks

The procedure can vary from one cruise to another, even for the same ship at the same port, depending on the existing circumstances at the time, as we found out.

You may or may not be required to leave the ship for a period of time.

When we were required to leave the ship, sometimes we were allowed back on immediately, as soon as they had completed their count down.

But other times passengers were not allowed back on the ship for several hours.

Anything that people tell you happened on their turnaround day may or may not be what you experience on yours.

The one thing that is consistent is that they always let us know in advance what the B2B procedures would be for that specific turnaround day.

Also, the number of people attending that lunch in the MDR on the turnaround day can vary greatly from one time to another.

Sometimes it has been a small, quiet group, and other times it has been a zoo, as a previous poster mentioned.

Edited by fleckle

From what I read Celebrity does not have a uniform policy for b2b passengers. Sometimes there is lunch, sometimes not. Sometimes you must disembark, sometimes not. Is there any way to find out ahead of time what they will do on our cruise? We are doing a b2b to Alaska on the Millennium in August, with turnaround in Seward. Would sure be nice to get a bag of laundry done.

From what I read Celebrity does not have a uniform policy for b2b passengers. Sometimes there is lunch, sometimes not. Sometimes you must disembark, sometimes not. Is there any way to find out ahead of time what they will do on our cruise? We are doing a b2b to Alaska on the Millennium in August, with turnaround in Seward. Would sure be nice to get a bag of laundry done.

I know this does not really answer your question! But, what has worked for us is to take a ship tour. When we return they either come on the tour bus and give us our new cards, or take us as a group to where we may pick up our new cards. Our "new" cabin is ready for us to unpack as soon as we reboard. It would also work for you to disembark and do laundry or sightsee on your own--anything to stay out of the way of the overworked stewards on turnaround day. Use your time to enjoy the port--and stay off the ship as long as possible!

The best way to find out what the procedures are for B2B day is to ask the Hotel Manager. Usually, if you attend the Cruise Critic Connections reception which happens early on the cruise, all of the officers attend that event and it is easy to ask the Hotel Manager at that time. I received excellent information on the Eclipse Connections Party this past April, which was really helpful for my wife who was very relieved to know that she would not need to leave the ship.

The mandatory disembarkation on turnaround day at USA ports is for immigration purposes.

With a turnaround day in Seward, there is no immigration involved, so there will not be a mandatory leaving of the ship

.........We are doing a b2b to Alaska on the Millennium in August, with turnaround in Seward. Would sure be nice to get a bag of laundry done.
But if the weather is nice that day, it would be a shame to waste your one day in Seward on laundry instead of using it to take an amazing excursion up into the Kenai Fjords.

When the weather cooperates, that is one of the top Alaska excursions for both scenery and wildlife.

But if the weather is nice that day, it would be a shame to waste your one day in Seward on laundry instead of using it to take an amazing excursion up into the Kenai Fjords.

When the weather cooperates, that is one of the top Alaska excursions for both scenery and wildlife.

Absolutely.....Kenai fjords is one of the most beautiful boat rides ever....we took one that was about 4 hours long and saw whales, otter and while taking a picture of an interesting glacial formation, I heard a loud crack and the formation fell into the sea!!! One of my best pictures ever!!! Forget the laundry....do as fleckle says...take a Kenai fjords tour...you won't be sorry. :D

Almost all of our cruises are b2b on up to b2b2b2b2b2, There isn't really a "normal". You will be given instructions, and with some luck they may work out that way. It's really not a big deal. I typically book when the schedules are released so we have never had to change cabins. Don't plan on being able to get in your cabin early, we have only had that happen a couple of times.

It's really nice to not have to put your luggage out. :)