Seven Mile Beach and 18 Month Old

greeneyedancr89139

We are going on a cruise in September and are thinking of doing the beach in Cayman. I think it will be best if we were to take a bus to the beach so that we can leave whenever. I have looked at Royal Palms but are there any other places that rent cabanas or chairs with umbrellas? Does Royal Palms only do cabansas? I need shade for the little one.

Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

In general, along Seven Mile Beach, there's three types of beach access spots.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

Beach Clubs (for lack of a better term):

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

- popular spots include Royal Palms, Calico Jacks and Tiki Beach

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Public Beach/Calico Jacks/SeaGrape - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

Most beaches have umbrellas for rent. Be sure to use PLENTY of sunscreen...you can get sun even in the shade!!! BTW...all of the beaches are public.....if you want to use hotel facilities, there is a charge for that.

Edited by cb at sea

• 5 weeks later...

Just a note, hotels DO offer day passes for cruise guests on Grand Cayman.

I used to live in Grand Cayman and had friends who worked in the hospitality industry and verified this.

Marriott, Westin, and Grand Cayman Beach Suites offer day passes, but you would need to contact them directly for pricing and further information.

We actually like Tiki because the large bar area offers DEEP shade and it was way less crowded than other places we've been there. :)

With a young child it's always nice to have the option of DEEP shade in a comfortable sitting area after being in the sun long enough. ;)

LuLu

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip: We were just in GC a few days ago. We usually use cabs because the buses are difficult to maneuver. In GC they were so easy. Walk 2 blocks back from the pier to the library. Look to your right - small bus station booth. They will send you on your way immediately. Bus stops for the return trip are well-marked and they will drop you right at the pier.

• 5 months later...

So glad to have found this thread! Our upcoming cruise will be our first time in Grand Cayman and none of the excursions really jumped out at us (it doesn't help that one kid refuses to snorkel and one is only three). I think we will be heading to Public Beach. Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, we can bring our sand toys and buy lunch at a restaurant nearby, right? And take a bus to and from?

So glad to have found this thread! Our upcoming cruise will be our first time in Grand Cayman and none of the excursions really jumped out at us (it doesn't help that one kid refuses to snorkel and one is only three). I think we will be heading to Public Beach. Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, we can bring our sand toys and buy lunch at a restaurant nearby, right? And take a bus to and from?

Yup. And Public Beach is a great choice since they have a playground for when they get tired of playing in the sand.

• 2 weeks later...
Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

In general, along Seven Mile Beach, there's three types of beach access spots.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

Beach Clubs (for lack of a better term):

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

- popular spots include Royal Palms, Calico Jacks and Tiki Beach

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Public Beach/Calico Jacks/SeaGrape - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

Thanks for all the valuable info. Would you know how long it takes to get to the Public Beach by bus?

As well, do you know how much the bus would be and do they run regularly?

Thanks

Thanks for all the valuable info. Would you know how long it takes to get to the Public Beach by bus?

As well, do you know how much the bus would be and do they run regularly?

Thanks

Took us about 6-7 min on the way there last week and 12-15 min coming back due to traffic. Please see my post about public buses on this board from earlier today.

• 1 year later...
I'm looking for a port restaurant. It's been several years since I was there. Used to always go to Breezes. Looking for something new?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out caymangoodtaste.com - lots of great choices!

• 2 weeks later...