Woodwind tours

mcordry

We will be in Bonaire in April 2016. We have booked Woodwind tours. I know there is a lot on info on this tour company. But I am looking at info for a specific tour that we have booked. We booked the Snorkeling & Sailing tour. Any feedback on this specific tour would be appreciated

Are you doing the three-hour or the four-hour snorkel & sail? We did the four-hour, which visited two spots on Klein Bonaire and included a hot lunch. Best darn snorkeling excursion we have every been on!

If you have specific questions, let me know.

We will be in Bonaire in April 2016. We have booked Woodwind tours. I know there is a lot on info on this tour company. But I am looking at info for a specific tour that we have booked. We booked the Snorkeling & Sailing tour. Any feedback on this specific tour would be appreciated

Woodwind is not a tour company, but a husband and wife who do snorkel trips out on their boat. They go out in the AM or the PM, depending on what time your ship is in, sometimes on multi -ship days, they do both.

Their website and many posts on this board explain where they go - what exact info are you looking for? The info is pretty cut and dried. It's a snorkel intensive trip on a working boat, with lunch (on the AM trip, anyway, not sure about the PM one.)

I've been multiple times, as have others on this board, maybe someone can answer a specific question. If not, email Ulf at the address he sent your confirmation from, he will respond quickly with any answers you need.

• 3 months later...
Woodwind is not a tour company, but a husband and wife who do snorkel trips out on their boat. They go out in the AM or the PM, depending on what time your ship is in, sometimes on multi -ship days, they do both.

Their website and many posts on this board explain where they go - what exact info are you looking for? The info is pretty cut and dried. It's a snorkel intensive trip on a working boat, with lunch (on the AM trip, anyway, not sure about the PM one.)

I've been multiple times, as have others on this board, maybe someone can answer a specific question. If not, email Ulf at the address he sent your confirmation from, he will respond quickly with any answers you need.

Since they are sold out the day we are in Bonaire.... Can anyone reccommend something similar?

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the afternoon snorkel trip this past week and it included a delicious early dinner (around 4:30 - 5 pm) with dessert. My DH and I have snorkeled in many places and we both agree that this was the absolutely best run trip we have ever been on. The guides are fantastic and incredibly safety conscious. We were in 3 groups of 6 or 7 each with its own guide and drift snorkeling is about as easy as it gets since you are never swimming against the current. The variety of fish and coral was incredible. Woodwind was definitely a highlight of our cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
We just did the afternoon snorkel trip this past week and it included a delicious early dinner (around 4:30 - 5 pm) with dessert. My DH and I have snorkeled in many places and we both agree that this was the absolutely best run trip we have ever been on. The guides are fantastic and incredibly safety conscious. We were in 3 groups of 6 or 7 each with its own guide and drift snorkeling is about as easy as it gets since you are never swimming against the current. The variety of fish and coral was incredible. Woodwind was definitely a highlight of our cruise!

Have to agree with your review...this company is top notch!! Just snorkeled with them this past Wednesday and the staff is amazing. Have never had such an experience on a snorkeling trip. They literally cannot do enough for you...need equipment, no problem...need prescription lenses in your mask, no problem...need something to drink, no problem...need some personal attention in the water, no problem, not sure what type of fish that is, no problem...they explain everything you are seeing. Add to that the fact that they provide a hot meal with dessert on the way back and whatever you want to drink and this excursion is a home run! They even have a photographer on staff who takes pictures while you're in the water. And it's worth the money to buy the pictures! Don't hesitate to book with Woodwind...because if you do, they'll be sold out!

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

We did the 4 hour snorkeling tour on 11/24. Loved it! Not only is it really great snorkeling, but the service was really outstanding. I don't think that I've ever been on a snorkeling boat with so many staff members. They took the time to fit and clean our snorkel masks as well as provide UV shirts to help our Indiana skin. When we got in the water, they split us up into smaller groups so that we could each swim with a guide who would point out interesting features (the turtle is right here *points*) and tell us about the sea life that we were seeing. On-board, there was always someone offering us a beer or other drink. I didn't realize that lunch was included, so I hadn't messaged beforehand that I'm a vegetarian, but when lunch was brought around and I told them that, they said "no problem" and brought a vegetarian meal.

Only issue was that my waterproof camera stopped working so I didn't get as many pictures as I would like.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, how far is the walk from the cruise ship? (Slightly mobility challenged)

It's not a long walk - maybe 5 to 7 minutes without any issues. You can see the waterfront hotel that includes their office and dock from the cruise ship dock. I was having leg issues and just took it very slow and still got there in about 10 minutes.

Can you just stay on the boat or just float around it if you don't want to snorkel?

You can stay on the boat but I don't think they'll let you float around since this is drift snorkeling (the current does all the work and the ship moves to meet you) and everyone is assigned to a group (we had 3 on our excursion) with a group leader. If you have questions, send Dee an email - she and her husband are very responsive.

It's not a long walk - maybe 5 to 7 minutes without any issues. You can see the waterfront hotel that includes their office and dock from the cruise ship dock. I was having leg issues and just took it very slow and still got there in about 10 minutes.

I thought it was a bit of a walk, maybe half a mile. Really enjoyed our time on the Woodwind. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the boat? It looks like a lot of people and not a lot of space per person. Is there any shade for folks that don't want to get in the water but want to go on the trip with their group? How easy is it to get on/off the boat? (both at the dock and at the snorkel locations)

Thanks so very much!

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the boat? It looks like a lot of people and not a lot of space per person. Is there any shade for folks that don't want to get in the water but want to go on the trip with their group? How easy is it to get on/off the boat? (both at the dock and at the snorkel locations)

Thanks so very much!

You will step from the dock on to the boat that is going up and down with the water. Guests generally stay topside. There isn't any shade to speak of. You go down a ladder into the water at the snorkel sites. The crew is there to help you each time. We found the crew to be excellent. We had those on board who were leary of snorkeling due to their lack of swimming skills. They were provided with flotation so they could still enjoy the snorkeling. the groups were divided by ability so that those who needed extra help got it.

We were on the Woodwind in November during our Bonaire stop on the Norwegian Dawn 14 day repositioning cruise from Boston to New Orleans. This was the best excursion we've ever done and I highly recommend the Woodwind.

There were a number of cruise critic members from our roll call who booked and we were all amazed by the quality of the snorkel equipment available and the personalized service in picking the right equipment. We were in the beginner group and had Dee herself as our in water guide and leader. She was kind enough to actually "tow" one fearful person so they could enjoy the snorkeling along with the rest of us.

I've had difficulty in the past with snorkel masks fitting me and hate the mouthpiece. Not a problem with Woodwind - check out the picture of me below with the full face mask. These don't come with different prescriptions but for me was just wonderful.

They have regular masks with various prescriptions. One gal actually cried because it was the first time snorkeling she could actually see properly to enjoy the beauty.

Woodwind also offers free use of a variety of clothing and safety equipment. I'm no lightweight but they had a full body dry suit if that is the proper name to protect me from sunburn. They offered caps for baldies and body shirts for those who didn't want full suits.

Here are three photos

ce4948a7-e1af-41e7-9fe5-3427eecc26b1_zps2djlztmp.jpg

81b8076d-3dc3-41fe-b3b0-aff30d23258f_zpsex0wsfj2.jpg

833800d0-cc21-4bbe-a760-ce99c46ffab2_zps0oei6he5.jpg

Any suggestions for alternative companies to snorkel with?

Not sure when you are trying to book, but DO put yourself on the waiting list! Each time I have gone they have had a "no show" or cancellation. And last trip one guy had received a message while on the ship that they had room. Hope it works out for you!

Not sure when you are trying to book, but DO put yourself on the waiting list! Each time I have gone they have had a "no show" or cancellation. And last trip one guy had received a message while on the ship that they had room. Hope it works out for you!

Thanks - think we are first on the waiting list for March. Hoping to have a backup plan just in case. Would hate to miss out! Glad it worked so well for you!!! Fingers crossed for us!

I have it booked but should I be nervous to only have an hour that they say she will have us back and then the 10 min walk back to the ship...Guess I have never liked to do things that close on time!

I have it booked but should I be nervous to only have an hour that they say she will have us back and then the 10 min walk back to the ship...Guess I have never liked to do things that close on time!

Just did their snorkeling tour and it was excellent..... they have UV protection caps/vests or full body; different types of snorkeling including the full face snorkel which is amazing and their customer service skills and professionalism are top notch. It is only a 7 to 10 minute walk....don't have to run. Just walk off the ship, turn right towards a blue building ( quite visible when you disembark ) and Ulf will be there waiting. Our ship was departing at 2pm and all aboard was 1:30....the tour ended at 1240, my husband had time to try different sizes of full face snorkel in the hotel pool ( he wanted to buy the snorkel from Dee ) and still we boarded the ship at about 1:10....and we did not run ! Try the full face snorkel...one can breath with the nose and the mouth....

the snorkeling was beautiful.... coral reefs, so many species of fish....and many turtles....truly a wonderful "scenery"

Edited by pabi
added words

Just did their snorkeling tour and it was excellent..... they have UV protection caps/vests or full body; different types of snorkeling including the full face snorkel which is amazing and their customer service skills and professionalism are top notch. It is only a 7 to 10 minute walk....don't have to run. Just walk off the ship, turn right towards a blue building ( quite visible when you disembark ) and Ulf will be there waiting. Our ship was departing at 2pm and all aboard was 1:30....the tour ended at 1240, my husband had time to try different sizes of full face snorkel in the hotel pool ( he wanted to buy the snorkel from Dee ) and still we boarded the ship at about 1:10....and we did not run ! Try the full face snorkel...one can breath with the nose and the mouth....

the snorkeling was beautiful.... coral reefs, so many species of fish....and many turtles....truly a wonderful "scenery"

Thank you so much for letting me know and looking forward to this!!! I will try the full face snorkel for sure! I have always thought they would be neat to try. Really excited also that you said you saw a lot of turtles!

Thank you once again!

Thank you so much for letting me know and looking forward to this!!! I will try the full face snorkel for sure! I have always thought they would be neat to try. Really excited also that you said you saw a lot of turtles!

Thank you once again!

You are very welcome. Dee has the full face snorkel for sale....actually cheaper than if one would order it and pay for shipping charges. I was lucky to also see a squid....beautiful underwater "paradise". Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise that included Bonaire. We did our second trip with Woodwind and cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience was - again! Dee and her crew are absolutely fantastic - very patient, concerned, enthusiastic, etc. They truly care whether you are having a good experience. We give Woodwind our highest rating - an "11" out of "10"!!