What is your favorite thing to do in Progreso?

My husband and I will be in Progreso in less than two months. We definitely plan on getting off of the ship while there, but we're having a hard time finding an excursion that we're excited about. What have you enjoyed? Sell me on your favorite excursion or adventure! :)

*We do not drink and do not enjoy sitting around on a beach all day, so the all-inclusive resort excursions are probably not for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/26/2017 at 4:25 PM, Gintraveler said:

We just did the Cuzama Cenotes tour, it was super fun and the cenotes are really beautiful. We had a wonderful time. We booked through Shore Excursionner.

Did you feel pressed for time to make it back to the ship with this tour? We are considering booking this one with 3 Cuzama Cenotes through Shore Excursioner also. Our ship time in Progreso is 9am-5pm. I don't want to be running back to the ship! LOL! Just wondering how long it actually takes and is there some room for traffic/error/whatever in their planning? 

If you are planning on leaving the city area, I would advise booking through the CL. We did ruins when I was there years ago. Great views and very relaxing trying to think of how life must have been back when these cities were populated. Its nice to look into the culture that has disappeared. 

22 hours ago, kaimountain said:

Did you feel pressed for time to make it back to the ship with this tour? We are considering booking this one with 3 Cuzama Cenotes through Shore Excursioner also. Our ship time in Progreso is 9am-5pm. I don't want to be running back to the ship! LOL! Just wondering how long it actually takes and is there some room for traffic/error/whatever in their planning? 

It looks like this tour is only 5 hours long and it comes with the "Back to Ship" guarantee.  They should pay up to $500 per person to get you to your next port if the excursion results in you missing the boat.  We used them for our Chichen Itza tour (6 hours) last March and had no problems getting back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

We booked though autoprogreso when we went and saw the ruins and cenote in Dzebilchaltun. We had more than enough time to make it back to the ship without concern. It was a nice excursion. My kids (10 and 7) couldn't stop raving about the cenote - it was gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

We've always just taken the bus (there are everywhere) down to the beach area where there is shops and restaurants.  There are ladies with tents set up to do massages (very cheap) we always enjoy that.  the beach is not great at all!