Amtrak trains

Mary49

I've taken the train to & from Tuscaloosa, AL. The scenery is not really all that great on that section of the route, and more often than bot the train is delayed, so do plan that into your travel schedule.

My brother has taken the train to/from San Diego, and he says the scenery is okay, except for West Texas and parts of New Mexico where there is NOTHING out the windows. Again, he noticed that the train is late more often than it is on time.

It's definitely an alternative to flying, but do make sure you have plenty of time to spare and be prepared in case there are problems on the tracks and your have to be bussed at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't do it unless I had a lot of time to waste. I just did a quick dummy booking search and NYP to NOL is 30 hours. There is no way I would do that. Maybe if I lived somewhere relatively close such as ATL and MEM where the journey would be in the 8-10 hour range I might consider it. I know New York airport can be congested but it certainly wouldn't take 30 hours!

• 4 weeks later...