Windstar - Star ships vs. Azamara

Angus0121

We have sailed and enjoyed the Azamara small ship experience and are wondering how the Windstar - Star ships (old Seabourn ships, apx. 200 passengers) compare.

Some of the Windstar itineraries look very interesting.

Input is greatly appreciated.

They're happy little ships- significantly smaller than Azamara. I can only speak for them when they were with Seabourn, but they were well maintained til the handover. They're more like little floating country clubs than ships- everyone gets to know everyone (for better or for worse). They're definitely on the older side, but must have been so ahead of their time that it doesn't show a lot. Not up to the standards of the new Seabourn fleet (which I suspect is why they were sold) but I miss the fact Seabourn doesn't have anything that small anymore.

That being said I don't think they would be as much fun or work as well as they did under Seabourn without the all inclusive, luxury product they had. But that's just personal taste.

They ships themselves are great and only happy memories of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on 30 Windstar cruises and 10 Azamara. I love them both. Both have similar demographics- well traveled people who care more about the destination or itinerary than ship activities although Azamara passengers may tend to be a bit older. Service and food on both lines are comparable. Both have the same dress code and relaxed atmosphere with their own events: Windstar's deck barbecue vs. Azamara's White night. Azamazing evenings vs. Windstar's Private Event. Being a larger ship Azamara has more shipboard activities and dining venues. There is more to do in cold or rainy weather on Azamara. I prefer Windstar's sailing ships in more tropical areas, I prefer Azamara in cooler climates. I like the suites on Windstar's yachts better than the club continent suites on Azamara although Azamara has balconies and Windstar does not. On Windstar most activities are outside, on Azamara most activities are inside. When it comes down to it I choose the line by the itinerary first and the ship second.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Azamara has nice ships. I like Azamara cruises. Windstar ships are nice. Windstar ships have fewer passengers, better cabins(especially the star yachts), excellent food, and fabulous service. Azamara has 2 ships. Azamara has several different types of cabins including several verandas. Windstar sailing ships are all oceanview no verandas. Windstar motor yachts have all suites with a few verandas. Windstar has 6 yachts. Windstar cruises visit more places. Azamara has more entertainment. I sail on both lines. You will enjoy either line.