Travel Health Insurance "trip report" for actual claim

Hello

I would like to provide a “trip report” for the healthinsurance and claim experience I had.

I receive “travel” insurance from one of my credit cards forfree. It covers trip cancellation, interruption,lost luggage, etc.

I only needed to buy “health insurance” for my 10 day cruiseround trip from NY City to the Caribbean.

I bought a Medex Assist policy from Uniited Health Group for$63 for my 73 year old mother. Note: Medex Assist is now UnitedHealthcare Global.

The policy covered $100,000 of medical benefit (including evacuation)and had a $25 deductible.

Mom got sick on day 7 of our 10 day cruise. She had diarrhea and a slight fever. After almost 2 days of self treatment werealized we needed some help. We wentto see the ship doctor. We were intheir “Emergency Room” for 3 hours where we saw the doctor 2 or 3 times, nursechecked in 2-3 times, mom received IV fluids for dehydration, IV Tylenol forfever and blood draw for tests and some antibiotics. She has a bacterial infection. Not Norovirus.After 3 hours she felt much better and they released her.

The bill was $1278. Yikes!

I contacted United Healthcare. Their claims are processed by a 3rdparty. I submitted the claim and it paidoff exactly as I was expecting. In about10 days we received a check for $1253. That was the $1278 charges less the $25 deductible.

I have purchased travel health insurance from this companymultiple times. The buying process isvery, very easy. This was my first time submitting a claim and it was easy,peasy.

Summary – I paid $63 for a 10 day insurance policy for my 73year old mother. She incurred $1278 ofemergency room costs onboard the ship. The insurance company paid $1253 after they deducted her $25deductible. To be complete, I paid $44to cover me and I had no claims.

I was very pleased with the buying, claim submitting andclaim paying process.

I hope this helps folks with travel health insurance questions.

• 2 weeks later...