Backup Advice

In 6 weeks we sail to Norway, last year when we cruised I took my iPad hoping to back up my photos using apples lightning adapter for SD cards. It wasn't very successful in the end I gave up on the process as it was very slow, my iPad is 128 GB, as such it has plenty of storage space I think the problem was using a Kingston wireless SD card reader and portable hard drive. Not sure what to do this year we sail for eight days seven nights as such I have bought 10 new U3 16gb SD cards of which I plan to use one per day and then switch to a fresh card I could back up just to my iPad but taking Raw photos this will take time.

Just wondering what everybody else does, I have been looking on eBay at possibly purchasing an old netbook purely for transferring files from the SD card to a hard drive, suitable netbooks look but they cost about £80 but not sure if it's worthwhile. I'm a Mac user at home so this machine would purely be used for file transfer and probably not used again, definitely do not want to take my 15" MacBook Pro out with me far too bulky.

Ideas anyone?

In 6 weeks we sail to Norway, last year when we cruised I took my iPad hoping to back up my photos using apples lightning adapter for SD cards. It wasn't very successful in the end I gave up on the process as it was very slow, my iPad is 128 GB, as such it has plenty of storage space I think the problem was using a Kingston wireless SD card reader and portable hard drive. Not sure what to do this year we sail for eight days seven nights as such I have bought 10 new U3 16gb SD cards of which I plan to use one per day and then switch to a fresh card I could back up just to my iPad but taking Raw photos this will take time.

Just wondering what everybody else does, I have been looking on eBay at possibly purchasing an old netbook purely for transferring files from the SD card to a hard drive, suitable netbooks look but they cost about £80 but not sure if it's worthwhile. I'm a Mac user at home so this machine would purely be used for file transfer and probably not used again, definitely do not want to take my 15" MacBook Pro out with me far too bulky.

Ideas anyone?

I use a transcend rdp9(check on amazon)

You need an android phone (don't know if they have an apple version)

I just plug this device into my phones usb port and copy files from the original sd card onto a large usb flash drive.

Quick cheap and compact

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I have gone from laptop to dedicated backup device and so on. On the last two cruises, I just backed up to my Kindle Fire with an OTG cable and a Transcend reader. It would take about 4-5 minutes to copy a day's worth of photos and it was handy being able to flip through them to see what I got. I tried doing the same with my phone and a type-C OTG cable and was blown away with the speed of the USB 3.1 connection. Despite that, I will likely continue to use the Fire with it's bigger screen but it's good to know there's a backup to my backup if needed.

Dave

I find phone/tablet memory sizes too limiting for my needs and my 17" laptop too big.

Just picked up a 13" 2in1 at Christmas. So much more practical for travelling. Battery life is great and fits well in my underseat bag.

Another tip.... seriously consider getting a USB 3.0 card reader. File transfers are so quick and this maximizes battery life.

Just ran an experiment, I have a 16gb SD card filled with Raw files, using the apple SD to lightning adapter it took 14 mins to transfer to my iPad Air 2. I then wirelessly backed it all up to a USB drive connected to my Kingston mobillite G3. This took an hour so not ideal but it does work. Looks like I am Going to use my iPad after all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take my laptop and import all my photos into Lightroom when I get a chance. Some nights when I dont feel like doing anything I will start playing with them in Lightroom and Photoshop. My laptop is a 15" MacBook pro.

We do the exact same thing. (only i'm using a 13" macbook). I also have an external HD (usb powered) that I back up all my shots on before I start dumping the, crap, missed, out of focus etc etc etc shots from my regular hard drive.

Just got back from Europe. I had decided to leave my laptop behind because of the threat of a laptop ban on the return flight. So backup plan was use an Android tablet (LG G-Pad 2). I put the biggest micro-SD card it could take, and used a USB OTG cable to suck the day's photos off the camera. I then used OTG cable and a USB "Y-cable" to connect the tablet to a small 1TB USB hard drive (the other line from the Y goes to a USB power source - see https://petapixel.com/2013/03/26/how-to-back-up-your-pictures-using-an-android-tablet-and-external-hard-drives/ ). Could also backup instead to a large capacity USB thumb drive (or 2).

I also brought multiple SD cards and swapped them out every 2 days so a failed card would lose ALL the pictures. As a result I had photos stored in 3 places - original SD cards, SD card on tablet, and on external hard drive. If I had to check the tablet, I could pop the SD card out and bring it in my carry-on, along with the original SD cards and disk drive.

I have also see Apple Lightning-USB OTG cables, but don't know how well that works with iOS devices.

I also brought multiple SD cards and swapped them out every 2 days so a failed card would lose ALL the pictures.

Ugh did not catch this before I posted...I swapped in new SD cards every couple of days so that a failed card would NOT lose all the pictures from the trip.

Ugh did not catch this before I posted...I swapped in new SD cards every couple of days so that a failed card would NOT lose all the pictures from the trip.

I chose "typo" over "***" when I read that. ;)

That 20-minute edit rule has bitten me from behind more than once!

Dave

I have a device from Hypershop called a Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2, current version now UDMA3. You can buy it with the hard drive or SSD or add your own (I did this, very easy, I'm not particularly talented in this area!). I put in a 1TB drive, which is overkill but the price difference made it seem reasonable.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

It will copy the RAW files too, and you can view them in color. I take a lot of pictures, and both my ipad and kindle are not going to have enough storage. It's small, light weight and will just copy my cards while I'm doing something else (like reading my Kindle). It has slots for SD and compact flash and you can attach a card reader if you use something else.

I also change out my cards daily, and have sufficient amount of them to last for the trip.