The Bacon "Buttie" Debate

nordski

You guys are teaching me a lot about food and drink items. I had to look up on the internet what these are just like ice wine..... Never had this happen on another thread. Love it

This is why I like traveling so much. You learn so much about other foods and cultures.

Thank you for the learning experience

Kathy

This must be one of the best threads for a long time, bacon and beer!!

Bacon sandwich has to be Back bacon (dry cured preferably) crisped fat, HP sauce, white bread, French unsalted butter.

Forget the tea and coffee and have a pint of the Devils buttermilk to wash it down, otherwise known as, a pint of beautifully poured Guinness.

You guys are teaching me a lot about food and drink items. I had to look up on the internet what these are just like ice wine..... Never had this happen on another thread. Love it

This is why I like traveling so much. You learn so much about other foods and cultures.

Thank you for the learning experience

Kathy

As the OP I certainly agree. I will be sampling a Bacon Butty or two, but while I am certain that they will be enjoyable, I doubt that they will have the same resonance.

The posters here are terrifically helpful, well-informed and closely mirror the kind of cruisers you will find onboard.

Although there is one who, although always quite sophisticated in taste, on this thread shockingly seemed to suggest that one cannot distinguish Canadian beer from American beer.

Since she is very open-minded, this view would be easily corrected by an Eastern Seaboard or Alaska itinerary. I understand Azamara offers some enticing options in the summer of 2019 as alternatives to the Med. :)

As the OP I certainly agree. I will be sampling a Bacon Butty or two, but while I am certain that they will be enjoyable, I doubt that they will have the same resonance.

The posters here are terrifically helpful, well-informed and closely mirror the kind of cruisers you will find onboard.

Although there is one who, although always quite sophisticated in taste, on this thread shockingly seemed to suggest that one cannot distinguish Canadian beer from American beer.

Since she is very open-minded, this view would be easily corrected by an Eastern Seaboard or Alaska itinerary. I understand Azamara offers some enticing options in the summer of 2019 as alternatives to the Med. :)

LOL nordski, how dare I suggest no difference in Canadian and American beers? 😉

As for Alaska...been there on Silversea, beautiful scenery and wildlife....but not many shopping opportunities unless you want a fleece and they have never heard of Montalbano!

BTW Lottie and others, when on a tour in Venice do NOT mention Brunetti -- I got quite an earful from an irate Venetian who finds those books very insulting to Venice and Venetians!!!

And the easiest place to sample them is "Greggs" sandwich shops.

Before 11.00am you can get a bacon or sausage butty and a fresh coffee for £2.

Splash out for another £1 and you can have a baguette!!

Never let it be said UK does not embrace foreign food.

3 in both Southampton and Liverpool

Best place for a bacon butty has to be the lounge at Heathrow airport, way off being the best example but it usually means we are flying off for an Azamara cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me, and it always was at the back of Smithgate Market where the meat porters went to their café - it was near my work in those days. My son took me to a great place in Borough Market that also did good ones - and do not be afraid folks do explore there if you are in London, the food stalls in the day are wonderful.

Anything that is not mass produced is my favourite - personally I'm not a fan of Greggs as its too samey wherever you go you get the same, I'm more a local café lover of the bacon butty.

Of course, when you come to Scotland, you should try a haggis slice butty, that's our staple in the works café - a slice of haggis grilled and put in a softie (that's a much loved type of roll on the west coast of Scotland) spread with butter. No sauce required

Well, I now have 4 possible sources of a good bacon butty: Heathrow, the motorway to Southampton, Gregg's in Southampton, or a side street in Liverpool. And I must add a cup of "builders tea" (love that phrase), or even a Guinness.

Thanks to all.

However, a colleague who usually spends at least one summer month in England suggests forget the Butty, go for an authentic Cornish Pasty instead.

Oh, dear!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL nordski, how dare I suggest no difference in Canadian and American beers? [emoji6]

As for Alaska...been there on Silversea, beautiful scenery and wildlife....but not many shopping opportunities unless you want a fleece and they have never heard of Montalbano!

Ahh, the shopping problem is understandable but easily solved. Arrange for a 2-3 day layover in Montreal or Toronto, and a pre-cruise stay in Vancouver.

I'm guessing Montreal would be your best choice with forays on Rue St.-Catherine or Rue Sherbrooke.

In other neighbourhoods, your partner might find some interesting micro-breweries.

And in Alaskan or British Columbia ports, who doesn't need an extra tuque, pair of moccasins and glamorous long underwear? :)

Now your talking nordski! Great shopping opportunities in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.

More food discussion....how about Welsh Rarebit? My usual snack on returning home from a cruise. For the Americans and possibly some Canadians ....LOL who are looking puzzled about now, it's grilled cheese on white toast with Worcester sauce. I prefer Welsh Caerphilly cheese but I think Cheddar is more traditional. It's delicious, especially with Brain's SA beer, known around here as Skull Attack!

Well, I now have 4 possible sources of a good bacon butty: Heathrow, the motorway to Southampton, Gregg's in Southampton, or a side street in Liverpool. And I must add a cup of "builders tea" (love that phrase), or even a Guinness.

Thanks to all.

However, a colleague who usually spends at least one summer month in England suggests forget the Butty, go for an authentic Cornish Pasty instead.

Oh, dear!

But you would need to include Cornwall on your trip.

Now your talking nordski! Great shopping opportunities in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. ��

More food discussion....how about Welsh Rarebit? My usual snack on returning home from a cruise. For the Americans and possibly some Canadians ....LOL who are looking puzzled about now, it's grilled cheese on white toast with Worcester sauce. I prefer Welsh Caerphilly cheese but I think Cheddar is more traditional. It's delicious, especially with Brain's SA beer, known around here as Skull Attack!

Brains SA - loverly!

Try sprinkling paprika on your Welsh rarebit - also loverly.:D

Of course, when you come to Scotland, you should try a haggis slice butty, that's our staple in the works café - a slice of haggis grilled and put in a softie (that's a much loved type of roll on the west coast of Scotland) spread with butter. No sauce required

That's now on my list for our Edinburgh stop. Any suggested providers near the Golden Mile?

Some years ago an executive I knew invited us to a banquet with haggis and the requisite Robbie Burns recital. I'm suspicious that the haggis itself was ersatz.

Now your talking nordski! Great shopping opportunities in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. ��

!

Absolutely! From trendy to more traditional.

In Vancouver a young friend was a designer at the yoga-wear company Lululemon.

If you have an interest in emerging designers, I can certainly gets some recommendations.

Just to get slightly back on topic - I hope Bonnie and her F&B people are reading this - Azamara's beer selection leaves 'a bit to be desired' IMHO.

Hello SteveH2508, I'm following along but have yet to share with our Hotel Department. If you want to post here (or on a new thread) your latest beer requests, I'll pass them along. :beer-mug:

Hello SteveH2508, I'm following along but have yet to share with our Hotel Department. If you want to post here (or on a new thread) your latest beer requests, I'll pass them along. :beer-mug:

Hi Bonnie

I am sure that most Brits who like British beer would be pleased to have Fullers London Pride available. I seem to recall that Royal Caribbean might have had Old Speckled Hen - this would also tick most Brit's boxes. I could give a long list but I do realize the issues of re-supply around the world (e.g. decent tonic water;)).

I have not sailed on Celebrity but they may carry some decent British beers. Other posters may be able to help here.

For me, and it always was at the back of Smithgate Market where the meat porters went to their café - it was near my work in those days. My son took me to a great place in Borough Market that also did good ones - and do not be afraid folks do explore there if you are in London, the food stalls in the day are wonderful.

Anything that is not mass produced is my favourite - personally I'm not a fan of Greggs as its too samey wherever you go you get the same, I'm more a local café lover of the bacon butty.

.............and a deep fried Mars bar for dessert!!