The Baths in Tortola was our highlight.

The ship was sold out for "The Bath's". We have cruised before and knew there is usually vendors close by offering excursions. And YES I know you take a chance not going with the ships excursion desk. However, I am very happy we did not book through Disney for this.

It was a 5 minuet walk from boat to Speedys ferry that took you to Virgin Gorda on a VERY fast and I mean fast ferry. It was a double decker the bottom was very nice. Air conditioning and even T.V's. It took only 30 minuets and ran every hour. We paid $170 total for 3 adults and 3 children. That included the 10 min shuttle to the Baths once we got off the ferry. The shuttles ran every 20 minutes so nothing to worry about. We saved about $300!!!

How old were the kids? I would love to go to the Baths, but all of the Disney excursions are for older children. (I have an adventurous 4 year old and we are currently planning on taking the Jost Van Dyke boat to White Bay via DCL)

There is seldom a reason for doing excursions thru the ship. Unless something is VERY far away, and requires lots of transportation changes, you are usually better off on your own. The key is researching your ports, which you obviously did!

There is seldom a reason for doing excursions thru the ship. Unless something is VERY far away, and requires lots of transportation changes, you are usually better off on your own. The key is researching your ports, which you obviously did!

The key to the ship excursions is that you are paying for the ease and convenience. But you are definitely paying for it. If you are able bodied and can handle the "on your own" situation, it is nearly always a better deal. The most remarkable we found was a situation where the excursion was $145. The admission to the location was $5. BUT the transportation was a bit tricky on your own--bus from port to train station, train to near the attraction, 1.5 mile walk or taxi to the attraction vs. bus from the ship to the location and back. And of course, a tour guide on the bus.

The key to the ship excursions is that you are paying for the ease and convenience. But you are definitely paying for it. If you are able bodied and can handle the "on your own" situation' date=' it is nearly always a better deal. The most remarkable we found was a situation where the excursion was $145. The admission to the location was $5. BUT the transportation was a bit tricky on your own--bus from port to train station, train to near the attraction, 1.5 mile walk or taxi to the attraction vs. bus from the ship to the location and back. And of course, a tour guide on the bus.[/quote']

Yes! Totally agree! We are certainly taking a taxi to Magens in St. Thomas, but I haven't been to Tortola and I really can't figure out if Disney is being overly cautious about the Baths or if there is a reason they are inappropriate for a 4 yo. I'm (almost) just as happy to go to White Bay if it will be a better day for our family.

A 4 year old can have a great beach day at the baths. Whether they can swim thru the rock formations or not is largely up to the parents...and to the comfort level of the child. There are some places where it would be difficult for a parent and child to move thru a space together. But nothing says you need to go all the way thru the rock formations--you go as far as you are comfortable and then return to your entry point. Basically, the rocks are between two beaches....so if you go all the way, you simply arrive at a different beach. You are not in darkness; it is filtered sunlight.

A 4 year old can have a great beach day at the baths. Whether they can swim thru the rock formations or not is largely up to the parents...and to the comfort level of the child. There are some places where it would be difficult for a parent and child to move thru a space together. But nothing says you need to go all the way thru the rock formations--you go as far as you are comfortable and then return to your entry point. Basically' date=' the rocks are between two beaches....so if you go all the way, you simply arrive at a different beach. You are not in darkness; it is filtered sunlight.[/quote']

Thanks for the info!! This is our first DCL and first cruise where our oldest can really participate (and we are leaving the baby at home)...so attempting to over-prepare on land so we can relax and enjoy our week.

We actually had our "almost 3" year old grandson with us. There were 3 adults and also our 10 and 8 year old granddaughters. We walked down the devils cake side which was steep but more challenging for me then anyone else. It took me about 20 minuets. Once down it was AWESOME!!!! Then we went through the rocks (Baths) my husband was carrying 2 bags. It is about a 1/2 mile long and you do climb up stairs and crawl between HUGE rocks. I am 57'and over weight but I did it!!! Our grandson had no problem at all. In fact we had to slow him down. You definetly want to walk up the steps on the other side. Do NOT go back. There is a nice restaurant with a pool and showers for $2 at the top where you will get back on the shuttle that takes you back to the ferry. We loved it so much I am checking on renting a house there next summer for a week. Wish you could see my video's.