medical disembarkation

rln44

We were on the Encore recently and during a ship's tour of Jerusulem a passenger fell and broke her ankle and was transported to a local hospital. Upon inquiring about her the next day (we had dined with her and her husband) we were surprised to discover that she and her husband had been medically disembarked. I understand that ship's policy is to disembark any passenger who has a medical condition that the ship's doctor does not feel qualified to treat but I am not sure why a broken ankle would fit into that category (perhaps there was something additional of which we are unaware). If this happens does the ship reimburse the passengers for the lost days? We were about 4 or 5 days from the end of the voyage at Athens. Is there any help to get the passengers to the final port where they have presumably made flight arrangements to return home? Anybody know what Seabourn's policy is in regard to these issues.

Having broken my ankle in January while skiing in japan I can see why. I guess it depends on what "broken" means but often it is associated with dislocation and more than not further operation requiring pins/plates is required. If the hospital had provided X-rays, the SB medical officer must have deemed it needed further treatment.

I don't know what SB approach would be for recompense but surely that would be covered by travel insurance.

I don't know what SB approach would be for recompense but surely that would be covered by travel insurance.

My response exactly. Under its terms and conditions Seabourn requires passengers to have comprehensive medical and travel insurance to cover precisely these situations.

Having said that, from experience on previous cruises, Seabourn will have done their utmost through their port agents with support from the Purser's office to assist the passengers with dealing with the issue. This will have included help with rebooking flights, assistance with accommodation, sending in a couple of housekeeping staff (supervised by the Executive Housekeeper) to pack their belongings etc.

Clearly, we don't know the precise nature of the injury and whether there were other medical aspects to be taken into account. I believe Seabourn will have consulted closely with the hospital staff, the ship's doctor and the passengers (and probably Head Office in Seattle) before making the decision to disembark.

Is medical disembark inherently involuntary?

My experiences with (other people's) newly broken ankles are similar to described- possible surgery and other treatment/limitations that would make continuing an active vacation difficult and going home asap preferable.

My response exactly. Under its terms and conditions Seabourn requires passengers to have comprehensive medical and travel insurance to cover precisely these situations.

Having said that, from experience on previous cruises, Seabourn will have done their utmost through their port agents with support from the Purser's office to assist the passengers with dealing with the issue. This will have included help with rebooking flights, assistance with accommodation, sending in a couple of housekeeping staff (supervised by the Executive Housekeeper) to pack their belongings etc.

Clearly, we don't know the precise nature of the injury and whether there were other medical aspects to be taken into account. I believe Seabourn will have consulted closely with the hospital staff, the ship's doctor and the passengers (and probably Head Office in Seattle) before making the decision to disembark.

Not all broken ankles are the same and as mentioned some do require surgery right away.

Seabourn is not responsible for any reimbursement costs. It is up to the individual to have cruise insurance and if not just to understand the risks up front.

Keith

You have to remember with a cruise ship you are a long way from anywhere if a medical emergency strikes and getting there at 18 knots takes a while.

Should a complication arise on land it can be swiftly dealt with, the ships medical staff may not have wanted to accept liability in this instance. Complications can arise in the first 24 or 48 hours by which time you are in the middle of the ocean.

If something happens on board the ship can and will deal with it but they wouldn't want to knowingly take on a serious liability bearing in mind the rest of the guests don't want to have their travel plans disrupted by diverting or missing a port of call.

Henry