Ouch! - Sony A9 and 100-400 GMaster lens just announced....

pierces

Sony A9

• 24 MP Exmor RS sensor - stacked CMOS with 20x faster readout speed 50 - 204800 ISO.

• 20 FPS with AF/AE calculated at 60 FPS - 241 RAW or 362 JPEG image buffer

• No EVF Blackout 60 FPS refresh (same as human eye) - 3.6MP

• 693 AF points - 90% of imafe area

• 1/32,000s Shutter (non-mechanical, silent, vibration free)

• 5-Axis IBIS

• Dual Media Slots

• 4K full-frame video - increased readout speed nearly eliminates distortion (jello-legs)

NEW BATTERY!

• $4500

100-400 GMaster F4.5–5.6 GM

• Direct drive SSM focusing

• 49oz

• $2500

More detail here - http://thenewcamera.com/tag/sony-a9/ (Sony page is slammed right now)

May not change my need for a full-frame camera, but it will add to the lust.

Stacked version of the 24MP APS-C due soon?

*sigh*

Dave

Edited by pierces

I'm taking up a collection......

No way I'm spending $4500... and selling off all my Nikon gear.. and buying overpriced Sony FE lenses..... BUT...

This camera is simply... WOW. If it wasn't for the money, I'd want it.

I'm taking up a collection......

No way I'm spending $4500... and selling off all my Nikon gear.. and buying overpriced Sony FE lenses..... BUT...

This camera is simply... WOW. If it wasn't for the money, I'd want it.

I appreciate the features but view it like any other pro-level camera; I really don't need one. What has my heart going pit-a-pat is that the sensor tech and performance will likely trickle down to the enthusiast-level APS-C cameras. I'm skipping the A6500 but if something with this new tech shows up, I may not be able to keep my wallet from spewing money at it.

A6700 or A7000 anyone? :)

Dave

I appreciate the features but view it like any other pro-level camera; I really don't need one. What has my heart going pit-a-pat is that the sensor tech and performance will likely trickle down to the enthusiast-level APS-C cameras. I'm skipping the A6500 but if something with this new tech shows up, I may not be able to keep my wallet from spewing money at it.

A6700 or A7000 anyone? :)

Dave

Exactly.... I am curious to see how much trickles down to the A7iii. It will make switching to Sony full time very tempting for me. But selling all my Nikon stuff would be such a hassle, lol.

I wonder if Justin is eyeing the 100-400 lens for his birding...

Comeon...I'm offended that you think I'm that predictable. Making assumptions - we know that makes an *** out of both of us, right?

That said, yes, I'm seriously lusting after this lens for wildlife. ;)

I've been going over whether it could supplant my Tamron 150-600mm on LA-EA3 for the real long distance stuff. Advantages to Tamron: 600mm, F6.3, cheap, I already have it, can also use it on my A-mount body.

Advantages to the FE100-400mm: native focusing and full compatibility, stabilization, compatible with 1.4x and 2x TCs, and with 1.4x TC would give me 560mm at F8 - a bit shorter and slower than the Tamron but not too far off.

Then again, the A9 itself is a tempting beast. I don't care as much about full frame - in fact I prefer APS-C - nor is 20fps a big draw as I hardly even use 11fps - 8fps is plenty for me most of the time. But...massively improved compatibility with the LA-EA3 means continuous focus at up to 10fps is possible now AND sensor-based stabilization too. Front and rear control dials as well as jog dial as well as EV dial as well as focus and drive dials...very nice. My Menu option to stick most used menu items on one page, combined with Fn menu, means pretty much never hunting for anything in menus again. Larger battery - nice. Dual card slots - nice.

Comeon...I'm offended that you think I'm that predictable. Making assumptions - we know that makes an *** out of both of us, right?

That said, yes, I'm seriously lusting after this lens for wildlife. ;)

I've been going over whether it could supplant my Tamron 150-600mm on LA-EA3 for the real long distance stuff. Advantages to Tamron: 600mm, F6.3, cheap, I already have it, can also use it on my A-mount body.

Advantages to the FE100-400mm: native focusing and full compatibility, stabilization, compatible with 1.4x and 2x TCs, and with 1.4x TC would give me 560mm at F8 - a bit shorter and slower than the Tamron but not too far off.

Then again, the A9 itself is a tempting beast. I don't care as much about full frame - in fact I prefer APS-C - nor is 20fps a big draw as I hardly even use 11fps - 8fps is plenty for me most of the time. But...massively improved compatibility with the LA-EA3 means continuous focus at up to 10fps is possible now AND sensor-based stabilization too. Front and rear control dials as well as jog dial as well as EV dial as well as focus and drive dials...very nice. My Menu option to stick most used menu items on one page, combined with Fn menu, means pretty much never hunting for anything in menus again. Larger battery - nice. Dual card slots - nice.

Patience... in 2018 or 2019, you'll get most of those features in a $2,000 aps-c A7000.

Ok...I hadn't realized how small the A7 and now the A9 cameras actually are. That's a lot of sensor and tech crammed into that little box.

p2288297656.jpg

http://camerasize.com/ is a pretty cool site for comparing cameras.

Never having handled a D4 or D5, this was really surprising:

p2288310093.jpg

Granted, you could probably use the D5 for a framing hammer, but still...

Honestly, this is where I expected cameras to go 15+ years back when digital really started to take off. No need for big motors for film transport or massive pentaprisms or, of course, film. I guess using existing form factors was an easy path and it took that long to develop viewfinders with fast enough refresh and enough resolution to offer a viable alternative to the optical path with so little market pressure in that direction. I personally like the EVFs better (don't say it, I know this is a touchy religious subject) and the 120hz refresh on my A6300 made that preference a permanent one. I have also found that the APS-C format has become a very viable option for serious shooting. I hope I don't have to wait two years until an APS-C version of the new sensor tech and the new viewfinder shows up in an A6xxx or A7xxx body....with a new menu....and another dial...and a better battery...and stuff I don't even know that I want...

It really is a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

Sony A9

• 24 MP Exmor RS sensor - stacked CMOS with 20x faster readout speed 50 - 204800 ISO.

• 20 FPS with AF/AE calculated at 60 FPS - 241 RAW or 362 JPEG image buffer

• No EVF Blackout 60 FPS refresh (same as human eye) - 3.6MP

• 693 AF points - 90% of imafe area

• 1/32,000s Shutter (non-mechanical, silent, vibration free)

• 5-Axis IBIS

• Dual Media Slots

• 4K full-frame video - increased readout speed nearly eliminates distortion (jello-legs)

NEW BATTERY!

• $4500

100-400 GMaster F4.5–5.6 GM

• Direct drive SSM focusing

• 49oz

• $2500

More detail here - http://thenewcamera.com/tag/sony-a9/ (Sony page is slammed right now)

May not change my need for a full-frame camera, but it will add to the lust.

Stacked version of the 24MP APS-C due soon?

*sigh*

Dave

Maybe I should set up a Go_Fund_me so I can buy one. People have set up Go_Fund_Me sites for dumber things tha a new Sony camera.

DON

• 1 month later...

Well, it wasn't all smoke and mirrors. Which makes sense since it's a "mirrorless" camera. (Sorry.)

DPReview has finished their full review of the A9 and given it the same 89%/Gold rating that they gave the Canon 1Dx and the Canon D5. The following quote from the conclusion sort of sums up my impression from plodding through all the news since the intro:

"While we've seen that there are still trade-offs versus high-end DSLRs, the Sony a9 is a fantastic and highly capable camera, and the fact that it's comparable to those DSLRs speaks volumes. The Nikon D5 and Canon EOS-1D X II are both the result of decades of research and experience, and the fact that Sony has arrived with the a9 less than four years after creating its first full-frame mirrorless camera is nothing to be sneezed at."

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a9-full-review

Am I impressed? Absolutely! Very, in fact. The A9 and the lenses Sony has pumped out over the last year has confirmed to me their corporate goal of making a lasting impression in the industry (and their secret plan to drive me into poverty). Will I buy one to replace my APS-C cameras? Still a no. (Though I'm throwing longing looks over my shoulder as I walk away.) I still love the size/performance balance of the A6x00 cameras, so I'm still waiting for the new tech and maybe some of the ergonomic improvements to trickle down. Honestly, if I were to go full-frame, I'd likely go with the A7rII or its successor since it suits my shooting preferences a bit better. At any rate, with all of this hardware and glass raining down from the high holy places, I am again reminded that it's a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Bad news, Justin.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sony/fe-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6-gm-oss-sel100400gm/review/#fieldtest

The 100-400 G Master is not the lens people expected.

Well, it's not the lens the competition hoped for.

The sample images look pretty amazing. I put my first deposit in the camera fund envelope.

Dave

Yep - been keeping an eye on all samples, tests, etc. and they all look quite good. I know how good the 70-300mm is on my camera, and the 100-400mm rates a good bit higher than that. I've actually hovered over the lens at B&H, Amazon, etc but it's not been in stock, and that's about the only thing that kept me from impulse buying it. I've already cleared a space for it in my budget...it's just a matter of how long I can hold off and when it will be reliably in stock.

Uh oh...I got my hands on a 100-400mm GM lens this weekend. And I have bad news. It doesn't suck. In fact, it's quite stunning - fast, light, and excellent IQ. I haven't bought my own yet, but a friend who has the lens let me spend a few hours with it mounted on my A6300 out in the wetlands yesterday, and I really really enjoyed it! A few samples:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Well Justin, you have confirmed my worst fears. I have been stalling on a long telephoto for a while while I decided between the 70-300 G or 70-200 f/4 G. Now it's down to a choice of one and I need to wring the camera budget dry to make the 100-400 happen.

Doesn't look like I'll be disappointed!

Thanks for the sample images...I guess. ;)

Dave

Uh oh...I got my hands on a 100-400mm GM lens this weekend. And I have bad news. It doesn't suck.

TERRIFIC SHOTS!

Looks like Dave was right about you getting the lens and looks as if you are leading Dave down the primrose path!