Transport cost cruise port to Bangkok

Holabi

Does anybody have any idea what the cost would be from port into Bangkok. We are hoping to stay overnight in Bangkok and would have to book the cruise transfer on both days. Each day the cost is £35 per adult so to go one day and return the next would cost £140 in total. Would it be cheaper to try and arrange our own transport?

Years since we last did this, but you've had no replies yet.

Here's my out-of-date advice, I'll gladly defer to anyone with more-recent experience

You may find that cruise-ship "Bangkok on your own" transfers can only be booked for same-day return.

But in any case you can do cheaper and better.

There's no suitable public transport, other than the ship's offerings you'll need a private transfer.

You need to pre-book, because taxis at the pier are run by a cartel and they'll screw whatever they can (anything up to double the going rate) from those who've left themselves with no choice.

Check your cruise RollCall to see if anyone is looking for folk to share a van (minibus).

And post on there yourself, firstly to say hi to your ship-mates and secondly to ask if anyone has the same plans as yourself & is willing to share transportation.

If you don't know where to find your RollCall, post its name and sailing date and I'll provide a link

Also Google "bangkok laem chabang transfers" or similar.

Get an idea of rates from appropriate websites, then carefully look for independent reviews (TripAdvisor, Cruise Critic etc) of the most-likely candidates.

Try to avoid those requiring payment with booking, and very definitely avoid those which require any advance payment by anything other than credit card.

Bear in mind that most cars carry only three passengers - be sure of the availability / cost of one which takes four or more if you want to look for sharers.

Most will offer a discount for a two-way transfer. Or you can get a cheaper one-way back to the ship by booking via your hotel when you get there. I guess there's little difference in the cost of those two options.

Journey-time to Bangkok is about 90 mins to 2 hours. But allow a bare minimum 2hrs 30 mins for your return journey - traffic in Bangkok can get quite snarled-up, and it's a long swim to your next port.;)

We've been there twice.

On the river is a great location - but much more expensive. We stayed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid, it's absolutely the best-located. It's by River City Pier - ferries to places like Wat Arun & the Royal Palace, tour boats, dinner cruises, long-tail boats, etc. Upper-floor river-view rooms at the Sheraton are small but adequate, and it's fascinating watching the busy busy river traffic.

Or (carefully) choose a hotel in lively and Bohemian Patpong (bars, restaurants, Thaiboys & such)

Or if that's a bit tooooo lively, as we did second-time-around choose one of the small hotels between Patpong & the river.

The express ferries, the skytrain, and tuk-tuks are the way to get around in the city - but if you've not used tuk-tuks before, check for advice on the web or ask here, otherwise your short journey will be via the driver's uncle's jewellery workshop, his second-cousin's craft-shop and his brother-in-law's carpet shop. :rolleyes:.

Taxis can get screwed up in the traffic.

Do take a long-tail boat ride through the klongs (canals). Either a shared tour-boat, or hire one at the pier for yourselves. An hour is long enough, if you want longer, negotiate for one hour and then negotiate direct with the driver for any longer.

Second time there, we booked a coach + boat trip which included the Summer Palace and Ayuttaya, then cruising down the river to River City Pier. That advertised tour starts in Bangkok, but we fixed a car from the ship to the Summer Palace and arranged to meet the coach there (about 9am). A brilliant day. If that appeals, and if it fits your hours in port, I can give more detail

Sorry, no figures. They'd be well out-of-date.

JB :)

Thanks for that- you have given me a bit to think about. I have looked at the Sheraton and also the the Eastin Grand which both look good. I am finding this cruise hard work - looking for tours, transport etc - there are so many different things to see and do!