New to Royal Clipper: any tips?

travelberlin

Yes we did Canne, Elba, Corsica and Sardinia and back to Monaco and Canne, because of the wind we missed a port in Corsica but went to an alternative.

Hello, Lisabeth;

The ports you stopped at suggest you took the same cruise (14 nights) we are considering for Oct. 7th. Any suggestions regarding explorations at any of the stops? We're pretty active (did the Camino de Santiago de Compostela this spring), and are already looking at a 4-5 hour hike in Lerici ... but cannot find port times anywhere!

Also - we're not subject to seasickness - any thoughts on a bow stateroom? I'd guess they'd be quieter than amidships, or especially the stern...

Alan & Desiree

Hello Alan and Desiree

I assumed you were doing back to back of 14 nights. We just did 7 Ligurian sea.

Our port tines were

LErici 12.00 - 22.00

ELba 9.00 - 18.00

We missed Polombiagga and Bonifacio due to high winds but went to another port in Corsica but I cannot recall the port. They hadn't been there before.

Porticcio was a beach stop from 9.00 to 12.00

Ajaccio was 14.00 - 18.00

MOnaco 12.00 to 22.00

But your times may be different.they did change leaving times a few times so it might be difficult to go off to far.

We are fairly active ashore but just tended to explore locally on our own. We booked fairly last minute and had been having a stressful time so didn't do our usual pre cruise preparation re what to do etc. So I'm sorry I'm not much help.

Re cabins I wasn't aware of much difference re bow or stern we were midships on the clipper deck in 237 . 241,239 and 237 were in a short corridor which ended at 237 so no one walking passed. it was very quiet. The only comment I heard re bow cabins was the noise of the water rushing passed. Having said that the ship wasn't full. Hove you been on this type of ship before?

We didn't do organised excursions it's not our thing and we did here mixed reviews re some of the trips.

Please post if there is anything else I can help with if not have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Lisabeth,

At what time did you arrive in Cannes on the last day? We are planning our flight home...

Ivi

About 7 you could be off by 8.30 I think. Are you going straight to the airport? Clipper did two transfers with side trips but he latest you got to the airport was 11.30. We had a later flight so that didn't suit. Taxied/private transfers were expensive. But we found an airport bus. If you want details let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

About 7 you could be off by 8.30 I think. Are you going straight to the airport? Clipper did two transfers with side trips but he latest you got to the airport was 11.30. We had a later flight so that didn't suit. Taxied/private transfers were expensive. But we found an airport bus. If you want details let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks we have booked coach transfers with Clipper. Our flight is early afternoon.

• 1 month later...
At what time is the earliest we can board the ship? Do they offer lunch on embarkation day? Or is there a place to eat on board?

Embarkation won't start until later in the afternoon - like 1600. When I boarded in Lisbon a few years back, I left my bags at my hotel and toured the city on my own.

Once at the pier, there will be a place to drop off your larger bags. The ship's staff will check you in on shore. As you board, you will be shown to your cabin - there will be light food available as soon as your board.

Aloha,

John

Embarkation won't start until later in the afternoon - like 1600. When I boarded in Lisbon a few years back, I left my bags at my hotel and toured the city on my own.

Once at the pier, there will be a place to drop off your larger bags. The ship's staff will check you in on shore. As you board, you will be shown to your cabin - there will be light food available as soon as your board.

Aloha,

John

Thanks John!

Do they offer lunch on embarkation day?

Embarcation starts usually at 4 p.m. Lunch on board is offered (at about noon/1 p.m.) for back-to-back guests only.

Or is there a place to eat on board?

From 4 p.m. at embarcation day there is an afternoon snack buffet offered in the tropical bar; similar to the daily afternoon snack buffet (which starts at other days at 5 p.m).

For us it is new to embark only from 4 pm on. In all other ships it is possible to embark the latest at 1 pm. Later embarkation means we will have to be somewhere with our luggage, because the hotels usually have a checkout time at 12.00. Not very convenient :(

Ivi

When we sailed from Venice, our flight from the UK arrived in the morning. The included transfer took us straight to the ship where we were able to store our luggage for the day. We were dubious as the storage facility was a basic open trailer, with one man in attendance. However all was OK when we returned.

The reason for borading not before 4PM is the period they need for cleaning and preparing the whole ship. The disembarking guests leave latest at 10AM and they need their time. There is no space to hang around during this period.

You can check in at the harbour late morning and they take your luggage until it will be handled on board (may after 6PM you can find it in front of your cabin).

• 3 weeks later...

Normally, passengers aren't carried on the Zodiacs. The tender has a drop down ramp in the front to get onto the beach.

Here's a link to a video I shot a few years ago in St. Lucia. There, the slope of beach was too shallow to use the tender, so we transferred to the zodiacs. As you can see, they had two crew members assisting us into the zodiac. (Note that I have a weak right arm, which led to occasional confusion for some crew members.)

Aloha,

John

Normally, passengers aren't carried on the Zodiacs. The tender has a drop down ramp in the front to get onto the beach.

Here's a link to a video I shot a few years ago in St. Lucia. There, the slope of beach was too shallow to use the tender, so we transferred to the zodiacs. As you can see, they had two crew members assisting us into the zodiac. (Note that I have a weak right arm, which led to occasional confusion for some crew members.)

Aloha,

John

Thanks for posting this video! I hope I do not have to transfer from tender to zodiac:eek: