Boston-Bus or cab-terminal to Boston Common

In Boston from Grandeur. Family of 4--is it cheaper to go bus or just take a cab? Not sure about bus. Do you need a Charlie Card, someone told me we would or do you just pay cash. Also seems like a pain because you have to change buses. We are there on a Saturday if that makes any difference. Heading to Boston Common so we can walk the Freedom Trail. Thanks for the info!!

In Boston from Grandeur. Family of 4--is it cheaper to go bus or just take a cab? Not sure about bus. Do you need a Charlie Card, someone told me we would or do you just pay cash. Also seems like a pain because you have to change buses. We are there on a Saturday if that makes any difference. Heading to Boston Common so we can walk the Freedom Trail. Thanks for the info!!

How old are the children? 11 and younger are free on the "T". Adult fare is $2.75 if you take the Silver Line SL2 bus from Black Falcon. You go to South Station where you have a free transfer to the Red Line. When you get off the bus, follow the signs to the Red Line Direction Alewife, go down the stairs one level, and take any train two stops to Park St.

We'll be there on 7/4. Are cabs readily available at the ship terminal? What would the cab cost (for three) from the ship terminal to either Boston common or the North end?

There should be cabs available. $12-15 to Boston Common and maybe a little more to the center of the North End. You will save a little if you get off on the edge of the North End and walk in.

Oops - your July 4 date just registered. Could be a bad traffic day. I would seriously consider public transit.

Oops - your July 4 date just registered. Could be a bad traffic day. I would seriously consider public transit.

UGH! Hopefully the cruise line will help out and provide a bus into town. If not, looks like the Silver line is the way to go. Can you pay for this aboard the bus? Is exact cash required?

• 4 weeks later...
UGH! Hopefully the cruise line will help out and provide a bus into town. If not, looks like the Silver line is the way to go. Can you pay for this aboard the bus? Is exact cash required?

You can pay for the Silver Line at a kiosk at the terminal before you board. I believe you can use CC. Although it is pretty much a bus, the Silver Line is treated like the other train lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can pay for the Silver Line at a kiosk at the terminal before you board. I believe you can use CC. Although it is pretty much a bus, the Silver Line is treated like the other train lines.

Thanks for the info. Then if I want to transfer onto the subway, will there be something like a paper pass?

Thanks for the info. Then if I want to transfer onto the subway, will there be something like a paper pass?

Not sure if there is a kiosk to purchase a Charlie Ticket for the Silver Line at Black Falcon Terminal. You can pay on the bus $2.75. If you don't have exact change, the overage will be returned as a stored value on a Charlie ticket.

Paying Your Fare Using Bills or Coins

To pay your fare using coins or bills, simply insert the appropriate fare into the farebox using the bill insert or the coin slot. The machine will beep once to inform you that you have paid the right amount. Three quick beeps from the farebox lets you know that either a bill has been rejected or that a coin has been rejected. If you pay more than the initial fare needed to board the bus using cash on board, change will be returned as stored value on a CharlieTicket via the ticket slot.

When you get to South Station on the Silver Line, you can transfer to the Red Line within the station without any kind if paper pass. If you're going inbound to Downtown Crossing or Park St, just follow the sign to the Red Line Direction Alewife and get on any train.