Ship excursion for Freedom Trail

I know we can do Freedom Trail on our own but thinking of booking Celebrity's excursion. It costs a few bucks but it would be nice knowing transportation and a guide was sorted out. Having never been to Boston, I'm feeling overwhelmed with where to go and what to see.

Has anyone done one and was it worth it?

I know we can do Freedom Trail on our own but thinking of booking Celebrity's excursion. It costs a few bucks but it would be nice knowing transportation and a guide was sorted out. Having never been to Boston, I'm feeling overwhelmed with where to go and what to see.

Has anyone done one and was it worth it?

I can't tell you about Celebrity's excursion, but I can make suggestions if you want to do it yourself. Could you post the description of the tour? What does it cost?

I can't imagine how much of the Freedom Trail you would actually see with a large group from a cruise ship. Downtown Boston is a crowded area with narrow streets - not conducive for herding large groups. The "Freedom Trail" was created to provide tourists with a way to find all the historical sites that are scattered among the more modern buildings. There is nothing sacred about walking every inch of it? The major sites are run by the National Park Service and offer free ranger led programs - https://www.nps.gov/bost/planyourvisit/index.htm

My recommendation to cruisers is to first take a cab to the Constitution in Charlestown for under $20. Museum opens at 9 and the ship at 10:00. You will be on and off the Constitution before the crowds build up. Then take the MBTA water taxi for $3.50/pp from Charlestown to Long Wharf - http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F4. Walk north along the Waterfront into the North End to see Old North Church and Paul Revere House and pick up the Freedom Trail to walk back to Faneuil Hall. Lunch in the North End or at Faneuil Hall. Then follow the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common. Take a cab back to the ship. Do your research to identify the places you're really interested in.

Love the idea to do the trail "backwards" starting at the USS Constitution. I must have read it here before (thanks 138east) because I have already made it part of our plans for our upcoming New England Cruise. Only 103 days to go, Yippee!!!

138east - we will have bicycles with us. We don't want a major ride but are there must sees or a resource you could point me to for cycling in the Boston area?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I have seen ZipBikes available in the North End for rent (I know you said you have your own), but with Boston streets, traffic, and drivers, I'm not sure I'd risk my neck biking in the city. But all of Boston is easily walkable, we nearly always walk when visiting our son, so if you're brave enough for the traffic, all of the city is doable.

138east - we will have bicycles with us. We don't want a major ride but are there must sees or a resource you could point me to for cycling in the Boston area?

Yes, there are "resources" promoting bike use for commuting. However.....

Please consider that you are likely not prepared for biking in Boston traffic. There have been several fairly recent fatalities of daily local riders who knew the roads well.

The T is easy to use, and along with walking, makes it quite simple to get around.

If we feel up to it(!), is it practical to walk back from Boston Common to the ship? I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't walk into/out of the cruise terminal area.

Simon

Walking around the cruise terminal area is safe, it just isn't that "scenic". I'm down there all the time for business, and we'll have lunch in the area, or a brew at Harpoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the others - you couldn't pay me to consider biking around downtown Boston.

If we feel up to it(!), is it practical to walk back from Boston Common to the ship? I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't walk into/out of the cruise terminal area.

Simon

We were there two weeks ago. It was a Saturday so the Silver Line bus was free to South Station. We didn't use the "T" and walked to the historic part of the city. After visiting the famous "Mike's Pastries" on Hanover street, we decided to walk back to the ship. It is a pleasant 2.5 to 3 mile walk. There is absolutely no issue entering the port area on foot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there two weeks ago. It was a Saturday so the Silver Line bus was free to South Station. We didn't use the "T" and walked to the historic part of the city. After visiting the famous "Mike's Pastries" on Hanover street, we decided to walk back to the ship. It is a pleasant 2.5 to 3 mile walk. There is absolutely no issue entering the port area on foot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I can't tell you about Celebrity's excursion, but I can make suggestions if you want to do it yourself. Could you post the description of the tour? What does it cost?

I can't imagine how much of the Freedom Trail you would actually see with a large group from a cruise ship. Downtown Boston is a crowded area with narrow streets - not conducive for herding large groups. The "Freedom Trail" was created to provide tourists with a way to find all the historical sites that are scattered among the more modern buildings. There is nothing sacred about walking every inch of it? The major sites are run by the National Park Service and offer free ranger led programs - https://www.nps.gov/bost/planyourvisit/index.htm

My recommendation to cruisers is to first take a cab to the Constitution in Charlestown for under $20. Museum opens at 9 and the ship at 10:00. You will be on and off the Constitution before the crowds build up. Then take the MBTA water taxi for $3.50/pp from Charlestown to Long Wharf - http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F4. Walk north along the Waterfront into the North End to see Old North Church and Paul Revere House and pick up the Freedom Trail to walk back to Faneuil Hall. Lunch in the North End or at Faneuil Hall. Then follow the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common. Take a cab back to the ship. Do your research to identify the places you're really interested in.

Great advice from above. Go first to the USS Constitution, it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Pick up the Visitor Center's walking tour and do it yourself. I've walked it three times and it's worth walking it via the map. I agree with a previous post. Have a cab drop you off at Constitution. There are shops along the way if you need to stop and get coffee or rest a minute. Just do a little studying about the highlights along the way prior to your trip. You'll save yourself a lot of money and enjoy the easier pace.