How's this camera?

Ive read great things about the Olympus tough 4 and 5 but I don't think my husband wants to spend that much. I was considering the fijifilm 120 which is on sale for $150 at Costco. Is this an okay camera? Or is it pretty junky compared to the Olympus? We're not very camera savvy. We don't know how to do anything besides auto really.

5 years ago we bought I think a Nikon, the kind that's only slightly larger than a regular point and shoot but with the option of longer lenses. We used it like 3 times. We just need a decent point and shoot and water safe would be fun for our little one. We currently just use our phones.

It does pretty well across the board. There are several preset modes that work nicely and take only minutes to learn (like Panorama, low light, etc). Those should cover you in 90 percent of cases.

If you are going to use the camera more often in the future I would invest in the Olympus. If its a one shot for this trip, not sure its worth the premium.

I take my T4 on every trip I go to now, even business trips, fits in a pocket, has decent capabilities and can be bounced around a bit. On every vacation it comes along as the backup/bad conditions/pocket camera in addition to my DSLR and mirrorless. It's a very versatile little thing (only limitation, as with all small point and shoots is the lack of a long range optical zoom)

For regular auto pictures does the Olympus do better? I'm sure the settings are better but we don't know what to do with those.

Ditto loon - if you're only planning on using it occasionally, no need to spend more. JMHO, the best thing you can do is to get out with it and play around with it to better understand its operation and limitations

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought a FujiFilm Finepix XP120 at Costco two years ago to have a cheap underwater camera for snorkeling. I have used it underwater in Belize, Roatan, and Nassau so far. It is nothing fancy, but easily gets the job done and I have no complaints at all. It works well enough on land that I don't even bother bringing my DSLR on cruises anymore. I cannot say how it compares to Olympus or other brands/models, but have been happy with it. It does have settings which adjust the color for underwater, if you are into that at all.

Edited by SkyPiglet
additional info, oxford comma

Newly released Nikon W300 (replacing AW130) shoots 4K movies with 8 megapixel single-frame capture from movies. Otherwise, pretty much the same as AW130 but drop height increases from 7 feet to 8 feet. Same optics, 5x optical zoom, 5x digital zoom, 16 megapixels.