Juneau Phone Service

CatsinShow

I realize this may be a stupid question but I need to ask people about this! I just got an email for a job interview and they were willing to do a phone interview for me in the morning. This will be when I am in Juneau. Is there a place walking distance to the port that has good cell phone service where the odds are that I won't have a dropped call? I have AT&T if that matters. I am a laid off school district employee due to budget cuts, and nearly all interviews are done over the summer. Thank you!!

I was also concerned about cellular phone service in Juneau (as well as Anchorage) since I am a Consumer Cellular customer. Contacting Consumer Cellular about my concerns, I was assured that I would have coverage, somehow with AT&T being involved. (I am a landline customer of AT&T and how or whether that has any bearing with my Consumer Cellular account, I don't know. I can't see why/how it would, but there is much about this modern communication/cyber age that I don't comprehend.)

AT&T had a strong signal as soon as we entered the port (May 30th, 2017), even while still on the ship. Remember it's Alaska is another hour behind Pacific Time (as was mentioned already). G'luck with the interview!

Consumer Cellular only uses ATT towers. If ATT has coverage, you will have Consumer Cellular coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the information. I had no idea of what the AT&T connection was with Consumer Cellular.

So I realized something.... The itinerary at Juneau starts at 11:00. My interview is at 10:40 (9:40 Alaska time). Are ships usually already docked in Juneau by say 9:30AM? If so, is the connection roaming free on the ship but in port? Thanks

Hard to say whether they'd be in port that early with confidence. If you've got at&t, your phone should show cellular at sea if it's roaming and at&t if it's on the land-based att network. cellular@sea is something like >$7/minute so not something you'd want to do unless it's being covered by a (very well to do) employer.

So I realized something.... The itinerary at Juneau starts at 11:00. My interview is at 10:40 (9:40 Alaska time). Are ships usually already docked in Juneau by say 9:30AM? If so, is the connection roaming free on the ship but in port? Thanks

Where are you coming from before Juneau? That could make a difference in whether you are likely to arrive early. We've gotten to Juneau early in the past, but not 1.5 hours early!

If I were you, I'd try to change to interview to a later time, or accept the fact that you will likely spend $$$$ on the call using Cellular at Sea.

Do you call in or are they calling you?

If you are to call in what are the cell rates from the ship? The in cabin rate?

Outside of the cities, don't count on your cell service being available.

On Carnival cellular at sea is $2.49/minute, in cabin calling is $1.99/minute.

Good luck on your interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My interview today is at noon California time which is 11AM Alaska time. We will be allowed to be off the boat at 11AM. By an act of faith, the captain announced yesterday that we may actually be in Juneau a bit earlier. That's a may though lol.

The odds are, I will have the call once we just docked or about to dock. My mother always told me to never call on the ship even when we are docked insisting there will still be a roaming charge. I spoke to some NCL workers and they told me that it's not true. If you are fairly close to land, no roaming.

I have AT&T and cruise roaming is $2.50 a minute. I really cannot negotiate a better time with them. Noon was the best time I could get them to do and I explained the circumstance as they are only doing the interviews in the morning since they will have several workers interviewing me.

Naturally AT&T has cruise deals with several cruiselines making the packages reasonable but NCL did not make a deal with them!!

This is my luck! And the package other lines get is $30 for 50 minutes which is actually a great deal IMO

Stay in touch on your cruise

Save on talk, text, and data usage over pay-per-use rates while at sea and on land in Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean islands. Cruise packages1 automatically expire after 30 days so you never have to worry about stopping service after your cruise.

• Azamara Club Cruises®
  • Celebrity Cruises®
  • Crystal ® Cruises
  • Disney Cruise Line
  • Holland America Line®
  • Oceania Cruises®
  • Pullmantur Cruceros
  • Regent Seven Seas Cruises®
  • Royal Caribbean International®
  • Select Silversea® ships
  • SkySea Cruise Line

Not sure what the fuss is here...if you are within a mile or two of the dock your phone will connect to the ATT towers in the port. It will display on your phone as ATT. This means any charges you incur will be assessed to your ATT plan that you have at home. Likely you have unlimited voice/text and some amount of data.

The ship is required to disable their marine cell tower when they are within a certain distance from the port....I cannot recall exactly how far.

If you are docked on the ship, I suggest you find a comfortable chair in a quiet area and have your interview.

SPRINT: Someone above asked about Sprint. I called them last week and found out that I (This COULD vary by plan -- I can only speak to what was told to me about my plan - which includes free roaming) would have free text and data in all Alaska - ports and Anchorage/inland as well as Vancouver. Phone calls would be .20/min in all of those places too.

On the ship everything changes.... texts are .50 ea. for outgoing and .15 ea. for incoming. Phone calls would be 2.99/min. It should be noted that before she gave me the 'ship' information, she asked the name of my ship....??? I found that interesting, so thought it best to pass that tidbit along as well.

I would encourage anyone to call Sprint themselves and not take my answer as the 'law' for all though - just in case individual plans vary...