Probability of Own Room when not paying for single occupancy?

sva50233

and there is an upcharge for an accessible room.

Run this by the folks on the Disabled Cruising board. Over the years there have been a lot of comments about "same category" accessible cabins being the same price due to ADA regulations. Accessible accommodations can't be charged a premium for the same type of room (regardless of accessibility features). Usually the accessible cabins are "feature wise" at the level of the highest category in that type on the same deck so comparing to a lower category could show a difference but not be higher price that the equal category. Even though we don't have a single-supplement issue with the two of us we have never paid more for an accessible cabin than the highest level in the same category.

I hope that those of you who have shown disdain for the situation single and solo cruisers find themselves in don't lose your cruising partners. You may change your tune.

Roz

I hope that those of you who have shown disdain for the situation single and solo cruisers find themselves in don't lose your cruising partners. You may change your tune.

Roz

I do not believe posters have "shown disdain" for anyone - rather they have tried to point out the realities: cruise lines exist to operate profitably - not to be charitable. A single occupant in a cabin will not contribute to on-board spending revenue the way two people will. The single person occupying that cabin means that the line can not sell it to two people.

I did not like it when, for a number of years, (1994 to 2007) I was single - and sailed single - paying the single supplement. I hope that does not happen to me again. The only way I could afford to cruise as a single was to take advantage of the fact that I did not have to co-ordinate plans with anyone, and was able to book last minute when discounts appeared.

Accessible cabins are priced at the same rate as other cabins in the same category. It may be that you were looking at cheaper cabins of the same type (inside, for instance). In that case, moving up to the higher category of cabin even though it's still an inside would cost more. We have a single friend who has sailed with us. I frequently check out prices for her after booking our cruise so she can decide whether she wants to tag along. I've never seen her cost be more than double ours.

Roz

A number of us who commented in this thread are sailing solo as am I. I do not wish on others they should lose their partners my dh and I were a couple since w e were both 18. That' was a great many years we were together when I lost him. I never wish that on anyone. I must have missed the 'disdain' as I didn't recognize any here.

A

She cancelled and got most of her money back through insurance. I had to pay 150% since we were past final pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing she had insurance, didn't you? If you did have insurance, did you sub mit a claim and it was rejected?

I had insurance but not a valid reason to cancel. I wasn't her caretaker so they said I didn't have a reason to cancel.

Wait! You and your traveling companion both have TI and coverage protects you from this very thing when your travel companion can not travel. I had this very thing happen and I had the choice of cancelling if desired OR the TI in my case covered the Single Supplement so I could still go on the tour. You need to make sure to buy from an outside TI provider that covers traveling companions. I am very surprised your policy did not cover the Solo Fee since your Room mates Insurance covered her. You certainly had the wrong policy or you tried to claim incorrectly?

Surely if the price for 1 passenger is more than the price for 2, you'd just put in a friend's name for the second passenger and have them not show up, instead of actually paying more. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

And I also don't understand why the cruise line double dipped on that cancelation reprice. If your friend got refunded from the insurance company, that means the cruise line didn't refund her. So they kept her money and then charged you more as well.

The policy was through Carnival and I called them and they told me to call the insurance company, which I did and was told no coverage because my companion had to cancel. Guess I did buy the wrong insurance. I usually always buy Travel Guard but this time it was cheaper to get Carnival's. Lesson learned.

Now that I treavel as a solo, I book cancellation insuance whereas we almost never did when wetgravveled as a couple. We did not worry ab out insuring price of cruise as we alwsays made sure we had medic al coverage for out country. Ofcc ourse, we did not wantr to lose price of a crfuise bugt wre wsillin to. We would not have b ooked if we coud not affdfodfdt it...........ALso, we knew but for an illness, the chance of us c ancelling was very small. IF I book now as a single, in my own cabin burt am sailin g with friends. I book cancxedllatrion coverage. Last crfuise I ttook with friends, we went and all was well but she almost had to cancel. She was diagnosedd with a serious illness a llitle b efore our cruise but long after final payment. We were not sure if her doctor would let her g o but she did. No c ancellation, no claim HOWEV ER, WHEN we got home, I c alled my insurance co. and asked if I would have been refunded myfafre if I cancelled because my fRIend was not going. We were NOT sharing a cab in but booked our cruise days apart, same deck, and I always list her (and her DH) as Ttravel companions. IF she had to c ancel due to her illness, and I canc elled as to not sail alone, my insurance told me e they would honor my claim. I would not book cruise line insurance but go to a third party insurer.

Most important to them was thaT she was fine to travel on the date she booked her cruise and the date I bought my insurance.

Edited by sail7seas

Donray,

I had a friend I was suppose to cruise with on Carnival. She broke her arm and couldn't go and if I wanted the room I had to pay a 150% markup. It came to over $500 more then her and I in the room.

Totally different then what I was discussing. This was a person not showing up and then the other person in the room that is going does not pay more money.

I your case I bet the person cancelled and got money back.

I have been a solo cruiser for about 8 years and when I am looking for a cruise I will always get the rate for the cabin I want for two people, then I get the rate for a solo cruiser and it is always 150% of the cruise price. In other words, if the cruise for two is $1000 I will pay almost $1500 for the same cruise. Holland American and Celebrity have charged up to 200% for a solo cruiser. You can do it yourself to see how they really overcharge the solo traveler, just go to any line and do a mock booking for two then for one and you will see the difference.

What is even worse, I am handicapped and there is an upcharge for an accessible room. I was looking at a cruise yesterday on Royal and for a Ocean View cabin, regular, it was $1500 for just me, when I put in I wanted an accessible, the price jumped for the cabin to $1800. I think that is terrible, I get stabbed in the back two times for being a solo and handicapped cruiser.

Somethings not right here. I've been cruising as a disabled solo for 20 years and I've never, ever paid more for an accessible cabin---and I've been on more than 90 cruises. Are you sure you're comparing the same cabin category? You could have looked at a 1B cabin for the regular one and the accessible cabin might have been in a 1A category. You must be absolutely sure you're comparing apples to apples. And IF you're certain you looked at the exact same cabin category, you have to call Royal Caribbean and inform them that it's illegal to charge more for a cabin in the same category that's accessible as opposed to a non-accessible cabin.

I have been on over 30 cruises and I know how to compare cabin to cabin.

You have probably never compared the price of a cabin for two and then the same exact cabin for one.

I don't know what line you cruise on but I have had TAs, cruise reps and private outlets tell me that there is a big markup for a solo cruiser.

You need to go on Celebrity or Princess and do a mock booking for two people and do the same booking for one person. If you also do a mock booking of one person in any kind of cabin, let's say an ocean view, and then do the same for an accessible you will see an increase in price.

Not all cruise lines charge extra for accessible but most charge 150 or 200% over regular price.