How Long for MDR Dinner?

pullen0

If we want to get to a show, we will tell our tablemates and waitstaff our plans. Often you'll find someone else at your table who wants to do the same. A good waiter will try to get you out the door when you want to (you may need to skip dessert and hopefully you're on a ship that has options for getting a late dessert after the show).

Sounds like too much rushing for many people! Not sure what cruise line or itinerary you are cruising, but not every port is 8:00 to 5:00. You may have to re-think your schedule as far as breakfast, being off the ship, etc., rarely can everyone get off right away. Also, do you have any sea days?

I think if you keep that pace daily you will need a vacation to recover! Even doing the buffet for every meal you will have to wait in line, take your turn, look for a table, etc.

Celebrity

Day 1 - embark

Day 2 - Sea

Day 3 - 8:00-5:30

Day 4 - 8:00-5:00

Day 5 - 9:30-11:59

Day 6 - 8:00-5:00

Day 7 - 8:00-5:00

Over thanksgiving, we did 3 days in NYC. Walked 38 miles on 15 hours or less sleep total. When I go on vacation, I go and do and see things. Lounging around a table ranks low on list of things to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity

Day 1 - embark

Day 2 - Sea

Over thanksgiving, we did 3 days in NYC. Walked 38 miles on 15 hours or less sleep total. When I go on vacation, I go and do and see things. Lounging around a table ranks low on list of things to do.

I'm all about the destinations when I cruise also, so I understand your focus somewhat. I like to cruise the Med and will spend every minute ashore that I can.

If this is your first cruise, try to keep an open mind. Multi-course dining is part of the experience for many. It doesn't HAVE to be your focus, but it might be worth giving it a try (and not with two eyes on the time); you might enjoy it.

On the other hand, if the dining experience isn't for you, so be it. There are workarounds in the MDR, but it's not "fast food" and it won't be fast. To avoid frustration, you might consider eating at whatever your ship's buffet area is called.

Celebrity

Day 1 - embark

Day 2 - Sea

Congratulations - we get the idea - you are superman! Perhaps cruising and the confines of the ship are not your best choice of vacation. If you have no time to sit and eat you are not going to be happy with leaving the ship and other procedures.

The point I was trying to make is that even though the schedule shows docking at 8:00 a.m. Chances are you won't be off the ship at 8:00. Not sure of Celebrity's protocol for disembarkment but often ship's tours go first, passengers with suite or other status, etc., you and your family may not be first in line to get off!

Same with returning. You normally have to be back on board half an hour before sailing, and again going through security, etc. usually involves lines. Chances are you will find yourself having to wait.

With talk of 5 courses, etc, how long does a traditional MDR dinner take? An hour? Hour and a half?

If you don't want dinner to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours there is nothing wrong with asking for a table for 2 and once you are seated kindly let your waiter know that you would like to be done with dinner in an hour, not longer. That way they will know to serve the courses quickly.

I have not read other responses, this is what works for us when we do eat in the dining room. Most of the time we go to the buffet.

Quite frankly if I had to endure a 2 or 3 hour dinners my eyes would probably roll back in my head. DH and I are together 24 hours a day, we don't need long dinners.

Edited by SPacificbound

First time cruise coming up in March and was this thread ever an eye-opener for me. We enjoy European leisurely dining more than American fast-style and assumed that would be the norm for seated dining on the ships. A two or three hour meal with interesting conversation was something we were looking forward to.

However, i see there is considerable animosity aimed at people who enjoy several, well-timed, small portion (not gorge!) courses. Is this true of all cruises and cruise lines?

We enjoy meeting and conversing with new people - hard to do with 30 minute speed meals.

Should we choose to eat alone only?

The food experience was one of our premier reasons for booking a cruise ..... wondering about that decision now.

Booked on Oceania.

With Oceania you will likely have "fine dining". :)

You do not have to wait for everyone to finish and leave the table. If we aren't having desert we'll say so and go. And, we have told our waiter we have to be out of the dining room by XXX time and they have always spend up service. A few times we have had such a great table we have been the last to leave the dining room. (We never do any time or early seating!)

If you don't want dinner to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours there is nothing wrong with asking for a table for 2 and once you are seated kindly let your waiter know that you would like to be done with dinner in an hour, not longer. That way they will know to serve the courses quickly.

I have not read other responses, this is what works for us when we do eat in the dining room. Most of the time we go to the buffet.

Quite frankly if I had to endure a 2 or 3 hour dinners my eyes would probably roll back in my head. DH and I are together 24 hours a day, we don't need long dinners.

Of course, the fact that many of us ARE with our partner/spouse 24 hours a day makes the concept of dining at a large table an interesting cruise activity. Change in routine is one of the values of vacation.

One can make it a 6-course dinner: Insert cheese course between the main plate and dessert.

Yes, I see how you are thinking but I have noticed that at the end of the aforesaid list P&O (UK) the waiter then comes round with the speciality coffees, Espresso, Irish, Turkmenistani etc.

Then the final course is a little sweet they have made in the kitchen, a small cube of fudge etc.

Regards John

Yes, I see how you are thinking but I have noticed that at the end of the aforesaid list P&O (UK) the waiter then comes round with the speciality coffees, Espresso, Irish, Turkmenistani etc.

Then the final course is a little sweet they have made in the kitchen, a small cube of fudge etc.

Regards John

That makes it 8 courses then.;)

First time cruise coming up in March and was this thread ever an eye-opener for me. We enjoy European leisurely dining more than American fast-style and assumed that would be the norm for seated dining on the ships. A two or three hour meal with interesting conversation was something we were looking forward to.

However, i see there is considerable animosity aimed at people who enjoy several, well-timed, small portion (not gorge!) courses. Is this true of all cruises and cruise lines?

We enjoy meeting and conversing with new people - hard to do with 30 minute speed meals.

Should we choose to eat alone only?

The food experience was one of our premier reasons for booking a cruise ..... wondering about that decision now.

Booked on Oceania.

When we cruise with family, our MDR experience is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours for dinner. However on our recent cruise, (just my husband and I) we were seated with two other couples. We had great conversations and dinner was 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Enjoy yourself.

When we cruise with family, our MDR experience is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours for dinner. However on our recent cruise, (just my husband and I) we were seated with two other couples. We had great conversations and dinner was 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Enjoy yourself.

This is to be expected when sharing a table. No matter how compatible, family members tend to be more "efficient" at meal times - where less time/attention is focused on interaction; while sharing with new acquaintances there is more material for conversation - in some cases you find so much in mutual interest that you have a hard time wrapping things up in two plus hours - and have to get shooed out by the dining room stewards trying to re-set tables.

This is to be expected when sharing a table. No matter how compatible, family members tend to be more "efficient" at meal times - where less time/attention is focused on interaction; while sharing with new acquaintances there is more material for conversation - in some cases you find so much in mutual interest that you have a hard time wrapping things up in two plus hours - and have to get shooed out by the dining room stewards trying to re-set tables.

Conversations at the table can be engrossing, especially if the subject of occupation comes up.;)

Conversations at the table can be engrossing, especially if the subject of occupation comes up.;)

One of the general areas of commmon interest is travel - learning of places you have not yet seen and sharing your own experiences. Not a strong point on short Caribbean itineraries, but on Northern Europe, Med and T/A's and other longer itineraries often a source of mutual learning.

One of the general areas of commmon interest is travel - learning of places you have not yet seen and sharing your own experiences. Not a strong point on short Caribbean itineraries, but on Northern Europe, Med and T/A's and other longer itineraries often a source of mutual learning.

I know what you mean, I love to travel and have been to many places, some people like to tap into that experience to find out more. Others may just ask something easy for an ice breaker and say 'Where was your last cruise to?' which can open up a whole list of subjects to talk about.

I know what you mean, I love to travel and have been to many places, some people like to tap into that experience to find out more. Others may just ask something easy for an ice breaker and say 'Where was your last cruise to?' which can open up a whole list of subjects to talk about.

I usually get a table for at least 10. Agree on first night that you will sit next to a different couple each night. Really makes for a good dinner.

• 6 months later...

We typically sit with just our family. I am the only one that gets an appetizer (shrimp cocktail) but tell them don't let that hold up the main course. Then they bring everyones steak out when it's ready and of course we finish up with WCMC. We can typically be out of the MDR in an hour.

With talk of 5 courses, etc, how long does a traditional MDR dinner take? An hour? Hour and a half?

If as your post suggests, you need to get someplace after dinner, just tell your server. He will do his best to get you out on time, even if you are at a larger table.

DON

There are many factors which can impact on your dining time. Those that eat at a 2-top and want a fast dinner can sometimes get out of the MDR in an hour or less (just tell you waiter you want to eat fast). On the other hand, there are folks like me who think of dining as "dining" and try to make it a real social event. We tend to dine at large tables (6 - 10) and count ourselves lucky when we get a fun table....that can often take nearly 2 hours to dine and enjoy dinner. We tend to eat late (8 or later) and are often at one of the last tables to leave the dining room. While many are rushing to finish dinner and more on to other events....our tables are often laughing and having a great time. My point is that there are opportunities to satisfy most anyone's desires.

Hank

Service or lack there of in the MDR is one one of the areas that does not exist any more on most cruise lines. The wait staff has been reduced and given more tables to wait on. I feel bad as they work hard take care of the passengers but the level of service on cruise ships were found on land based restaurants they would go out of business real quick.

Service or lack there of in the MDR is one one of the areas that does not exist any more on most cruise lines. The wait staff has been reduced and given more tables to wait on. I feel bad as they work hard take care of the passengers but the level of service on cruise ships were found on land based restaurants they would go out of business real quick.

They probably prefer more tables, more tips.