Town of Bar Harbor

alrose251

Hi, we are thinking about doing a private tour to Acadia Park. We have an option of 3, 4 or 5 hours tours. How much is there to do around the town? Should we allow time to explore the town too? Thanks!

Bar Harbor is a very cute and interesting town...do spend some time walking around !!! Acadia is not to be missed..it is a highlight of any NE cruise...depending on your time...yes do both...( and not sure you need a 5 hour tour of Acadia if that helps any...)

We are in port from 7am-4pm. Wish it was a little longer! :)

The 4 and 5 hour tours go to many additional places, which is why I was considering a private tour. I like to see and do as much as possible!!!:D

Thanks for the replies!

Hi, we are thinking about doing a private tour to Acadia Park. We have an option of 3, 4 or 5 hours tours. How much is there to do around the town? Should we allow time to explore the town too? Thanks!

This was our 4-5 hours there. All very pleasant but not very memorable, but of course we did not go to Acadia Park. All the best, Tony

ohoSzar_dyY

It all depends on your interests. Bar Harbor is a very sweet town, but I would focus most of my time in Acadia because I am into nature and wildlife. Acadia is beautiful with so many places to explore. There are trails for every activity level. For a respite, I love popovers at Jordan Pond House.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking popovers is a good to have at Jordan Pond House? Like a Yorkshire Pudding only usually sweet. ??

Yes if you have enough time.

popover, I don't remember them being sweet until covered with jam:

IGSP01_Popovers_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg

yorkshire pudding;

The-Best-Ever-Yorkshire-Pudding-Recipe-In-The-Airfryer.jpg

more alike than I thought.

SBtS

Just be advised, depending on the time of year, that a tour to Acadia may involve not seeing anything further than the front of the bus. Fog is a Maine standard, and Cadillac mountain gets its fair share.

Time of year? What sort of conditions may we expect around June 29? Chilly? Fog? We're from the NYC area. We've already had three days in the mid 90's. I see that the water temps up there are still quite cold.

Yes if you have enough time.

popover, I don't remember them being sweet until covered with jam:

IGSP01_Popovers_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg

yorkshire pudding;

The-Best-Ever-Yorkshire-Pudding-Recipe-In-The-Airfryer.jpg

more alike than I thought.

SBtS

YUM! Popovers! I've never had Yorkshire pudding before. Looks I'm going to have to try it! We'll be there in early October.

Time of year? What sort of conditions may we expect around June 29? Chilly? Fog? We're from the NYC area. We've already had three days in the mid 90's. I see that the water temps up there are still quite cold.

It could be foggy in the morning but it usually will burn off by afternoon. If it is foggy, there will be a little chill in the air, but otherwise it will be pleasant.

As for the water, are you planning a beach day?

I'm not a meteorologist, and I don't play one on TV.

SBtS

It could be foggy in the morning but it usually will burn off by afternoon. If it is foggy, there will be a little chill in the air, but otherwise it will be pleasant.

As for the water, are you planning a beach day?

I'm not a meteorologist, and I don't play one on TV.

SBtS

You could qualify if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express ;)

Sorry I couldn't help myself...slow day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for private tour information for Acadia. Specifically, I would love to hike. We will be there in mid-October, after the free bus stops running for the season. I am even open to finding transportation to and from a recommended trailhead. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Forums mobile app

I have been looking for private tour information for Acadia. Specifically, I would love to hike. We will be there in mid-October, after the free bus stops running for the season. I am even open to finding transportation to and from a recommended trailhead. Any suggestions?

Suggestions are here and here.

SBtS

I have been looking for a 'tour' that involves more than driving through the park. I have searched and found biking, carriage ride and such. But we love to hike and hope to do the same in Acadia.

Well I've learned my lesson, so have you considered hiking the Carriage Roads. There are about 57 miles of Carriage Roads. You'll have to coordinate this with a taxi company with the highest reliability rating.

An example would be having the taxi pick you up at the town dock and drive you to CR entrance. You have a predetermined destination which is accessible by CR and a park road which you have the taxi meet you there at a specified time.

For example, have the taxi drop you at the Eagle Lake CR entrance which is the closest CR entrance to Bar Harbor. Your destination would be Jordan House Restaurant at Jordan Pond. Looking at a CR map, there are at least 3 routes of varying length to get to JPR. Based on the route and your speed tell the taxi driver when you'll be at JPR.

This could work but have a cell phone with you.

SBtS

Well I've learned my lesson, so have you considered hiking the Carriage Roads. There are about 57 miles of Carriage Roads. You'll have to coordinate this with a taxi company with the highest reliability rating.

An example would be having the taxi pick you up at the town dock and drive you to CR entrance. You have a predetermined destination which is accessible by CR and a park road which you have the taxi meet you there at a specified time.

For example, have the taxi drop you at the Eagle Lake CR entrance which is the closest CR entrance to Bar Harbor. Your destination would be Jordan House Restaurant at Jordan Pond. Looking at a CR map, there are at least 3 routes of varying length to get to JPR. Based on the route and your speed tell the taxi driver when you'll be at JPR.

This could work but have a cell phone with you.

SBtS

Thank you. I will look more into your suggestion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Forums mobile app