Tracy Arm Fjord small boat versus cruise ship

stjlo

Situation depends on the ship itinerary.... on my HAL trip. The cruise ship sits outside Tracy Arm's entrance for a 30 minute mid-ocean transfers for those embarking on the excursion. They then part ways.

• the cruise ship travels 50 miles North to Juneau, never entering the 31 mile arm to meet Sawyer.
  • the popular sold out Tracy Arm excursion enters the arm to seek out Sawyer. Then turns around to chase down the mothership in Juneau.

"Exactly" won't be known until you are there. But, obviously you can get a lot closer in a small boat. I'm assuming you have been on a cruise ship? What is your view of the port from decks up vs when you are off the ship on the dock? Simple answer.

With HAL, some ships don't even enter the arm. But, most cruise ships do not get past Sawyer Island- a standard turn around point, which only gives a partial distant view of the South Sawyer Glacier. there is the possibility of a North Sawyer Glacier view with a boat tour, cruise ships about never sail there.

Tracy Arm is a narrow 30 fjord that is loaded with nonstop scenery. Small boat tours can pick up a lot more wildlife viewing compared to a cruise ship.

You won’t see much from the ship, just being honest. Most of the time the ship will turn around at Sawyer island, you can see South Sawyer glacier in the distance and if you’re lucky you might see North Sawyer glacier. On the Allen marine small boat tour, you’ll get up to within about ¼ of a mile to Sawyer glacier, that is if your ship can get into Tracy Arm. If it can’t get into Tracy Arm they’ll go up into Endicott Arm to view Dawes glacier, but they don’t get as close as the small boat tour does, I don’t think any cruise ships have made it up to Tracy Arm yet this season, I know a few of the small tours out of Juneau have. Watch www.marinetraffic.com to see where your ship is at up in Alaska.

What will I see on the Tracy Arm Fjord small boat excursion that I won't see by staying on the cruise ship? What exactly DO you see from the cruise ship??

What you see or don't see will depend on ice conditions, you can't say in advance. You do get a lot closer on the small boat but it can be a very LONG ride to get there.

Even if you get as close as a cruise ship can get, you don't have the same perspective that you get from being lower in the water on the small boat excursion.

(Caveat: My most favorite cruise ship excursion - EVER.)