Notebook or...?

jorgeminiano

:confused: Do you people prefer to bring your own notebook to read your emails and send news to home/friends, or do you usualy use the computers of the ships (LAN HOUSE??)? Or, the best thing to do is none of the options and forget the world "outside" ?

Most islands have an internet cafe right close to the port pier. I usually ask one of the uniformed individuals or even the cabin steward for advice about which would be most convenient. They are very cheap, I get to email home and friends, have a coffee and enjoy a moment of AC!

:confused: Do you people prefer to bring your own notebook to read your emails and send news to home/friends, or do you usualy use the computers of the ships (LAN HOUSE??)? Or, the best thing to do is none of the options and forget the world "outside" ?

One thing to note: If you take your own computer you have the flexibility to download your email then log out while you write answers rather than having to use time to write answers at high per minute rates.

Cheers!

Tee

I have never taken a computer on a cruise. I am considering taking one on my next cruise to download pictures and videos.

I won't use the internet on the ship, it's too expensive. I have used the internet at an internet cafe off the ship, much cheaper and faster.

I always carry one of my laptops. because ...

1) download digital pictures

2) burn CDs/DVDs of digital pictures (often for fellow passengers of their

pictures)

3) talking books and music (yes, I schlep my iPod also)

4) so my wife can play games

5) on-line check-in for flights; reconfirm hotels, etc. et al

Also, we never take just a cruise... there is always a land portion before and/or after.

For emails: I have my own domain, so I make up a new email address for each trip and give it to people who might really NEED to contact me. On board the ship, this will be the only address I check.

There is no right or wrong here. We do take our notebook for a variety of reasons. I prefer to do my e mail from my room and it is more efficient for me to draft the documents in word where I am not consuming internet minutes and then sign on the internet when I am ready to send them. I also like to download my pictures to the computer and to also put them on CD's. So, for me much easier to take the notebook and I have a relatively small one for travel.

Keith

We never take a computer on vacation.

My husband has a very small CD burner he uses to store our pictures.

The only time I've ever sent an email on vacation was when I wanted to let my parents know that I was thinking of them on the anniversary of my brother's death. We used the ship's computer for that.

No way would I bring a computer onboard. It's expensive to connect and slow as molasses.

Those times I've found it necessary to send a message for one reason or another, I've just used the ships service.... Never sent more than one or two over the years and only because something was important.

I do, however, take a couple of really, really good paperbacks!!!!!:D

The only wireless device I take is my ITouch -- it's small and works as an IPOD as well as a way to access the internet and e-mail. I seem to find free wifi in most ports as we wander around and it's real easy to take the ITouch out of my pocket if I want to look at e-mail.

I have discovered that when I decide not to read or answer e-mails when on vacation -- my family is still my family and friends are still my friends when I get home, the world has not stopped and nothing horrible has happened. I also refrain from sending e-mails to my family and friends when I know they are on vacation.

If I need to dump the memory card in my camera to a CD -- it takes a few minutes to stop at a shop in a port and make the CD.

To me -- a vacation is a tlme to do things that I don't take the time to do when I am home..... and leaving the laptop at home is one great way to accomplish that.

• 8 years later...
Back when this thread started, nearly 10 years ago, smartphones were not very smart! :D

Just to advise - this thread has been spammed that is why it has been resurrected and may well be one of the threads on CC that is now totally irrelevant

I have advised admin but they will be thin on the ground

at weekend I guess.

Just to advise - this thread has been spammed.

Just what does that mean?

....and may well be one of the threads on CC that is now totally irrelevant

And why would such discussion be "totally irrelevant??

I have advised admin .

kermit_zpslpttkdeb.png

Just to advise - this thread has been spammed that is why it has been resurrected and may well be one of the threads on CC that is now totally irrelevant

I have advised admin but they will be thin on the ground

at weekend I guess.

Well, I think admin will want to take out the spam link, and have a word with that poster, but the thread itself is mildly amusing after all this time. Sometimes it's fun to see things from way back!

verb (used with object), spammed, spamming. 4. (lowercase) Digital Technology. to send spam to.

And why would such discussion be "totally irrelevant??

I did say May be!

Had it not been spammed NO-ONE has looked at it since 2008 - had it been relevant dont you think someone might have searched for it or even tripped over it and posted a reply in all these years?

kermit_zpslpttkdeb.png

I dont understand the Kermit reference -if it relates to my advising admin of the spam , that is simply so anyone else visiting doesnt need to and admin dont need to wade through loads of advices. There are at least 8 spam messages from this poster and if 10 people advise admin of each one then they would have 80 messages to plough through.

>>>>

verb (used with object), spammed, spamming. 4. (lowercase) Digital Technology. to send spam to.

<<<<<

Admittedly, I can be quite dense, but that is part of my charming personality.

However, I do know the meaning and definition of spam. Having read the entire thread twice, I was looking for the specific "spam". Was it the word that had a link that went to a website that does not exist?

Just a note, I, as others appreciate your taking the time to keep the board safe.

As for Kermit, when I see stupid, redundant, offensive, spam, etc, I just pretend I did not see it and move on.

>>>>

<<<<<

Admittedly, I can be quite dense, but that is part of my charming personality.

However, I do know the meaning and definition of spam. Having read the entire thread twice, I was looking for the specific "spam". Was it the word that had a link that went to a website that does not exist?

Just a note, I, as others appreciate your taking the time to keep the board safe.

As for Kermit, when I see stupid, redundant, offensive, spam, etc, I just pretend I did not see it and move on.

If you read the new post, it doesn't make much sense. If you click on the username of the poster, and click on 'see all posts by' you will see that they are random and most make even less sense. And a couple have links to websites to sell stuff. Thus the poster is a spammer. EM

I bring my own ipad.