Juneau: How strenuous is the Glacier Lake Kayak Paddle?

new_cruiser

I'm thinking of taking the Above and Beyond Glacier Lake Kayak Paddle:

http://beyondak.com/trips/glacier-lake-paddle/

but I'm a bit concerned about whether I can do it.

They rate it as "Moderate No Experience Required", but the important notes include:

"The padding distance from our kayak launch site on the west side of Mendenhall Lake to views of Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls is about 2.5 miles one-way (or 5-miles roundtrip based on the loop outlined in our map). You must be physically capable of paddling this distance in less than three hours."

With no experience, how are you supposed to know if you are capable of paddling 5 miles in less than three hours?

My only paddling experience was decades ago in white water rafting trips. That's not the same thing at all as the river current is providing most of the forward motion and one is paddling (occasionally quite aggressively) to get in the right channel and avoid the rocks or getting caught in the eddy.

If you've taken this excursion, I'd appreciate feedback on how hard this is. I'm in my 60s and not terribly athletic.

This is a different tour than we did, but kayak time and distance is very similar. We did the one where you take White Pass rail up and kayak on a lake.

It will depend a lot on how windy it is, but I have a feeling that it's usually windy up there.

We just did it 3 days ago, and it was a fantastic excursion. The guides and everyone were great. I'm 46 and had no trouble with it, it was my second time kayaking with the first being 8 years ago. So I'm far from experienced.

There was 2 couples in their 60s, they looked to be in average shape fitness wise. They squawked a bit at the end "you guys we're trying to kill the 60 year-olds!" However that seems to be their way of trying to brag more than anything. They were an annoying bunch still basing their worth on the football team from their local universities.

If you have time before the trip, maybe do a few weeks of moderate training to prepare. Not necessarily rowing, but maybe the first 3 weeks of "couch to 5k" program. If you can get through that you can do this. Their 2-person kayaks, so you'll be working together. Worst comes to worst and a guide can also help tow you.

The kayaks top out st about a 44 waist, if you can fit you can probably do it without too much trouble.

Do you exercise? Can walk distances without taking "rests" or getting out of breath? Are you active? No problem with walking tours or stairs? Haul in your house and put away a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries without "help".

I don't know what your answer is, but with you asking the question, this may not be for you.

You do have to be "fit" and have upper body strength. It isn't a fast trip across. And unless you are with someone you can take advantage of, will have to contribute with the paddling.

Hope you find your answer.

Thundercleese, the website says that there can be strong winds that make the trip challenging on sunny days - something about ice sublimating and making cold air that sinks downslope creating a wind blowing from the glacier. It is more likely in the afternoon.

It turns out, that I can't take this excursion anyway. It is only available some days (usually twice a week) and isn't offered on the day we are in port. Looking at a couple of days when it is offered, it starts early - like 8 AM (perhaps to minimize the wind issue). They have a canoe trip that goes every day, but it includes a hike to the ice caves once the lake is crossed and I don't want to do that and it is a longer trip than I want. We get to Juneau at 11 AM and that trip would take almost all the port time.

So the new plan is take the tram when we arrive in port if visibility is good, then take a shuttle to Mendenhall to do the visitor center and hike to the falls. Then back to Juneau - if we didn't take the tram before Mendenhall, maybe take it after. Visit the town including the museum.

It may be a moot point now for you, new_cruiser, but I will answer for subsequent readers of this thread who may have the same question.

We took this excursion a few weeks ago. The kayaks are all doubles, so you've got two people paddling which helps. I am over 60 and exercise regularly, but I have little-to-no upper body strength. Even so, I had no problem with this excursion. In fact, our group paddled the entire distance in 2 hours as opposed to the allotted 2.5 hours. (I wish our guide had taken us on a longer route back as none of us were having problems paddling, but I think he was anxious to end the tour.). We did not have any wind in the lake for our afternoon excursion.

It may be a moot point now for you, new_cruiser, but I will answer for subsequent readers of this thread who may have the same question.

We took this excursion a few weeks ago. The kayaks are all doubles, so you've got two people paddling which helps. I am over 60 and exercise regularly, but I have little-to-no upper body strength. Even so, I had no problem with this excursion. In fact, our group paddled the entire distance in 2 hours as opposed to the allotted 2.5 hours. (I wish our guide had taken us on a longer route back as none of us were having problems paddling, but I think he was anxious to end the tour.). We did not have any wind in the lake for our afternoon excursion.

Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. We are on canoe and glacier trek. Also over 60 and an exerciser. Expected I could do it but like hearing experience from someone similar.