Shopping in Bermuda

andychris

Lusso at 51 Front St. Hamilton has a good selection of designer handbags, shoes and high-end fashion. I don't know if they have Louis Vuitton. There was a Louis Vuitton store in Hamilton, but it closed a few years ago.

A number of "high end" stores have vanished from Bermuda in recent decades. Through the fifties - and probably the seventies - Bermuda was generally a "high end" destination. It cost big money to get there - and big money to stay there, and most visitors were high end spenders - many of whom have moved on to other places as so many alternative destinations have opened up.

The thousands of high end, high-spending, vacationers who went there in the past have been replaced by the many tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of budget-minded cruisers. Stores like Louis Vuitton - and the ultimate Bermuda store, Trimmingham's - no longer had the market they previously enjoyed.

A number of "high end" stores have vanished from Bermuda in recent decades. Through the fifties - and probably the seventies - Bermuda was generally a "high end" destination. It cost big money to get there - and big money to stay there, and most visitors were high end spenders - many of whom have moved on to other places as so many alternative destinations have opened up.

The thousands of high end, high-spending, vacationers who went there in the past have been replaced by the many tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of budget-minded cruisers. Stores like Louis Vuitton - and the ultimate Bermuda store, Trimmingham's - no longer had the market they previously enjoyed.

I know all about it. We've been regular visitors to Bermuda for 30 years. Even in the mid 80's when we started vacationing in Bermuda the department stores and specialty shops on Front St. still appeared to be thriving.

More than 20 years ago we purchased every day china and glassware in Bermuda in patterns we hadn't seen near home, and we still use it today. The price was reasonable too. The funny thing was we found the shipment of china sitting at our front door when we arrived home a couple of days after buying it. We couldn't figure out how it had made it there from Bermuda so quickly, but a glance at the invoice solved the mystery. The china was shipped from a bonded warehouse in the US located only a few miles from our home, not from Bermuda. The department store maintained an inventory through the manufacturer's distributor in the US because so many of the store's customers were from here.

I know all about it. We've been regular visitors to Bermuda for 30 years. Even in the mid 80's when we started vacationing in Bermuda the department stores and specialty shops on Front St. still appeared to be thriving.

More than 20 years ago we purchased every day china and glassware in Bermuda in patterns we hadn't seen near home, and we still use it today. The price was reasonable too. The funny thing was we found the shipment of china sitting at our front door when we arrived home a couple of days after buying it. We couldn't figure out how it had made it there from Bermuda so quickly, but a glance at the invoice solved the mystery. The china was shipped from a bonded warehouse in the US located only a few miles from our home, not from Bermuda. The department store maintained an inventory through the manufacturer's distributor in the US because so many of the store's customers were from here.

Same for us....several years ago we bought some additional pieces of Wedgwood China (I think form Trimminghams which is long gone). It was shipped from someplace in NJ (I think), but definitely not shipped from Bermuda. Part of the charm of Hamilton was browsing in the shops. Trimminghams is the only name I remember, but there were 2 or 3 great stores. I'm surprised at least one of them didn't become a Macy's LOL!!!!!!!! It was fun looking at the woolens, china, other things so very very British. It was part of the charm of Hamilton. I remember buying a couple of Bermuda bags for friends. We were just there lat week and I couldn't find a Bermuda bag for sale anywhere!