Travel Ins...but no cruise involved.

Ashland

We're considering spending a week in Shanghai this coming early November. We usually always cruise and buy travel insurance with a 3rd party to cover everything. This trip I will only have roundtrip flights LAX-PVG and hotel ( no pre-payment which I can cancel 24 hrs before arrival) my concern is possible medical emergency while there (over 65 and healthy)...so what kind of insurance should I be considering? I will call Steve at the Trip Insurance Store when my plans have been confirmed but just wanted a bit of advice beforehand. Thanks so much.

You can put trip cost as $0 and still get the medical coverage

What about the cost of my flight or should I just take the flight insurance Delta offers:confused:

What about the cost of my flight or should I just take the flight insurance Delta offers:confused:

Does Delta offer medical coverage?

Steve can best help you.

IF you need coverage for pre-existing conditions, you *might* need to insure all of the pre-paid travel costs, refundable or not. That's the type of coverage we have (but we are older and have some medical issues that could be effected by pre-existing condition restrictions.

But we do what you are doing... we try to "guarantee" but not pre-pay as many costs as possible.

Cruise costs can't work this way, but hotels are usually easy to handle this way (unless there is a special non-refundable rate, which isn't always the case).

We've insured several cruises (and cruise/land) trips, and several land-only trips through Steve, using Travel Insured.

Importantly, we've had a couple of large claims, and they were paid promptly upon their receipt of all documentation (nothing unusual was required). That's what it is all about, after all!

Many do not seem to know that MC, Visa, etc have included coverage for travel purchased with their card. Not all CC's have this feature, but it is worth exploring. No extra charge, coverage is automatic. No medical is included, just trip delay, trip interruption.

For medical we use Geo-Blue (http://www.geoblue.com) with a very cost effective annual plan.

Many do not seem to know that MC, Visa, etc have included coverage for travel purchased with their card. Not all CC's have this feature, but it is worth exploring. No extra charge, coverage is automatic. No medical is included, just trip delay, trip interruption.

For medical we use Geo-Blue (www.geoblue.com) with a very cost effective annual plan.

Some include emergency evacuation and small medical. My card includes 2500 medical (50 deductible). Enough to cover small things like food poisoning. Many health insurance policies cover out if network, out of country, for true emergencies such as heart attack.

We now make sure to have medical insurance when ever we go out of the country. Since we are both old enough for Medicare we know it only covers us in the USA. Better safe than sorry.

When you get to Shanghai and are in need of some real western food, check out the Blue Frog. It was a real treat for us after 3 weeks traveling and cruising around Asia.

We are in the same position as you guys. Husband just went on Medicare with Blue Cross C+ . It does not cover out of country. We are driving to port and hotel can be cancelled, so I'm interested in health coverage plus air evac for something unexpected and serious. We are both healthy but I hate the thought of traveling uninsured.

Steve gets around. LOL. Is the tripinsurancestore.com and Travel Insured the same thing? Also, for those that have purchased, have you had to use this? I want to make sure I purchase thru whoever would be a no hassle company.

Thanks for your help!

Macy

We are in the same position as you guys. Husband just went on Medicare with Blue Cross C+ . It does not cover out of country. We are driving to port and hotel can be cancelled, so I'm interested in health coverage plus air evac for something unexpected and serious. We are both healthy but I hate the thought of traveling uninsured.

Steve gets around. LOL. Is the tripinsurancestore.com and Travel Insured the same thing? Also, for those that have purchased, have you had to use this? I want to make sure I purchase thru whoever would be a no hassle company.

Thanks for your help!

Macy

Steve (and www.TripInsuranceStore.com) is an insurance broker. He sells policies from several vetted insurance companies (usually more than one type of policy from each, I think).

Travel Insured is one of those insurance companies, and it's the one we've used most of the time, and all of our claims have been with their policies... and they've paid with NO nonsense. Therefore, we'll stick with them.

(The only time we don't use Travel Insured is the rare time when we had made a deposit, thinking we wouldn't go on that trip, but held the space just in case, etc., and then decide to go. In that case, we've missed the early window with Travel Insured for the particular coverage that had a waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, which is very important for us. Then, twice, we've switched to CSA coverage, but didn't have any claims.)

We always suggest CALLING him (them) and NOT relying only on the online summaries.

The "fine print" can REALLY matter in these cases.

He'll help you find the best policy for your particular needs, and that might not be Travel Insured.

Good luck.