Cruises without kids

jposada01

Good morning everyone...first time poster.

Next June will be our 20th annv and we're thinking we'd maybe do a cruise, maybe 5 days. We don't do it alot, but we've done it before. We're in our 60s, though mentally a little younger (I photograph rock bands)

Anyway, because this will be June, school is out and we'd rather avoid "kid-friendly" cruises and keep kids to a minimum. Nothing against kids, we just don't want to vacation with someone elses.

Chances are we would board from the NJ/NY area and stay in a warm environment, though we don't have a problem with boarding from somewhere else on the east coast.

We're kinda open to price, though not very high end (no Windjammer). Basically, what we want is bake by the pool all day with umbrella drinks and eat well in the evening...we might not even get off the ship.:cool:

Suggestions?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The Celebrity Summit to Bermuda would be PERFECT for you. Great ship, great service. Kids in NJ get out around the 21st, 22nd of June and NYC gets out the following week...so if they have dates open earlier in June, you would fare better. The Summit usually does not have as many kids on it as RCCL and NCL anyway. (many more activities on those ships for children)

What you are looking for will not be found on a five night cruise in June. As you expect a short cruise at that time of year will attract families with kids of all ages, college students, stag/hen groups, and the rest of the works. To avoid the above you should look for a cruise longer than seven days and/or an "open jaw" cruise that starts in one port and ends in another rather than round-trip.

And I'm guessing your "high end" reference was meant to say Windstar Cruises or a similar high-end small ship line. The Windjammer line has been gone since 2007.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The Celebrity Summit to Bermuda would be PERFECT for you. Great ship, great service. Kids in NJ get out around the 21st, 22nd of June and NYC gets out the following week...

Other parts of the country schools can get out the end of May nothing to stop families from travelling to NYC to get on a cruise

Other parts of the country schools can get out the end of May nothing to stop families from travelling to NYC to get on a cruise

Yes, I agree and understand, but I think more families would go on the Anthem or the Breakaway as opposed to the Summit, which is not nearly as family oriented. :)

Summit doesn't attract that many kids compared to ncl and rccl and tbh the clubs are intensive so you don't see many of them. Just because NY or NJ are not out doesn't mean people won't travel from other areas to the ship where the kids are out. We did 1 st week June out of NY to Bermuda on ncl and it was packed with kids

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's going to be hard to avoid kids on a short cruise in June - but first step is to immediately strike carnival and royal Caribbean from your choices. Second the recommendation for celebrity, attracts fewer families than some of the other lines. Same with HAL, though that attracts an older demographic overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best bet for a quality experience with few children would be HAL Veendam - Boston to Bermuda 6/9. It is 7 days. Pretty much anything else from NY or Baltimore would attract children as schools from other parts of the country are out in late May - and many know how to get to NY.

You know it won't only be people from you area on any given cruise....so time of year isn't the only factor for having less kids! The time of year when there ARE fewer kids (there will never be a cruise on a mainstream line with NO kids!) would be after Christmas Break...most schools resume around the beginning of Jan....

As long as they aren't YOUR kids, you can safely ignore them!

We were on Celebrity Summit, a 7 day cruise, in June and there were more than 400 kids on board. People come from all over the US and Canada to cruise on Summit, not just NY and NJ families. And, many districts are out of school in May/.

OP, there aren't many, if any, 5 day cruises out of NY or NJ in June that won't have an adults only atmosphere. Sorry, but summer cruises are popular with families.

Shame you are not in the UK. P&O have a couple of adult only ships.

Three, now that little Adonia has returned from being the Fathom line.:)

Also Cruise and Maritime and Saga, plus Thomson and Fred Olsen do some child free cruises. :D

5 day cruises out of East coast with few kids do not exist without going High end. longer cruises( 10 plus days) or sailing in like October will have fewer kids on board. choosing a line which has few or no Kids programming also works.

that being said, June is also when the cruise ships move to Europe and the Mediterranean for the season.

Many of the mainstream lines have adult-only sections, which also tend to be more luxurious. We haven't tried them but maybe someone can chime in here regarding how well that's enforced. I have seen a rising number of complaints about Disney no longer keeping kids out of the adult-only sections, for example. Carnival has a Havana section that always looks really nice. I think it's the Solarium on Royal. Vibe on NCL.

Consider an adult only resort. There have been previous suggestions, in other threads, on how to increase your probability of a more adult cruise. NONE of the suggestions work for you. They include booking a premium $$$ cruise line. Book a longer (more then one week) cruise. Don't book when many schools are on vacation. Book a cruise that's more expensive for a family, Europe for example. Avoid cruises from ports which are easy and cheap for families. That means ports within driving distance (NYC) and/or cheap flights (Florida).

I would have thought the Celebrity Summit would have worked until I read the previous poster. 400 kids isn't the experience you're looking for.

Just checked. June 3rd and June 10th , 7 days to Bermuda out of NJ

Holland America Line, Veendam, Boston to Bermuda to Boston 7 days. unllike other larger ships, she docks in down town Hamilton.