Eurodam June 17th Alaska

2Xayear

Caught the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle. Stayed overnight at the Quality Inn, simply because the arrival time and cruise departure time is about 2 hours. Any Clipper delay or transfer delay is cutting it too short, so we decided to overnight. It is really our preference to do this anyways before a cruise. Checked in and walked to Seattle Centre where we saw the awesome Chihuly Museum. Spectacular is an understatement! Went up the Space Needle to complete the Tourist experience. Enjoyed that too! Found a street front restaurant for dinner. That was great too. I guess you could say an awesome Day 1!

I had great aspirations to post during the cruise but although I could get photos to my iPad from my camera and do a few edits, I could only upload to facebook via my iphone and that was only when in port. For the first time ever, I did NOT buy a cruise internet package.

We traveled from Victoria to Seattle via the Clipper but the connections for the ship could have been an issue so the day before is always best!! :) Hotels are not inexpensive in Seattle with all the cruise passengers along with the normal tourist influx just because it is a nice place to visit. We stayed at the Quality Inn downtown, I jokingly refereed to it as having been built about the same time as the Space Needle. :p It did the job however and it was only for a night. Complimentary breakfast and they did have a shuttle to the pier too. I think it was $10 each.

Arrived mid afternoon and the Chihuly Gardens was on my must see list. (Walking distance from the hotel) Loved it!! We used to live in Seattle and have been a fan of Dale's for many years. This is a great way to showcase his work. Bought the "Combo Package" at the Gardens and did the Space Needle too. A beautiful day and it was really worth the stop. Interesting how the flower selection intentionally compliments the glass colours.

Walked back to the hotel for cocktail hour. Didn't know what to do for dinner but it was late now and we just wanted something close by. Found a spot not far away. Ate outside and enjoyed a nice Seattle evening and people watched. There were some sights to see I must say.

Now for some photos. I see that CC requires quite a dumb down version to attach so hearing no issues on my earlier comment, will post and link to my Facebook page.

Embarkation Day

Embarkation was smooth as silk. Caught the shuttle from the hotel to the Pier. We were on-board in less than an hour. Rooms were ready so we stowed our carry on bags and headed to the MDR for lunch. I don't know for sure if we have ever been on the Eurodam but we have been on her sister so things were familiar at least. She was refitted I think in the last year or two so she's in real nice shape. We were aboard and delighted to be there!!

Had dinner in the Tamarind. My gawd, the food was even better than I remembered!

I use a CPAP machine and noted that the only power outlets are over the desk on the opposite side of the room. HAL got me a Power bar with a 6' cord so I was able to run power but one had to be careful not to trip on the cord during any overnight bathroom visits. :)

Photo link:

Edited by 2Xayear
More info

Sea Day enroute to Juneau

Woke up to overcast skies but in spite of that, enjoyed a lovely sea day as we steamed north to Juneau. Took a few photos aboard ship. Had planned to take the HAL kitchen tour but I think 1,000 of the 2,000 aboard decided it was a good idea too. I chose to pass, grab a coffee and read instead.

Sea Day Photos:

Juneau:

Arrival in Juneau was at 1:00 pm. I had booked with Juneau Tours for a 2:30 Whale Watch, followed by a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier. Loved the Whale Watching trip. Saw several whales, all humpbacks and a stop at the Can Buoy to see the sea lions. Back on shore, the bus was waiting and took us to the Glacier. Had time to walk out to Nugget Falls for some photos before a return trip to the ship at 7:00. A great day indeed.

Juneau Photos:

Glacier Bay:

I got up early to enjoy the day. Weather started out a little grim but the day turned into probably one of our nicest days ever in Glacier Bay. We were not allowed to visit the John Hopkins Glacier dues to the seal pups in the area but we did manage a peek around the point on our leaving Glacier Bay. The Captain parked us off Marjorie and the Grand Pacific Glaciers for almost 2 hours! I suspect the extra time was due to the non stop at John Hopkins. Whatever the reason, it was much appreciated. Marjorie did not do much calving but with the sun out and blue skies, she looked beautiful!! Glacier Bay never ceases to amaze and this visit was extraordinary, as always! I took lot's of photos so please forgive the number to scroll through.

Photos:

Sitka:

Sitka was the primary reason to do Alaska another time, having never visiting this port. It's a beautiful stop and well worth the visit. Shuttle to town takes about 10 minutes and i must say, the commentary both directions was stellar! Drop off point is in "Downtown Sitka" and several tours and taxis are available from that point. Had two things I really wanted to see. One being the Fortress of the Bear and the other, the Raptor Centre. Booked a combo Tour for $30 each but after thinking we had an hour wait, cancelled with the gracious tour company and hopped in a cab instead. The Fortress of the Bear is a really good visit. Read up on it before you go so you really understand, in advance, the work these volunteers, are able to accomplish. Alaska state law forbids the return of bear cubs to the wild, in spite of 29 other US states and BC, that have come to realize, is a viable option. http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

The Raptor Centre was interesting but after visiting what I think is one of the premier Raptor Centres ever, in Duncan BC, is not of the same calibre. They do yeomen service to the Raptor community and I still enjoyed the visit. Taxi back to town and then the shuttle to the ship. We look back on our day in Sitka as a great day overall!!

Photos:

Juneau:

Arrival in Juneau was at 1:00 pm. I had booked with Juneau Tours for a 2:30 Whale Watch, followed by a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier. Loved the Whale Watching trip. Saw several whales, all humpbacks and a stop at the Can Buoy to see the sea lions. Back on shore, the bus was waiting and took us to the Glacier. Had time to walk out to Nugget Falls for some photos before a return trip to the ship at 7:00. A great day indeed.

Juneau Photos:

[/url][/quote]

Loving your photo report.

Quick question - who did you book the Glacier/Whale watch with? We are sailing the Eurodam 9/2 and booked independent with Juneau Whale Watch for a great price.....

Juneau:

Juneau Photos:

[/quote]

Loving your photo report.

Quick question - who did you book the Glacier/Whale watch with? We are sailing the Eurodam 9/2 and booked independent with Juneau Whale Watch for a great price.....

Juneau Tours

Ketchikan:

Arrival was the typical Ketchikan weather...rain, but on this visit, the clouds cleared and it was actually a nice day. (My wife even commented on departure, that she saw islands around Ketchikan for the first time)

My wife stayed aboard and I went for a walk. I had no plans however, but the sheer volume of jewelry stores got me to thinking about a ring I wanted. I made a game of walking to a shop, the inevitable greeter at the door. I asked if they had a particular ring. They detest saying No but in my case they had no choice and I carried on to the next shop. In the end I had no success but I got to wander the streets of Ketchikan. :)

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10158840422260133.1073742216.869875132&type=1&l=91692bb3d2

Victoria:

We are from Victoria and could probably have got off here instead of the overnight to Seattle for disembarkation, but we decided to stay on board. Watched the hordes departing from both the Princess and our ship, as well as the Norwegian Jewel docked at an adjacent pier.

We had a lovely dinner, packed our bags and were in bed before the ship departed Victoria. :)

We were asked by many, what to do in Victoria. My response was always the same. You can never go wrong with Butchart Gardens!

Photos:

Seattle - Victoria:

Disembarkation was smooth. A bit chaotic at the Pier but that is to be expected.

So what are my thoughts on the cruise? After having been to Alaska several times and growing weary of seeing the same thing, this one was a terrific surprise. Loved the Eurodam, loved the stop in Sitka and the rest of the ports were made all that much better with the unusually great weather we experienced.

Negatives? We noticed many changes in the way things are done now. Worthy belly-aching about? No.

Positives? Lots!! The crew are as fabulous as always. HAL upgraded our room just prior to departure. Thought the food was still great and love the Chop Chop salad option in the Lido. The weather...incredibly good. Would we do it again? :p Time will tell!!

And so ends what turned out to be more of a photo gallery than a real review, but it is what it is. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Photos:

Victoria:

We are from Victoria

You can never go wrong with Butchart Gardens!

Interesting to hear form a local. & for someone who is not a fan of planned gardens, your recommendation in Victoria would be______?

I'm travelling with an 8.5 year old boy & will be in Victoria from 1 to 11 on Sunday, July 30th. My current plans are Fisherman's Wharf to see the habituated seals &/or the Bug Zoo.