Sorta Urgent Alaska Help needed (part 2)

MsSoCalCruiser

We were all set to book tomorrow with a cruise on hold but now we have some questions… Some of my group are asking if princess has a cruise with a four-day land tour (2 day Denali) that will also stop in Sitka or icy Strait Point. A few of our cruisers are wanting to do the zip line in Icy Strait Point. Please help... Trying to figure this out tonight .

Interesting question! Icy Strait Point appears to be included on northbound cruises on the Island Princess in 2018. So as long as you are willing to do your land tour after the cruise and are OK sailing on the Island, it should work.

Are you booking for this summer or next?

Island Princess northbound Vancouver-Whittier cruises in 2018 will stop at Icy Strait Point instead of the current Ketchikan. I'll leave the remaining research (whether any available cruisetours meet your criteria) to you.

Only Princess calls in Sitka are on a handful of Grand Princess round trip San Francisco sailings, presumably due to a regular port on that itinerary being overbooked for that week. So no associated land portion with a Sitka stop.

Interesting question! Icy Strait Point appears to be included on northbound cruises on the Island Princess in 2018. So as long as you are willing to do your land tour after the cruise and are OK sailing on the Island, it should work.

Thank you. That's exactly what I saw. I was hoping I was missing something because we have one couple doing the land tour and they really wanted to do the tour portion first.

I was looking forward to cruising on the Star or Golden Princess but I will be fine with anything as long as what everybody wants works out. I have never cruised on the Island Princess before so I'm not sure if I would like it or not. Have you tried the ship before?

Have you been to icy Strait? I wonder what it's like there.

It's super small with not much there, however they have the most awesome small boat whale watches. The best, IMHO. Love Floyd fishes.

Way better than Harv and Marv in Juneau.

It's super small with not much there, however they have the most awesome small boat whale watches. The best, IMHO. Love Floyd fishes.

Thank you! Do you book the small whale watching trips from the cruiseline or an independent?

Last summer our 10 day Alaska out of San Francisco stopped at Icy Strait. We did a private tour to see bears. Lots of fun but required patience. Guide knew where the bears appear and we waited quite a while for them to show up, and they did.

I saw the Zip line, and it appeared to be small. Since we didn't do it, really can't comment on it.

The port was small, with a couple of shops inside a building. The place is not commercialized like the other ports with all those jewelry stores, not a single one there. It was a nice change.

Last summer our 10 day Alaska out of San Francisco stopped at Icy Strait.

I saw the Zip line, and it appeared to be small. Since we didn't do it, really can't comment on it.

As an FYI - The zip line at Icy Straight Point is the longest one in the world.

Independent. There are more than one to pick from. Around 160 bucks pp and worth every penny. Only 6 to a boat.

Someone posted the zip line was longest in the world.Hard to believe in such a tiny place where ships hardly ever show up.(and only in the summer months.

Then Silly Jilly who actually did it said it took 60 seconds. I go with Jilly's opinion.

It is long and takes a long time to get to the top through winding mountain roads, but it's a lot quicker going straight down. :D

A walk to town where there is nothing to see takes about 15 min.

I've done the whale watch twice and it was awesome both times!