Tell me......

tjcletsgo

Ok, I've cruised Alaska r/t Vancouver once and it was my favorite cruise (out of 10). I never have been interested in going to Denali, it didn't seem very pretty to me. After a decade of reading Alaska reviews I'm starting to change my mind.

So, please tell me what was so great about Denali and would you go again?:cool:

Thanks so much!

Janiew

I've never been & honestly, I'm not "there" yet. (I hope to eventually do a DIY land portion in an RV, with Denali being a "part" of the journey - in more years that I am prepared to admit - too many other life events need to happen before I can budget for another AK vacation.)

It seems to be a personal choice (or a default without thought) like any other option be it fishing, flight seeing, or whale watching. What might be a "Must do" for some isn't that big of a deal or a "heck no" for others.

I'm a Denali repeater, multiple times and always a multi day stop, when I am in mainland Alaska. It is dramatic varied scenery, with potential wildlife sightings. Always different so a single, "report" is a one time experience. You never know what you will see. :)

There are some "dismisses" and wrong assumptions made with potential visitors. Plenty of reasons, they feel eliminate the choice.

But- there are many of us, who wouldn't miss it if it required twice the time investment. Depends on you.

I finally got my full Denali view a couple weeks ago. :) Unbelievable jackpot that was astounding. I'd done this transit at least 25 times and finally had that magical Denali in front of me. :)

Do you like National parks that are left as is? Do you want to see the wildlife in Denali? I have been to Denali twice and would like to go again. Alaska has gotten too popular over the last 20 years and I prefer the interior to see less people and to see wildlife. It's a little bit of a drive to Denali, but what is it you are going to Alaska for? Only you can answer that.

Why did we love Denali? Well, we were very lucky!

1. Weather was a bit chilly but gorgeous. Had two days of full Mt. Denali view with nary a cloud in the sky on the first day.

2. Saw an amazing amount of wildlife, including several grizzlies with cubs, caribou, sheep and a wolf cub walking down the road.

3. Dramatic fall foliage (in September)

4. Got in some good hiking.

5. Enjoyed the exhibits at Eielson Visitor Center

6. Patted the park's sled dogs and had a tasty lunch in the cafe