Alaska Naturalist

Pixiedust28

Hello All!

My mother and I have booked a Vista Suite (Malaga) on the Island Princess for June/July 2018. We plan to make full use of our wraparound balcony on the Glacier Bay day, but don't want to miss out on the Naturalist. I've read that his talk is broadcast on the TV in the room, as well as over the loud speakers around the ship. Will we be able to hear him over the speakers all the way at the back of the boat or am I going to have to blast the TV and leave the balcony door open? Thanks for any insight or tips!

Hello All!

My mother and I have booked a Vista Suite (Malaga) on the Island Princess for June/July 2018. We plan to make full use of our wraparound balcony on the Glacier Bay day, but don't want to miss out on the Naturalist. I've read that his talk is broadcast on the TV in the room, as well as over the loud speakers around the ship. Will we be able to hear him over the speakers all the way at the back of the boat or am I going to have to blast the TV and leave the balcony door open? Thanks for any insight or tips!

You will usually have to blast the TV and leave the balcony door open. Some people prefer not to have announcements heard in their cabins so ensure relaxation or sleep.

Sometimes, there is very little commentary while at the Glacier as they allow people to soak in the natural beauty of the surroundings. There will be some ... just don't expect non-stop commentary like before.

It really depends on where the speakers are in relation to your balcony ... we were midship on Island Princess and could hear clearly from our balcony. Glaciers are spectacular ... the captain 'twirls' the ship in one spot so that all are able to see it from wherever they are on the ship! If you can, go to the very front on your deck (your friendly steward can help you do that) ... when you first get to the end of Glacier Bay ... spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Park Rangers did join us on the way into Glacier Bay, spent the day on board and left us on the way out... if you get a chance to watch them 'catching' the ship and then leaving it ... its fun to see ... the ship does not stop but just slows down!

Enjoy every minute of your journey. No one can possibly tell you or show you how truly spectacular it is!

I will definitely try to see them catch the ship! Thanks so much again! It's still a year away, but I cannot wait!!!

Park Rangers did join us on the way into Glacier Bay, spent the day on board and left us on the way out... if you get a chance to watch them 'catching' the ship and then leaving it ... its fun to see ... the ship does not stop but just slows down!

Enjoy every minute of your journey. No one can possibly tell you or show you how truly spectacular it is!

I'd love to see this, and will probably have the opportunity (we are usually up in time for sunrise). Where on the ship would we look for it? Do they hop on at the tender doors? Swing onto the Lido Deck from a Tarzan rope?

I'd love to see this, and will probably have the opportunity (we are usually up in time for sunrise). Where on the ship would we look for it? Do they hop on at the tender doors? Swing onto the Lido Deck from a Tarzan rope?

They usually board the ship 1-2 hours before going into Glacier bay. Watch for a small boat coming up along side the ship. The ship won't stop, just slow down and they will bring the boat right up against the hull, in which the crew will open one of the cargo doors that is right above the water line, and they will "jump" onboard.

They usually board the ship 1-2 hours before going into Glacier bay. Watch for a small boat coming up along side the ship. The ship won't stop, just slow down and they will bring the boat right up against the hull, in which the crew will open one of the cargo doors that is right above the water line, and they will "jump" onboard.

Thanks! I've made a note, and will try to witness it if I can.

Here are a few photos I took of the Park Service boat returning to pick up the Park Rangers after our day in Glacier Bay, and take them back to Bartlett Cove. A lot of people were out on the balconies watching, and many of them called out "Thank You" as the Rangers sailed away. It was quite nice:

5892246253_7455ecc5d1_b.jpg

5892813196_dd1b38af16_b.jpg

Great shots.
Thanks. I wasn't able to get a photo of the Park Rangers leaving the ship because I was on an upper deck and the Park Service vessel was flush up against the ship and out of my view.

We just returned from Alaska on the Coral, Whittier to Vancouver. The Naturalist on board held several talks which were broadcast on the TV. She also provided information about each up coming port.

The Park Ranger came on board as stated above but we could only hear their commentary in certain spots on the ship on the outside decks. When on our balcony we heard nothing but did not have the TV on.

We just returned from Alaska on the Coral, Whittier to Vancouver. The Naturalist on board held several talks which were broadcast on the TV. She also provided information about each up coming port.

The Park Ranger came on board as stated above but we could only hear their commentary in certain spots on the ship on the outside decks. When on our balcony we heard nothing but did not have the TV on.

Thank you gma rae! :D