NCL’s Pride of America (POA) Hawaiian Cruise Review – June 10-17, 2017

tolkienfan43

Thanks for your very information review. We sail this October and are looking forward to experiencing the Hawaiian islands. We're also flying in 2 days early to acclimate to the time change from the east coast. We too are mixing up our excursions between private tour companies and NCL. I did extensive research before booking excursions thanks to all the great information on these boards and Trip Advisor.

Timing couldn't have been better for your thorough review as my girlfriend and I leave next Friday for the 7/1 cruise.

Also appreciate the explanation of the wine packages and where to purchase.

Can you tell me the earliest time you can board?

Ron

We took this cruise last year. We found the wine packages to be overpriced but you are a captive audience. My wife went to the Costco in Maui (they have a huge wine section) and bought a few bottles. Even with the $15 per bottle on-board charge she felt it was a better deal.

The comments about the ports are unfortunately too true. We had an aft balcony. I think it was Maui where the entire day a barge loaded and unloaded gravel. Very very industrial.

The ship is not the attraction on this cruise. It's the islands. They are spectacular. Spend as much time off the ship as you can. In Kauai, Poipu Beach Park. It's public. Free parking. Free bathhouse. Gorgeous.

We took this cruise last year. We found the wine packages to be overpriced but you are a captive audience. My wife went to the Costco in Maui (they have a huge wine section) and bought a few bottles. Even with the $15 per bottle on-board charge she felt it was a better deal.

The comments about the ports are unfortunately too true. We had an aft balcony. I think it was Maui where the entire day a barge loaded and unloaded gravel. Very very industrial.

The ship is not the attraction on this cruise. It's the islands. They are spectacular. Spend as much time off the ship as you can. In Kauai, Poipu Beach Park. It's public. Free parking. Free bathhouse. Gorgeous.

Thanks for the info Bill, we are sailing this Saturday and have rented cars at most of the ports.

Will stop and get wine before we board. How many bottles can we bring aboard?

Ron

Wow! Great review! I have been wanting to do this cruise for years- Just waiting to pull the trigger. After reading your review I just may have to go ahead and book for 2019. I already have my 2018 planned. Thanks for taking the time!!

Take the plunge! You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info Bill, we are sailing this Saturday and have rented cars at most of the ports.

Will stop and get wine before we board. How many bottles can we bring aboard?

Ron

I don't recall there being a limit. You may have to temporarily surrender the bottles (they mark them with your info) and pick them up later at one of the bars (John Adams?) if they can't charge your room card when you get back on. Check when you are leaving the ship.

I also recall that hooking up with rental car shuttles is pretty easy at both Maui and Kauai. I think they queue you up along side the excursions and the vans pick you up. Also a strip shopping center less than 10 mins away in Maui, but there's no place to park a car overnight. Avis recommends using airport parking. Enterprise might let you use their lot if you rent from them but it's a mile or so away.

At Kauai there are two overnight parking lots across the street from each other about a mile from the dock. One runs a shuttle back to the port (Anchor Cove shopping center?). I parked across the street at the other and took the shuttle anyway. About $20? There are some older posts that say you can park at Maui but not any more (as of last year). Wife went scuba diving early on day 2 so I walked over and picked up the car. A drive over to the canyon is fantastic.

We also opted to do excursions through Roberts Travel. I wanted to do the Road to Hana (spoiler, there's nothing really in Hana, it's about the road itself) and buying a 3-trip package make sense considering the cost of Hana. The Volcanoes and Rainbow Falls tour in Hilo was lame. Falls are nice, you see some of Hilo. Nut farm a waste of time except it's where you buy a box lunch. Volcano Park hit or miss, usually miss but you're there, go look for volcanoes! Did the Kauai Hollywood movie tour the last day. Very corny but a fun trip.

Roberts had a deal to buy Polynesian Tours (the company NCL uses) but it fell through earlier this year. I found them to be fine and the price if you book online is much less.

Also liked the Kona Brewery tour even though it was at 10:30 am. About a ten minute walk from the dock after you take the tender - but hills. You learn that the Kona beer you get on the ship was actually brewed and bottled in Portland Oregon. On the island they only brew kegs!

Hi thank you for detailed review. it was very helpful. Sounds like you booked your own air. How far in advance did you book? Right now we are booked on NCL air sea but may change it. We are flying out of New York and don't want more than one stop.

Just as a reference point - we flew out of NY/JFK, and booked Hawaiian Airlines, which leaves out of the Jetblue terminal. We traveled during the busiest part of the year - Christmas week into New Year's week. We paid $1,085 pp round trip for "extra space" seats - well worth the upcharge. We were non-stop both ways. Thought that was a pretty reasonable price for the time of year we traveled. We booked around 9 months out, but the prices never really changed - I checked every week!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! Wife and I are retiring from City of Las Vegas in April and have already booked this cruise for 4/13/19. Will start looking at shore excursions and such! We splurged and booked a penthouse on deck 12. Thanks for all the tips.

Thank you so much! Wife and I are retiring from City of Las Vegas in April and have already booked this cruise for 4/13/19. Will start looking at shore excursions and such! We splurged and booked a penthouse on deck 12. Thanks for all the tips.

My DD, DGD and I had a great cruise on POA. We hope to take this girl's trip again. I am sure you will enjoy every moment.

My retirement trip was to Alaska with my DH five years ago. One of our best cruises which I think a little had to do with my pending retirement two weeks after we returned! We met some dear friends and we still cruise together every year.

Have a great retirement trip and many more in your future!

• 5 weeks later...