GTY Room on Maasdam

mr. godfredo

So we have an upcoming cruise on Maasdam leaving July 8th from Montreal. We booked a GTY room and are still waiting for our assignment. I am hoping to get our room assignment soon! We have done GTY rooms before on HAL but never have we been assigned so late. I am not one that is hoping for an unreasonable upgrade or anything, but I would like to know what room we will be in. I keep checking the HAL website everyday in anticipation!

So we have an upcoming cruise on Maasdam leaving July 8th from Montreal. We booked a GTY room and are still waiting for our assignment. I am hoping to get our room assignment soon! We have done GTY rooms before on HAL but never have we been assigned so late. I am not one that is hoping for an unreasonable upgrade or anything, but I would like to know what room we will be in. I keep checking the HAL website everyday in anticipation!

Eliminate the stress next time and don't roll the dice by booking a guarantee. Do the homework, study deck plans and pick the cabin you want... then book it.

And voila.. there you go!

;):)

Eliminate the stress next time and don't roll the dice by booking a guarantee. Do the homework, study deck plans and pick the cabin you want... then book it.

And voila.. there you go!

;):)

No stress, it is actually kind of fun! If I was particular about the cabin I wanted I would have booked it that way. I just was making a comment on how late they are in cabin assignments.

Sometimes the later the better! Happened to us once that we got assigned at the pier, and that was our best upgrade ever - from rock bottom to nice mid-ship OV. We took a guarantee booking for our upcoming cruise, not my fist choice but the categories we wanted were only available as guarantee, 6 months out.

Check the "print luggage tags" on your booking, the cabin assignments show up first there, usually 7-10 days out. Enjoy Maasdam, while you can! We have spent 60+ nights on her, our first HAL ship. And let us know how your room assignment works out, many others are also waiting... :) m--

We are sailing on the Maasdam Saturday to Montreal GTY and just got assigned a cabin yesterday. We've traveled GTY before, but this was the latest for an assignment. I know our cruise was sold out some time ago, so I guess they waited to get upgrades done before assigning our cabin. We did get an off to move to another category for $50pp. We passed. Wasn't worth the change for us. Happy Sailing!

We personally do not like the uncertainty of a guarantee booking. For us there are just way too many variables regarding the assignment, when it does actually happen. For us it's location, location, location; and HAL (or any other line) naturally does not assign the most desirable cabins to guarantee bookings.

That is why guarantee assignments typically come so late in the game. After all other assignments are made, guarantee bookings tend to get whatever is left, which may or may not be to your liking.

After all other assignments are made, guarantee bookings tend to get whatever is left, which may or may not be to your liking.
That's true, but on all 9 of our guarantees we were upgraded, getting a better cabin than we paid for. Our best was on the N.A., guaranteeing an HH and getting a deck 8 V ... 16 steps up the ladder! However, we have not done a GTY since the wholesale re-categorization a few years ago because we do not like the deck 5 mid-ship V/VA with small balconies and right above the lifeboats.

No stress, it is actually kind of fun! If I was particular about the cabin I wanted I would have booked it that way. I just was making a comment on how late they are in cabin assignments.

Good attitude, OP. "Kind of fun" indeed!

We love GUARs and always book them. To be a true HAL GUAR booker you need to look at least 3 times a day, ramping it up to double that once you get closer to sail date!

On 7 day cruises you might be assigned later than the norm of 10 - 7 days out. 5-3 days out is becoming more common. Nevertheless, it is a real toss-up, very hard to predict.

Hope you will return to this thread and let us know when and how you do.

Still no news on the room, but my TA called me today just to check up on me and remind me that HAL is often late in the game with room assignments for GTY and not to worry! I will certainly check back and let you all know the outcome!

We booked a gty for the 15th on the Maasdam. It's our 5th time on her and all the categories I wanted were sold out as this was another last minute trip for us. As long as we have a window, I really don't care. I love to travel in suites, but it's only for a week and the weather will be so nice that you will most likely find me walking the decks. We too are waiting for our assignment.

Still no news on the room, but my TA called me today just to check up on me and remind me that HAL is often late in the game with room assignments for GTY and not to worry! I will certainly check back and let you all know the outcome!

OK.... the true Guarantee Room checkers are now checking in here to see what you got!!! Don't you dare leave us hanging :D m--

Ok, we got our room assignment today. We paid for the cheapest inside GTY cabin and got assigned room 750 a category J large interior stateroom. All in all I got what I expected to get for the money I paid.

Thanks for the report! I'd say you got better than rock bottom as #750 is in a midship location and will have less vibration and less movement than the Ns and Ms. And it's not far from the elevators, rooms above you so you shouldn't have disturbing noise issues. Nice! We spent 35 days in 784, a further walk from the elevators but we too had booked a rock bottom guarantee. Have a grand cruise on a very nice itinerary. m--

Congratulations on the assignment. Going form cheapest inside to a J is actually very good. I agree that this is a good location, too.

Thanks for letting us know and have a wonderful cruise!

I'm hoping for as good a location on our upcoming guarantee booking, as you know, in October, so this is very encouraging to me!! m--

I'm hoping for as good a location on our upcoming guarantee booking, as you know, in October, so this is very encouraging to me!! m--

Maureen

If I may ask, what did you book? When we are on this style of cruise (for the whole, not segment), we usually do very well, so you have a good chance, I bet!

Maureen

If I may ask, what did you book? When we are on this style of cruise (for the whole, not segment), we usually do very well, so you have a good chance, I bet!

We booked an FF OV, so we won't have to deal with a far-forward porthole or an obstructed....

Not sure if this 49 night booking is considered the "whole" cruise or a set of segments because some people are beginning in NY for 53 nights; we are R/T PE/FLL; there are segments just going to Europe and segments just returning form Europe.... so it's hard to say.

I'm just envisioning a comfortable window room in a decent location. The Lanai cabins and the Vista Suites (not much price difference between them) are few on these older ships, and nearly twice the price of the OV so we will enjoy our window. Every room has its advantages, so I will stay positive and trust that your experience will be our experience.

I will be on a Dam ship and not make supper for 49 nights! My motto: It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! I'm sticking to it! :D m--

We booked an FF OV, so we won't have to deal with a far-forward porthole or an obstructed....

Not sure if this 49 night booking is considered the "whole" cruise or a set of segments because some people are beginning in NY for 53 nights; we are R/T PE/FLL; there are segments just going to Europe and segments just returning form Europe.... so it's hard to say.

I'm just envisioning a comfortable window room in a decent location. The Lanai cabins and the Vista Suites (not much price difference between them) are few on these older ships, and nearly twice the price of the OV so we will enjoy our window. Every room has its advantages, so I will stay positive and trust that your experience will be our experience.

I will be on a Dam ship and not make supper for 49 nights! My motto: It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! I'm sticking to it! :D m--

Great attitude!

The NY pax will likely be in the same boat (;)) as you are, with first run at the assignments. The half segment pax will be relegated to the leftover cabins. This seems to be the way it usually works.

With an FF I can see you doing quite well Our HH GUAR got us an EE on an R class ship. I really hope you do get something that is perfect in your estimation.

Great attitude!

The NY pax will likely be in the same boat (;)) as you are, with first run at the assignments. The half segment pax will be relegated to the leftover cabins. This seems to be the way it usually works.

With an FF I can see you doing quite well Our HH GUAR got us an EE on an R class ship. I really hope you do get something that is perfect in your estimation.

I'd be happy with an FF but there weren't any open to book. So lots of choices and many, many good places to put us. Of course there are some risks for cabins I think I would not prefer, but I'm just trusting that we'll be fine. We haven't risked taking a Guarantee on a long cruise like this before,longest was on a 35 day B2B2B in the Caribbean on Maasdam and it worked out fine. Very few rooms are really horrible so the odds are in our favor!! We've been up, down, fore, aft, mid, insides to balconies, short rooms on LP, and sideways. It's all good. The S class ships are pretty compact so distance from elevator isn't an issue. In fact, a couple of our guarantees put us smack in the middle, equidistant from the two elevator shafts! Have to laugh. HH to an EE is very good, I hope you liked the location. It'll be over 3 months before we get assigned but I will post it, so stay tuned! And I always appreciate your encouragement. :) + :ship: m--

I'd be happy with an FF but there weren't any open to book. So lots of choices and many, many good places to put us. Of course there are some risks for cabins I think I would not prefer, but I'm just trusting that we'll be fine. We haven't risked taking a Guarantee on a long cruise like this before,longest was on a 35 day B2B2B in the Caribbean on Maasdam and it worked out fine. Very few rooms are really horrible so the odds are in our favor!! We've been up, down, fore, aft, mid, insides to balconies, short rooms on LP, and sideways. It's all good. The S class ships are pretty compact so distance from elevator isn't an issue. In fact, a couple of our guarantees put us smack in the middle, equidistant from the two elevator shafts! Have to laugh. HH to an EE is very good, I hope you liked the location. It'll be over 3 months before we get assigned but I will post it, so stay tuned! And I always appreciate your encouragement. :) + :ship: m--

Again, I do think you have a good attitude! This is a great cruise. Some great ports. If you have any questions, rentalrichmond at gmail... works for me. Enjoy your planning!!