Ruby Princess Alaska 2017 Observations from Veteran Alaska Cruisers

seattleslew

Noon boarding is pretty normal for Seattle, with BVEs going slightly ahead of that. Since we're elite, I can't tell you how fast the normal line moves. I just love the mood in that big old building as people anxiously await their (usually first) cruise!

And there's one more thing I noticed that I thought was cool if you have accessibility issues in your party: as you enter the pier building, there's a tent on the sidewalk containing scooters and wheelchairs. I'm sure some of them have been pre-rented for the cruise, but maybe (?) some can be rented on the spot. I don't know, but it might be worth a call to Special Needs at Sea to find out. I can imagine a scenario where a family member balks at renting a wheelchair or scooter in advance, but upon arriving and seeing the giant ship towering above you, another family member might just win the argument! Not a bad marketing move for SNaS if they do rent on-the-spot. But do remember that scooters must be narrow enough to fit through stateroom doors; Princess won't let them be charged in the hallways like we used to do.

Oh! And we're huge Salty Dog fans, too. Now that the price has dropped to $12 and features 2 entrees instead of 3, we all win! Yum, those breadsticks and dip! Not to mention the hamburger and mini-donuts. We eat there every cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the answer about the blue bags!

Thank you! that helps!!

Can a man wear a button down shirt, tie and slacks but no jacket on formal nights?? I read you saw everything ...would this be acceptable?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome review and info!! Thanks!

What did you do in Juneau or love to do in Juneau if you don't mind me asking?

For us, we went to Mendenhall Glacier (private excursion did after we got to shore). Best excursion our family has ever done!!!! Though the team looked really fun and I would have enjoyed it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us, we went to Mendenhall Glacier (private excursion did after we got to shore). Best excursion our family has ever done!!!! Though the team looked really fun and I would have enjoyed it as well.

What company did you book with?

What company did you book with?

Didn't book ahead of time. Don't remember who we used. There were several private operators where we were dropped off in a semi circle below the tram entrance (it's where I think all the cruise ships shuttle to). I felt very safe just picking someone since we were in the US. They had buses/shuttles going on a regular schedule, just had to watch the time to make it back.

Oh! And we're huge Salty Dog fans, too. Now that the price has dropped to $12 and features 2 entrees instead of 3, we all win! Yum, those breadsticks and dip! Not to mention the hamburger and mini-donuts. We eat there every cruise.

Sorry but I have to ask....

Since you're talking food choices on the Ruby what's your take on SHARE ??

Btw, great posts on your part, thanks for sharing

Srpilo

Thank you! When I have so many observations it's hard to keep them to myself! Regarding Share, I'm neutral on it because we've never eaten there as I refuse to pay that much for a dining experience and never will while onboard. My personal feeling is it's just not taking off as a concept for the $$$ reason, and also because (and this is weird) it's in a remote location across from Adagio and people simply don't know about it, no matter how much press it's given. When we were embarking this last time, for the zillionth time I again heard people wondering about whether food on board is all free ... remember that 3/4 of Alaska cruisers are first-timers and they have enough to keep them confused without adding a for-pay restaurant into the mix. As we get towards Thurs and Friday, people are just beginning to get comfortable with their first cruise and directions, etc, and then they disembark. When we passed by Share, there would be very few tables occupied, and one night it was mostly officers. I imagine they enjoy it a lot, but IMO, I think the concept will fade away due to disappointing results after the contract with Curtis runs out. And one more observation, if I may: I think a small (or large) sign in the IC would help people understand that all food there is complimentary (except the gelato). There is ALWAYS so much confusion about the IC ... and Alfredo's on other ships.

As 1st time Alaskan cruisers but have been on over 20 others, are there any have to do's on the Ruby?

Also we have our tours lined up in each spot but if tour ends early anything else we should in the 3 spots?

Is it worth getting off form 7-11 in BC?

You mentioned the puppies come on the ship, guessing thats mid day when most are touring?

thanks!

Hmmmm, let me think about must-do's onboard. Puppies come at 3:30pm in the piazza which is on Deck 5. I gave my hints for enjoying the towns in my first post, so maybe re-read that again? As far as Victoria, much will depend on two things, or three: 1. Will there be daylight during your Victoria stop or does it matter to you? 2. How exhausted you are (it's a BUSY week) and 3. Do you want to see a real Canadian city? Lines for Victoria disembarkation can be lengthy so if you have no plans, excursions go first and you might only get 3 hours there because of the lines. I must say it's a beautiful city (with a young vibe) and I find it exciting but am always too exhausted to want to get off. It's Baked Alaska night so not many people are onboard to enjoy it.

Hmmmm, let me think about must-do's onboard. Puppies come at 3:30pm in the piazza which is on Deck 5. I gave my hints for enjoying the towns in my first post, so maybe re-read that again? As far as Victoria, much will depend on two things, or three: 1. Will there be daylight during your Victoria stop or does it matter to you? 2. How exhausted you are (it's a BUSY week) and 3. Do you want to see a real Canadian city? Lines for Victoria disembarkation can be lengthy so if you have no plans, excursions go first and you might only get 3 hours there because of the lines. I must say it's a beautiful city (with a young vibe) and I find it exciting but am always too exhausted to want to get off. It's Baked Alaska night so not many people are onboard to enjoy it.

We are going on the 3rd week of August so not sure of daylight or weather yet

We recently came back from an Alaskan cruise but we were on Celebrity Solstice. The Ruby Princess was with us almost the whole way though, we seemed to be following them. It was the first week of June. (we're doing the Regal Princess for our new england and canada cruise next).

One thing I wanted to mention in Ketchian, there's a teeny hole in the wall restaurant right off the dock called Alvas Fish and Chowder. For the Solstice it was littlerally right across the street from where the dock let us out, but the Ruby was parked farther away so it would be a bit of a walk if the ships are always docked in the same spots (not sure). The food there is SO good. It's just fish & chips and clam chowder, but it was the tastiest I've ever had and I've had fish and chips just about everywhere. I liked how they had a sign outside that said something like "We're not open for breakfast because we're out catching lunch"

There's also a nice little place called Sweet Mermaids in the main strip of stores, they had lots of tasty pastries and I think they were also serving burgers too. It was raining pretty hard in Ketchkan so we didn't go too far from the ship unfortunately. But those 2 spots were great.

We recently came back from an Alaskan cruise but we were on Celebrity Solstice. The Ruby Princess was with us almost the whole way though, we seemed to be following them. It was the first week of June. (we're doing the Regal Princess for our new england and canada cruise next).

One thing I wanted to mention in Ketchian, there's a teeny hole in the wall restaurant right off the dock called Alvas Fish and Chowder. For the Solstice it was littlerally right across the street from where the dock let us out, but the Ruby was parked farther away so it would be a bit of a walk if the ships are always docked in the same spots (not sure). The food there is SO good. It's just fish & chips and clam chowder, but it was the tastiest I've ever had and I've had fish and chips just about everywhere. I liked how they had a sign outside that said something like "We're not open for breakfast because we're out catching lunch"

There's also a nice little place called Sweet Mermaids in the main strip of stores, they had lots of tasty pastries and I think they were also serving burgers too. It was raining pretty hard in Ketchkan so we didn't go too far from the ship unfortunately. But those 2 spots were great.

Thanks! We are going on crab boat for 3 hours right on that dock so that hole in the wall sounds interesting

We cruised to Alaska on Ruby Princess mid September last year. Weather wasn't great, but that wasn't Princess' fault, and it was bearable. I loved the cruise, thought the food variety, both in the MDR and Horizon court was outstanding. I don't know if the menus change much year to year, but if you have the chance to try the lobster bisque, I highly recommend it.

Staff was always helpful and very polite. Excurstions are a personal preference on what to see, but I was impressed with the Mendenhall Glacier.

I am taking my second Princess cruise, and on the Ruby Princess again! Very much looking forward to it.