Furs in Alaska

newyorker123

I'm wondering if anyone has any input into getting a fur coat in Alaska. My stops are Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, and Sitka.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

There was a furrier on one of the main streets (Lincoln) in Sitka. Sitka Fur Gallery. Interesting selection but pushy sales people (limited season, limited buyers, so "pushy" is to be expected,I guess).

In Juneau, many years ago, there used to be one "up the hill" from the docks but I googled and can't see it there now.

I can't help on whether the pricing is advantageous or not.

Although I am a cruiser, I just happend to be working in Sitka for two straight months, and just returned a few days ago. VennD is correct. On Lincoln street, and about a block and a half west of the Russion Orthodox Church, is a fur shop. They have many kinds of fur clothing. Everything from a $99 hat, to full sable and mink coats, boots, etc. I could imagine a woman wearing the boots in Aspen, or the coats in Hollywood. They are that good of quality. When was there, there was a $150,000 sable coat that went out the door. After that, the most expensive coat remaining was about $44,000. But if you want a fur coat, or any other article of clothing, they do have them for much less, also. Like I said, $99 hats. They have gloves, too. But only because everything is real fur, generally speaking, the clothes are fairly expensive.

I have one more thing to add. The owner of the fur shop in Sitka has 3 or 4 shops. Besides the one in downtown Sitka, there is one at Old Sitka Dock. Since very few ships stop at Old Sitka Dock, it is unlikely you will see that one. And I hear that it is smaller than the one downtown. His other shops are in other Southeast Alaska ports. I don't know which ones. But what I am trying to say is this: If you find your fur coat in one port in Southeast Alaska, it is likely to be the same price as in other ports in Southeast Alaska, because the shops are likely owned by the same person. So if you can afford the price, and you want it.... better buy it while you can, as opposed to "shopping for a lower price, elsewhere."

There are at least two in Ketchikan. We are not into fur, but went in just to look at the prices. They had a chinchilla fur vest dyed hot pink for $19,995. The salesman were very nice and not pushing at all, but they knew we were not buying. The shop in not far from the cruise ship, just ask when you get there. They said they are in that location only during cruise season and then they head back to Utah.