Which nights are formal dinners for a 7-day Alaska cruise (RT Seattle) on the Ruby?

ams cruiser

We will be departing on a Saturday from Seattle, and I'm wondering which days will be the formal dinners. I would like have dinner at a specialty restaurant one evening.

I haven't been on a cruise in over a decade! Is the food better in the main dining room on formal nights as compared to non-formal nights?

I know this is really subjective, but I'm wondering how the quality of the food is compared to what it was ten years ago. We thought it was very good at the time.

Also, what time would be good to arrive at the port on embarkation day (no preferential boarding privileges) to be able to have lunch (preferably in the main dining room) on the ship?

We will be departing on a Saturday from Seattle, and I'm wondering which days will be the formal dinners. I would like have dinner at a specialty restaurant one evening.

I haven't been on a cruise in over a decade! Is the food better in the main dining room on formal nights as compared to non-formal nights?

I know this is really subjective, but I'm wondering how the quality of the food is compared to what it was ten years ago. We thought it was very good at the time.

Also, what time would be good to arrive at the port on embarkation day (no preferential boarding privileges) to be able to have lunch (preferably in the main dining room) on the ship?

Unfortunately, no Alfredo's on this ship for a lovely served lunch. Lunch is served only until 1:30 p.m. in the dining room, which I believe is Deck 6 midship. I don't know if Vines is offering any light lunch with your wine.

My guess for your formal nights will be Sunday and Wednesday.

The cruise line tends to choose days for formal nights when you are at sea.

The food in the dining room is awesome. Formal night dining is supposed to be a little better - for example you will get a choice of lobster one formal night. But the dining room food is consistently good (IMHO)

The specialty restaurants serve great food. I try to book a specialty restaurant after I have looked at the dining room menu. If there is nothing really great then I go to a specialty restaurant. That said - the Crown Grill is awesome and priced right.

Also on Ruby you will have

and the
. I have created a YouTube video just click on the links.

I have been cruising for over 10 years on Princess Cruises and yes the food is just as good :)

On embarkation day they do not serve a lunch in the dining room - only buffet.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy

Thanks for all of the quick responses! CaptainMo, the videos are really helpful. I was leaning towards Crown Grill (love lobster and steak) but after seeing your pictures, we might be tempted to try one of the other restaurants as well. The only one I remember trying years ago was Sabatini's on the Sapphire. Incredible food and service, but, probably like all of the specialty restaurants, way too much of a good thing.

I've seen a couple of threads about how the dining room is still open on embarkation day, however, if you ask, crew members will steer try to steer you towards the buffet.

I like the idea of checking out the regular dining room menu first, and then deciding whether or not to reserve a specialty, however, I'm concerned about availability of same-day reservations.

I just learned, thanks to another thread, that we can make reservations at specialty restaurants now through our Princess account, so I was hoping to do so before our cruise.

We will be doing the same itinerary. I vote for Sunday (at sea) and Thursday (Ketchikan) for formal nights. We leave Ketchikan early on Thursday afternoon, so there's plenty of time to get dressed for formal dinner.

We usually arrive at the port around 10:30 a.m. (we drive from SW Washington). Once you get on board, go to your cabin and dump your carryons. There will be a copy of the Patter and it will tell you which venues are open for lunch.

Sabatini's isn't as good as it was 10 years ago, but it is still a special venue. The portions are much more realistic now.

We will be on the May 13 sailing, so if you are on that sailing, we'll see you around.

We will be doing the same itinerary. I vote for Sunday (at sea) and Thursday (Ketchikan) for formal nights. We leave Ketchikan early on Thursday afternoon, so there's plenty of time to get dressed for formal dinner.

We usually arrive at the port around 10:30 a.m. (we drive from SW Washington). Once you get on board, go to your cabin and dump your carryons. There will be a copy of the Patter and it will tell you which venues are open for lunch.

Sabatini's isn't as good as it was 10 years ago, but it is still a special venue. The portions are much more realistic now.

We will be on the May 13 sailing, so if you are on that sailing, we'll see you around.

Sunday and Thursday sound like good bets, so maybe we'll make our Crown Grill reservation for Wednesday. Just wondering if there are any windows in Crown Grill that view the water.

Glad to hear the portions at Sabatini's are more realistic. I don't think we over-ordered, but the food was so rich (and delicious) I felt bad about all the food that went uneaten. I wish there was a progressive speciality venue where diners could graze over several hours. I can eat a lot, just not all on one sitting!

I'll check the Patter once we embark, and hope that they let us on before lunch!

I'm sorry we won't see you aboard, as we don't sail until the end of the July. Will look to see if you post or comment on any reviews after your trip!

• 4 months later...
Has anyone been able to confirm which nights are the formal nights for this trip?

Ask on a Roll Call for a recently completed cruise. Regardless, you'll see it on the Patter waiting in your room, which is the earliest you'd be able to make a specialty dining reservation anyway. I'm assuming it's the Sunday (at sea) and Thursday (early day in Ketchikan - they want to sell more spa stuff for people who want to get ready for formal night, and they can sell more that day than the day prior in Glacier Bay). Or at least that's what I'm banking on as I make our overall plan. :)

Thanks, I will check on roll call. However, you can make dining reservations in advance online. :) This is why I wanted to know.

If you are in traditional dining your reservation has already been made - if you are in anytime dining you have to make reservations each morning

If you are in traditional dining your reservation has already been made - if you are in anytime dining you have to make reservations each morning

You can do the reservations for the special restaurants online in advance. I am less concerned about nightly dining. I did not want to miss the nice meals most cruise lines do for formal nights.

Maybe it is less of an issue with princess?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was on the Ruby's sailing of May 20-27 (last month).

Formal nights were Sunday & Thursday (after the 1:00 pm departure from Ketchikan.

Embarkation lunch was in the DaVinci until 1:30.

Dinner in the MDR were especially good this cruise. My DD & SIL were thrilled with all the sea food.

ENJOY!

You can do the reservations for the special restaurants online in advance. I am less concerned about nightly dining. I did not want to miss the nice meals most cruise lines do for formal nights.

Maybe it is less of an issue with princess?

Looks like the online reservations are somewhat coarse in their choices - 5:30, 7:30, 9:30 were the only time options presented.

I don't recall formal night dinner being anything "up" from any other night. We somewhat enjoy the opportunity to dress up, but I suspect those who don't wish to dress up but do want a sit-down meal will choose to head to a specialty restaurant instead. I suspect that's the biggest driver.

Thank you! Are the formal dinners special, ie worth not doing the special restaurants for?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Depends on what you consider special. The second formal night is when they usually serve escargot (appetizer) and lobster. I don't eat either one. Here are the formal night menus that I have, but they may vary a bit.

First formal night:

Appetizers

Applewood Smoked Duck Breast

cranberry-blackberry relish, baby greens

Stilton Mousse and Waldorf Salad (V)

green apple, celery and roasted walnuts

Crabmeat and Monterey Jack Cheese Quiche

Savory pie crust, charred red pepper salsa

Soups and Salads

French Onion Soup baked with Gruyere cheese, croutons

Creamy Asparagus Soup

recipe from Master Chef Alfredo poached salmon quenelles

Chilled Sweet Corn and Potato Soup

flavored with jalapeno, shredded basil and smoked croutons

Butter Lettuce, Curly Endive, Radicchio, and Arugula Salad choice of homemade and low fat dressings

Signature Pastas

Farfalle alla Rusticabowtie pasta with tender veal, fresh basil, morel mushrooms, cream sauce

Main Courses

Pan-Seared Barramundi

leeks, green asparagus, potato batons, grain mustard sauce

Shrimp “Daniele”

broiled tiger shrimp, Café de Paris butter broccoli, vegetable fried rice

Roasted Cornish Game Hen potato & mushroom ragout, pea pods, pan jus

Grilled Medallions of Beef Tenderloin carrots, roasted squash, almond croquettes truffle demi-glace

Rosemary Rubbed Roast Leg of Lamb string beans, Provençale tomato, chateau potatoes, mint jelly

Spinach & Potato Flan with Spicy Tomato Sauce (V)

asparagus spears, zucchini batons, cherry tomatoes and roast potatoes

Second formal night:

Appetizers

Tian of Crab, Scallop, Shrimp

duo of caviar and papaya dressing

Rice Paper Wraps (V)

tofu, crunchy vegetables, ginger and chili dip

Escargots Bourguignon

glazed with shallot, parsley and garlic butter

Soups and Salads

Chicken and Vegetable Petite Marmite

double chicken broth with carrots, celery, turnip and zucchini

Roasted Tomato Cream Soup (V)

brioche croutons and basil pesto swirl

Chilled Yogurt Apple Soup (V)

chilled goat cheese, honey and yogurt cream with crispy grapes

Belgian Endive, Boston Lettuce and Tomato (V)

choice of homemade and low-fat dressings

Signature Pastas

Ravioli di Vitello in Salsa di Fungi Porcini

veal ravioli in creamy porcini mushroom sauce

Main Courses

Pan Fried Filet of Rockfish

served over creamy potato and leek ragout, truffle oil

Broiled Lobster Tail and King Prawns

grilled asparagus, rice pilaf, lemon butter

Roasted Farm-Raised Pheasant

caramelized shallots green bean & bacon bundle butter-roasted potatoes, thyme jus

Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs

sautéed vegetables, whipped potatoes

Filet of Beef Wellington

spinach flan, duchesse potatoes, truffle-madeira demi-glace

Rollatine Ripiene con Zucca, Mascarpone e Noci (V) baked crepes filled with roasted pumpkin, mascarpone and walnuts, thyme-cream sauce

Just off of the Ruby a couple of weeks ago. The formal nights were: Sunday sea day after sailing and on Thursday sea day on way to Victoria.

• 2 weeks later...