Sel de Mer

We recently booked two Sel de Mer reservations on upcoming cruises on the Westerdam and the Oosterdam. These reservations were for the ala carte menu, and did not require any credit card payments upfront to book day and specific time. Now I see that the Sel De Mer is $49 per person. I have no problem with paying for this, just wondering if anyone else experienced this change and also am wondering if my reservations (with no money) will be honored. I assumed I will be billed once onboard. I contacted HAL and the person I talked to was not aware of the change. I will try asking HAL again, but thought I would ask my question here as well.

Here is what is says on the website now:

After being acclaimed as best restaurant at sea on board Koningsdam, Rudi’s Sel de Mer makes its debut as an exclusive one night experience on board select ships. Inspired by the iconic Cote d’Azur, where the Mediterranean Sea influences everything: the food, the wine, the architecture and the way of life, the Pinnacle Grill is transformed into an intimate seafood brasserie offering a contemporary twist on timeless French classics — including fruits de mer, salt-crusted whole fish, scallops and bouillabaisse. Reservations are recommended. $49 per person.

Just looked at our October cruise. The night that previously had Sel de Mer is now only showing Canaletto no PG or special dinner. Perhaps they decided to make it price fixed (probably with a few extra price items) to keep it more like Le Cirque

The $49 price is a little odd to me. The quote above mentions "Fruits De Mer" which is currently an appetizer in the Sel de Mer on the K and is priced at $49 a la carte. That is for one item. I am trying to wrap my head around the pricing discrepancy. One thing is for sure, if it is the "full" Sel de Mer experience for $49, then that is an excellent deal.

The $49 price is a little odd to me. The quote above mentions "Fruits De Mer" which is currently an appetizer in the Sel de Mer on the K and is priced at $49 a la carte. That is for one item. I am trying to wrap my head around the pricing discrepancy. One thing is for sure, if it is the "full" Sel de Mer experience for $49, then that is an excellent deal.

I agree that it sounds like a deal. I posted on another post that we split the Fruits De Mar between the two of us for dinner (along with the oxtail soup) and it was quite a feast.

I'm wondering if the fixed price means that it will be a pared-down version of the a la carte version on Koningsdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is that $49 per person just for ships that don't have a dedicated Sel de Mer? My cruise on the Koningsdam still shows a'la carte pricing for the Sel de Mer. We had a'la carte pricing in October on the Koningsdam.

Full Circle of Confusion.

I reserved and paid for LeCirque. Noticed online LeCirque was no longer an option, but Sel de Mer would be offered. They refunded my money, reserved the same time at the new option and told me ala carte pricing. Now back to the same fixed price as before; different menu.

Is that $49 per person just for ships that don't have a dedicated Sel de Mer? My cruise on the Koningsdam still shows a'la carte pricing for the Sel de Mer. We had a'la carte pricing in October on the Koningsdam.

Koningsdam is the only ship with a dedicated Sel de Mer...and currently it is a la carte.

Koningsdam is the only ship that has Sel de Mer as a stand alone dining area. Until Nieuw Statendam comes along.

Just looked at our October cruise. The night that previously had Sel de Mer is now only showing Canaletto no PG or special dinner. Perhaps they decided to make it price fixed (probably with a few extra price items) to keep it more like Le Cirque

I have Sel de Mer booked for Apr 5th. Just checked because of this thread and got same response as Frank. Only shows Canaletto or Tamarind. Nothing about Sel de Mer or Le Cirque

This is sounding like a typical HAL mess -- different versions on different ships.

No set rules.

Different ships, different facilities. Makes sense to me. And this is really only a difference in the details; not the fundamentals.

I noticed that the Noordam for our June cruise offered the Sel de MER, but looking yesterday they are only offering the Canaletto and the Pinnacle Grill now.

I am also on this cruise and my reservation is still on my itinerary. Must be sold out now.

For our upcoming March 18th Eurodam cruise, we had booked Sel de Mer for 3/23, but I just logged in, and le Cirque is instead showing for that night.

Sel de Mer was the only specialty restaurant we reserved, because we like the idea of only paying for what we order.

I guess we'll see what happens.

For our upcoming March 18th Eurodam cruise, we had booked Sel de Mer for 3/23, but I just logged in, and le Cirque is instead showing for that night.

Sel de Mer was the only specialty restaurant we reserved, because we like the idea of only paying for what we order.

I guess we'll see what happens.

If you have time, once you return from your trip, would you post what happened? Just curious if you got to eat at Sel de Mer or Le Cirque.

Have a great cruise.

I can't even get in to see what they have done to the night now. No credential error.

I'd booked and paid for Le Cirque. I noticed online it was no longer offered though it still showed my reservation. After phoning I learned it was now SdM at ala carte pricing. They refunded my money and kept the reservation time. Now it is reading here as though its back to LeCirque and since I didn't pay, I had no idea if my birthday reservation remains intact.

I called yesterday because I have it for Apr 5th on Eurodam and it now shows only Tamarind and Canaletto. Reservations told me my reservation for Sel de Mer is still confirmed. However, they also told me Americas Test Kitchen has been on Eurodam sin Jan 17th which is not true

Hope someone on Eurodam now can tell us what is happening.

A bunch more info including menu is available at http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2017/03/13/rudis-sel-de-mer-french-brasserie-to-launch-as-a-pop-up-restaurant-on-six-hal-ships/.

It'll be on six ships. Menu looks fantastic.

It's a great spot, everyone should try it out.

Sel de Mer is awesome and this is great info.

I can't wrap my head around the set price of $49, unless the portions are pared-down from Koningsdam. The Fruits de Mer alone is $49 on the Koningsdam menu.

Sel de Mer is awesome and this is great info.

I can't wrap my head around the set price of $49, unless the portions are pared-down from Koningsdam. The Fruits de Mer alone is $49 on the Koningsdam menu.

And I just booked Sel de Mer on our upcoming Eurodam cruise, and it said that the prices were " a la carte", and there was no upfront charge, so I guess things are still being worked out?

And I just booked Sel de Mer on our upcoming Eurodam cruise, and it said that the prices were " a la carte", and there was no upfront charge, so I guess things are still being worked out?

Yes that was true for me too, although now one cruise the Sel De Mer is full, and the other, it says it has a price. Please if you have time after your cruise, report back.

Thanks!