Must-do's in Key West! - What's not to be missed?

AnastasiaBeaverhousen

Hi! We'll be coming off a cruise out of POM on a Sunday and planning to drive down to Key West as soon as we disembark. We'll stay one night and then we have to get back to Miami for about 6:00 PM on Monday (unfortunately this is non-negotiable as we'll be taking in a Dolphins game that night). So we will have about... 30ish hours in Key West. We realize it's not a lot of time but we're good with the drive.

With our limited time, what are some absolute must-do's in your opinion? We've never been before and will be coming in December if that makes a difference. We're up for anything, looking forward to anything local (especially seafood) and of course, PIE!!

Many would say take in the unique sunset celebration at the Mallory Square right by the water. It is rather circus-like and so popular that it regularly draws large crowds to the festive nightly event.

For myself, I am not given to such entertainment and much prefer the sunset cruises. We especially like the red-sailed ship Jolly II Rover, but there are others.

Another place we like to enjoy Key West's fabulous sunsets is at the quieter Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.

Definitely take a walk along the Historic Schooner Wharf docks. This is a very picturesque area, good for nice photo ops.

Walk up and down Duval, Key West's main drag. This is a real experience, being home to a wide variety of shops, saloons, and eateries catering to every taste. The iconic Sloppy Joe's is here.

For other sites to tour, many enjoy the Hemingway House where Ernest Hemingway lived for awhile, the Treasure Museum, the Truman Winter White House and the Butterfly Conservatory.

In your limited time you probably won't be able to do all of these things. I do hope you like Key West as much as we do and I hope you can return sometime again when you have more time.

Many would say take in the unique sunset celebration at the Mallory Square right by the water. It is rather circus-like and so popular that it regularly draws large crowds to the festive nightly event.

For myself, I am not given to such entertainment and much prefer the sunset cruises. We especially like the red-sailed ship Jolly II Rover, but there are others.

Another place we like to enjoy Key West's fabulous sunsets is at the quieter Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.

Definitely take a walk along the Historic Schooner Wharf docks. This is a very picturesque area, good for nice photo ops.

Walk up and down Duval, Key West's main drag. This is a real experience, being home to a wide variety of shops, saloons, and eateries catering to every taste. The iconic Sloppy Joe's is here.

For other sites to tour, many enjoy the Hemingway House where Ernest Hemingway lived for awhile, the Treasure Museum, the Truman Winter White House and the Butterfly Conservatory.

In your limited time you probably won't be able to do all of these things. I do hope you like Key West as much as we do and I hope you can return sometime again when you have more time.

Thank you very, very much! Your detailed post inspired me to rearrange some travel plans so we'll come down to Key West later in the week and stay for a few days. Thanks again!

Other ideas:

On the way to/from Key West, spend some time exploring the Homestead/Redlands area. Check out the Redland Riot Tour (self-guided) and stop along the way at a number of places that interest you.

http://www.redlandriot.com/Rallye.html

Our favorite stops are:

Robert is Here (milkshakes and fruit stand)

RF Orchids (orchid farm)

Fruit & Spice Park (take the tram tour)

Knaus Berry Farm (bakery - open seasonally)

Schnebly's Winery (wines made of tropical fruit and brewery)

In Marathon, stop at the Turtle Hospital. They have a 90-minute tour of the hospital and the sanctuary where turtles are rehabilitated and released back into the water or see the "resident" turtles.

http://www.turtlehospital.org/

In Key West:

Nancy's Secret Garden (a parrot sanctuary):

http://nancyforrester.com/

Sherrif's Office Animal Farm

http://www.keysso.net/miscellaneous/animal_park.htm

Then after dinner, wherever you choose to go, save room for dessert and visit Better than Sex:

http://www.betterthansexkeywest.com/

Edited by brunello22

• 3 weeks later...

We enjoy walking around the town early in the morning when it is quiet.

So many places to walk around including the residential area and the area near the water.

I recommend the Hemingway House and a tour of The Little White House which Truman used.

dsc00295_orig.jpg

Inside Hemingway House.

DSC_4833.jpg

Residential Area.

DSC_4829.jpg

If you are driving from Miami to Key West I would suggest downloading Gypsy tours guide on your phone, I have been researching it and have used their guides in Hawaii and loved them ...like having your own personal tourguide in your car, uses no data, and points out history and stories that make the drive fun.