Pregnant and cruising

anyone else traveling while pregnant to the Caribbean and staying on ship so not to catch Zika?

Am I the only one? We know we cannot go to ports and hope Fantasy will be enough for our family of four???

Just a note - staying onboard the ship may or may not be sufficient. Mosquitoes fly. But, generally, mosquitoes are scarce in the port area, and more abundant further inland.

A good insect repellent is worth it's weight in gold, in this situation.

I don't mean to be the buzz kill of rhe group, but when is your cruise? Zika is very serious and you really have to be sure the trip is worth the risk. My family and I were supposed to leave tomorrow on the Magic but I cancelled as soon as I found out I was pregnant. There were so many great stops I just couldn't sit Onboard and watch them pass by. Just going to the islands and leaving from Puerto Rico was a risk I wasn't willing to take. Those places aren't going anywhere. I'll go back when I'm done having babies.

We went to WDW in December and when I told my OB he sent me for a special ultrasound. I know I didn't get bit but it was a precaution.

If you do decide to go use lots of precautions. I wouldn't spray deet directly on your skin, but rather on your clothes. Be really well covered with long pants and long sleeves. I doubt you'd get bit on board but who knows.

If you do go I'd be interested in hearing back if you saw a lot of mosquitos buzzing about. I may have been overly panicky but cancelling but for us it was the right move.

I don't mean to be the buzz kill of rhe group, but when is your cruise? Zika is very serious and you really have to be sure the trip is worth the risk. My family and I were supposed to leave tomorrow on the Magic but I cancelled as soon as I found out I was pregnant. There were so many great stops I just couldn't sit Onboard and watch them pass by. Just going to the islands and leaving from Puerto Rico was a risk I wasn't willing to take. Those places aren't going anywhere. I'll go back when I'm done having babies.

We went to WDW in December and when I told my OB he sent me for a special ultrasound. I know I didn't get bit but it was a precaution.

If you do decide to go use lots of precautions. I wouldn't spray deet directly on your skin, but rather on your clothes. Be really well covered with long pants and long sleeves. I doubt you'd get bit on board but who knows.

If you do go I'd be interested in hearing back if you saw a lot of mosquitos buzzing about. I may have been overly panicky but cancelling but for us it was the right move.

You made a great choice! No, I've never experienced many bugs of any sort on the islands and virtually none on board, but part of mom's job is to put her child before herself. As you said, the day will come when you can make the trip...and I applaud you for your decision.

• 1 month later...

Our daughter who was 12 weeks pregnant did not get off at any ports. The only port we saw mosquitoes was in Tortola. Disney had huge containers of the best repellent you can get right as you get off the ship for those that want it. I do not believe there was anyway for them to get on board. She stayed inside just in case though.

Yes it is sexually transmitted and her husband did stay on ship. I believe that I can speak for them they loved the cruise and did not mind missing the ports as Disney still offers much to do when in port.

Actually it's kind of nice having the ship not so crowded.

I agree, the Disney ships offer a lot to do. My one cruise with them was awesome. It is nice sometimes to be on the ship when it is at a port and be able to do things with less crowds.

i would have done the same as you...zika is extremely dangerous to an unborn child...i wouldn't be able to enjoy a cruise under those circumstances...

We just came back from Caribbean. Daughter was pregnant. Never saw a single mosquito. We also went to the rain forest is for Puerto Rico. Guide told us don't need bug spray in rain forest . Didn't have the spray at any of the ports either. Yes, these mosquitoes only breed in stagnant water you will not find them by the ocean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums