A note on luggage tags...

As I was finally able to print my luggage tags today, I figured I'd share a thought on the subject...

Now that most cruise lines no longer supply luggage tags...and want everyone to print their own...and attach them by some convoluted "fold and staple" method that most don't trust as realistic (fear of tearing off, fear of getting wet and disintegrating, not wanting to travel with a stapler, etc.), the common advice on most threads on the subject has been to purchase those plastic luggage tag holders that can be found around the net...

I have actually done that for a while...and am now actually on my second set...

So, I have two additional notes for those doing that:

1) I have seen them (and purchased them) with two distinct styles of attachment-- a metal cable with screw fastener...or a soft plastic band. I highly recommend the metal type. The plastic band can be difficult to attach to your luggage handle...and...it has a greater chance of breaking.

2) They also come in two different sizes--a narrow one made to fit Royal Caribbean and Celebrity luggage tags...and a wider version made to fit Princess, HAL, et al. Here, I strongly suggest buying the wider Princess size--since that size can easily accommodate the narrower tags, but the RCCL/X size will not accommodate the wider tags. Since I cruise several different lines, I have the wider ones--and they look just fine with my RCCL tags. But, when buying yours, assume that at some time in the future, no matter how "loyal" you might be, there may be an occasion when you end up on another line...

2) They also come in two different sizes--a narrow one made to fit Royal Caribbean and Celebrity luggage tags...and a wider version made to fit Princess, HAL, et al. Here, I strongly suggest buying the wider Princess size--since that size can easily accommodate the narrower tags, but the RCCL/X size will not accommodate the wider tags. Since I cruise several different lines, I have the wider ones--and they look just fine with my RCCL tags. But, when buying yours, assume that at some time in the future, no matter how "loyal" you might be, there may be an occasion when you end up on another line...
Thanks. I would never have known this detail.

I also use them when leaving the ship - the departure # tags fit in nicely.

Not only do they fit nicely, they are less likely to be torn off, which has happened to us a couple of times in the past.

when you mean luggage tags are talking about the ones we always had with our names and address on them, or some thing just the ship?

The luggage tags that you put on your bags at the start of the cruise so your bags get delivered to your stateroom.

They don't have names on them anymore, just stateroom number, ship quadrant, and C&A level. I doubt the C&A level has any effect.

Print, fold, staple, DONE. Let's not over engineer this. Fam of 4 usually travel with 5 or 6 tagged bags, NEVER had a tag come off or lost a bag between the dock and our cabins. (Probably next cruise now 😎)

24 cruises. Classes; Quantum, Oasis, Freedom, Voyager, Radiance, Vision. Newest: Harmony OTS. Oldest: Grandeur OTS.

when you mean luggage tags are talking about the ones we always had with our names and address on them, or some thing just the ship?

Woof,

I see you are a cruise "newbie"...heading out on your first cruise in a little less than a month, so, allow me to explain:

Traditionally (in the old days), cruise lines would send you a package a few weeks before your cruise with "cruise docs" in it--your cruise contract, boarding pass, itinerary, specifics on your cruise, etc. The package also contained a sheet of adhesive-backed luggage tags--which you would be instructed to wrap around the handle of your suitcases before leaving them with the porters at the pier.

But, nowadays, all of these cruise documents are, instead, just made available to you electronically...and so are the luggage tags...

BTW, by now, you should have logged on to the RCCL website and, after inputting your booking number, name and cruise date/ship, you would have gone through a series of forms to input various bits of information: Full names, address, flight info, next of kin, passport numbers, etc. Then you need to print out a document called "Set Sail Pass"--this is the boarding pass you need to bring with you to the pier.

About seven weeks prior to sailing, another link appears on your online check-in page...this one for the luggage tags. Nowadays, you are expected to print these on your own--and attach them to your luggage either by folding and stapling...or by some other method--like the tag holders we are talking about here...or just by scotch tape. The info on these tags include your cabin number, deck, ship quadrant and cruise date...There is a space to write in your name...or, if you know how to do this with Adobe Acrobat, you can add your name before printing. This info is to allow the crew to efficiently get your luggage from where you checked it in to your cabin. Think about it--they have 2,000 to 6,000 passengers on your ship (depending on which ship)...and each has 1-2 pieces of luggage that needs to be sorted, sent to the correct deck and delivered to your room.

It's actually okay if you don't do this--but, in that case, there is just more to do when you arrive at the pier...The porters do have blank tags there that they can fill out with the information...but, it's just another step you can avoid and another chance for something to go amiss...

Good luck...and enjoy your first cruise...

Complete non-issue.

Probably 18 of my trips I have printed my own luggage tags.Never had any problems what-so-ever.

No need to go buy something..

Agree..In our 20+ cruises, we've never had a problem...and the hotel reception desk lets us borrow their stapler! Apply clear tape over them to keep them from ripping off for those who are worried about that.

Agree..In our 20+ cruises, we've never had a problem...and the hotel reception desk lets us borrow their stapler! Apply clear tape over them to keep them from ripping off for those who are worried about that.

Hey...use whatever method you are comfortable with...it's no big deal...

But, for ME, the plastic holder things are dirt cheap, easy to use...and I don't have to travel with staplers or tape or look for a hotel clerk to lend me theirs. They weigh next to nothing and I put the tags in them way ahead of time and slip them into my carry-on. It's actually easier than stapling and taping. And, again...they are CHEAP...

...1) I have seen them (and purchased them) with two distinct styles of attachment-- a metal cable with screw fastener...

Agree. We've been using this type for a few years. Easy on and easy off. Preload them at home and install them on our luggage at the hotel prior to leaving for the ship. Bought ours on Amazon.

Hey...use whatever method you are comfortable with...it's no big deal...

But, for ME, the plastic holder things are dirt cheap, easy to use...and I don't have to travel with staplers or tape or look for a hotel clerk to lend me theirs. They weigh next to nothing and I put the tags in them way ahead of time and slip them into my carry-on. It's actually easier than stapling and taping. And, again...they are CHEAP...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We print them out fold and cover with packing tape il hole punch them at home and bring a few zip ties to attach to the luggage. So easy. :)

That is what I do and it works very well ...... but if the price is right I might buy and use the plastic tags ..... where do I buy them, anyone got the link ? If yes please provide it .

Thanks

That is what I do and it works very well ...... but if the price is right I might buy and use the plastic tags ..... where do I buy them, anyone got the link ? If yes please provide it .

Thanks

I bought ours on Amazon.

Thanks

I got mine last month from the Cruise Critic store. They had a special - 4 free with any order. I ordered 1 and got 4 free. Shipping and all, I paid under $6 for 5 tags.