Ruby Princess Alaska 2017 Observations from Veteran Alaska Cruisers

seattleslew

I don't know about you, but when I get onboard I notice new things (and old things) and think to myself: "I should tell that to Cruise Critic", so here I am just off the May 20th Ruby after our 14th cruise to Alaska and ready to post the notes I took during this great trip. These are in no particular order and are my opinion only. YMMV. Hope they're understandable and if you've got questions, I kept the Patters.

1. Perfect weather; Seattle was magnificent on both Saturdays showing its best face for the pax. We even had a sailaway party at 4:15 as we got farther out into Elliott Bay (the neighbors nearby on Magnolia Bluff won't let us play music at the pier so you have to wait a bit). I don't think we had one last year. The perfect weather lasted just about the entire cruise, with just a little bumpiness (enough for wrist bands) in the first 24 hours to prove we're on a ship. Juneau (where we almost always have great weather in May) proved disappointingly gray and drippy (some real rain, too), but it was relatively warm. After that, we could have been in the Caribbean until the end of the trip. Such beautiful sun and Glacier Bay was incredible! So happy for all those who traveled so far for their bucket-list cruise.

2. As always, almost 75% of AK cruisers are 1st time cruisers. Nice mix of people; not too many walkers or scooters on this trip (not complaining ---- we use a scooter in our family); not many kids at all. The Chinese have discovered Alaska: the cruise following ours is a Chinese charter for Amway achievers! Chinese signs were going up around the ship and the crew were getting their instructions. Needless to say, they were nervous about the language difference.

3. Lanyards were nearly sold out by the second day.

4. Happy Hour can sometimes be held in Adagio as well as Wheelhouse. It was shortened to 4-5 each day, with 3-5 on Friday.

5. Time change: Sunday night 1 hour back (yay!) and Thursday night (forward --- yawn!) As I understand it, the crew follows the same changes.

6. Ship's temperature is always perfect. That's why you see sleeveless dresses on formal nights. I like wearing a long-sleeved tee and am comfortable in flip-flops.

7. Drop a dollar bill on your bar steward's tray or hand it to your bartender with your cruise card and you'll benefit! I've done this for years and am convinced I get a better pour and faster, more attentive service (if that's possible). Besides, what's a dollar to me for these hardworking folks? I noticed the Happy Hour tips went into a can by the register this cruise ... maybe I haven't noticed it before; I thought they got to pocket it themselves. Even my thank you envelopes were immediately stuffed into the can on Friday. And no, we didn't win the wine raffle again this time.

8. Formal was a huge mix: one white jacket (at least), a few tuxes, a kilt, lots of everything in between and some "formal wear" you wouldn't or shouldn't get away with anywhere but casual Alaska. There's no fighting it. It's going to be informal on formal night.

9. Tender drills were held in Skagway so say goodbye to your mid-day nap on the starboard side. Berthed there on the graffiti wall (love it!). We were the farthest berth away in Ketchikan. Coral, Niew Amsterdam and Eurodam were frequent berth mates.

10. The luxury beds are all onboard now and they're wonderful, but the required four sheets must practically kill the poor room stewards. I had the bunk and let me tell you: I don't know how he makes it so tight. (It's quite comfortable, if you need to know.) Also the ladder rungs are killer, so take your flip-flops to bed up there. Huge pillows.

11. A lot of trivia was held every day (maybe an average of 4/day?)

12. Zumba at 9 on Sun, Mon and Fri.

13. Fox News was on TV on this sailing.

14. No blue bags.

15. Stanley the Bear is $24.95 and is larger than I imagined. He should be smaller and $12.95 and they'd sell the heck out of him. Plaid hat and scarf for Alaska.

16. Order your mochas extra hot and you'll have a better drink. You'll have a shorter line for your mochas and capps at Calypso Bar (machine is around the corner where you can't see it).

17. Art shows were everywhere, all the time, it seemed. Fewer events in Explorers because of the clutter in there.

18. Plaza 324 (the stateroom backing to the IC) was uninhabitable due to banging from the kitchen all night every night. P320 (handicap) is also noisy from the art being removed and replaced at all hours of the day and night.

19. Did you know Loyalty Credit is for the stateroom, not the passenger? One per household.

20. I didn't notice Shrimp Daniele (boo hoo) but I may have missed it on Salty Dog night. It might be changed out for the seasonal Alaska menus. I think Princess fish entrees are all wonderful.

21. Alaska Fish House Fish Tacos were featured on Ketchikan Thursday ONLY at Trident Grill. Reindeer Chili is always good.

22. The MDR for embarkation lunch had maybe 30 tables filled? Most we've ever seen ... word must be getting out. DaVinci, Deck 6 mid.

23. Taku Fisheries (the bright green building you'll pass when you berth in Juneau) is a favorite find for us. Cut through the fish bins on your right and go up the metal grate steps and step inside their office door. If the fish are in, you'll be able to see the workers carving and slicing up the salmon or halibut through the plate-glass office window. The office workers seem to enjoy showing off their business. Maybe they won't ... after this hint! Also, another hint that the fish might be in the processing stage: dozens of bald eagles perched above their building on the hillside trees (look for white dots). They get the leavings!

24. I didn't go, but I heard the Princess Whale Watching excursion had an incredible adventure with pods of both Orcas and Humps at nearly the same time. My source told me the guides were giddy with excitement.

25. It began to get rocky again at 5pm Ketchikan day.

26. If you want to see Marjerie Glacier, adjust your local clocks for 9:15am Alaska time and tune into the Ruby webcam. Should be just about the right time ... for an hour ... while the ship spins in Glacier Bay.

27. The naturalist Michael Modzelewski does a good job, although I'm not sure everything he says is 100%. He does drive me crazy when he says "Ladies and Gents" over and over. I heard lots of compliments about him. Libby Riddles comes onboard on Juneau night for a few hours and sled dog puppies come to the Piazza at 3:00 on Tuesday, right about the time we need our puppy fix.

28. Weather was so good people swam a lot, although hot tubs are still (and always) too cool to much enjoy, although they're still used, even in gloomy weather.

29. Most Traveled Passenger: 702 days. We made it again as we always do for Alaska because there are so few elites onboard (this cruise: 72). Evening reception with Commodore Romano and his wife. Do you know what a commodore is? I didn't! He's the most senior of all Princess Cruise Captains and is therefore a commodore. Wow, we were impressed. I told him that the white house halfway up the left hillside as you berth in Seattle (always facing Ballard and Fisherman's Terminal) is the old Commodore's home from WWII, when Pier 91 was used for the Navy. You can tell!

30. We were honored to sit with handsome Ricardo Capraro, Hotel GM who is onboard with his wife and two little kids. Peter Tredgett was everywhere and did a great job. Generoso Mazzone couldn't come because he was busy with dinner. Lisa Ball, the Entertainment Director, had tons of activities ... so many that the Patter had to be printed in smaller print.

31. This cruise felt different for some reason: never felt crowded at all, even by the photos. I don't know where the pax were, but even the corner clogs by the shops were manageable. Piazza often had available seating.

I hope you've enjoyed this little snippet about life onboard Ruby. It was ANOTHER great cruise aboard a lovely ship, so much so that when we learned of a flash sale while onboard, we ran down to the FC desk and booked another one in two weeks (at a terrific price we couldn't refuse).

Questions? Ask away before I leave for our next cruise!

You're so lucky to live in Seattle and to be able to just hop on anytime. I'd do the same if I could, but alas I live in Ohio.

We were on the Ruby the week before you. We did get a blue bag that we gave back. Don't need any more of them.

The Commodore replaced our Captain mid cruise. Never heard why the switch out.

That was great!!!! We are going the first week of August. I'm so used to Carnival and caribbean cruises, that I'm starting to feel like a fish out of water where Alaska is concerned, and Princess, too! Looking forward to a new experience!!

I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind humoring me :)

1) Did anyone in your cabin have a chance to notice if the hair dryer was decent? (Marriott level, versus Motel 6 hold-the-button-while-you-dry-your-hair level?)

2) You mentioned for formal night there were sleeveless dresses. But other nights, were women still looking "summery"? Again, coming from Florida, I keep picturing everyone walking around the ship in turtlenecks even though it's summer. If you could give any insight on that, I'd much appreciate it!

3) what are blue bags that there were none of?

I guess I had less questions than I thought :)

Thank you!

1) Did anyone in your cabin have a chance to notice if the hair dryer was decent? (Marriott level, versus Motel 6 hold-the-button-while-you-dry-your-hair level?)

I can answer that one;p

The hair dryers are closer to Motel 6 than Marriott. You don't have to hold the button, but if you have thick hair, bring your own.

I can answer that one;p

The hair dryers are closer to Motel 6 than Marriott. You don't have to hold the button, but if you have thick hair, bring your own.

Thank you!!! That definitely helps! Too many times I cram it in, then don't need it. But when I count on one, I wish I'd brought it!

Appreciate the help!

Great review. We were on the Ruby the week before you (May 13-20) and had about the same experience. We did get a blue bag, but we had been upgraded to CC, so that may be why. We managed to make the cut for "most traveled" party (top 40 cruisers), which was really a lot of fun.

One surprise was that the last dinner was open seating for all (makes sense since we arrived in Victoria during dinner). Since we did traditional dining, it meant we didn't get to say "good bye" to our new friends.

That was great!!!! We are going the first week of August. I'm so used to Carnival and caribbean cruises, that I'm starting to feel like a fish out of water where Alaska is concerned, and Princess, too! Looking forward to a new experience!!

I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind humoring me :)

2) You mentioned for formal night there were sleeveless dresses. But other nights, were women still looking "summery"? Again, coming from Florida, I keep picturing everyone walking around the ship in turtlenecks even though it's summer. If you could give any insight on that, I'd much appreciate it!

3) what are blue bags that there were none of?

I guess I had less questions than I thought :)

Thank you!

Bibble - My dinner dress on casual nights was usually a light, long-sleeved blouse and trousers or a long-sleeved dress. I find that my arms get cold otherwise, but a turtleneck is definitely too warm. The ship is usually kept in the high 60's to low 70's, but it can get cold out on the decks, especially when we're doing 20 knots, or quite warm in a full public room. Layers work best for both the ship and tours.

Thank you so much for the review!! We sail in less than 2 weeks and I hope the whales are still about. Our group is doing a Harv and Marv and everyone but DH and I and SIL and her husband are first time Alaska. Some, first time cruisers. Would love to have a great whale outing for the group.

Maybe we will be on the same cruise :)

Thank you for the review. Looks like you had a great cruise. We will be sailing the Ruby for the first time to the Mexican Riviera. First time on Ruby, not to the Mexican Riviera. Can't wait to see what this ship looks like. :):):)

Kristy, we're pretty laid back because of accessibility issues with my daughter's scooter, so she either stays onboard and we wander around (always dropping by Taku Fisheries because it fascinates me), or take the tram if the weather is good enough. Also, Mendenhall Glacier is just a city bus ride away if you don't want to take an official excursion. Their Visitors' Center is very nice. We also love to walk out to see the statue of Patsy Ann on the dock --- it's such a great story. I also enjoy the memorials you'll find along the waterfront. We do not, however, do any jewelry shopping, but plenty of folks do.

More thoughts about Ruby to Alaska:

1. Fleece-lined, waterproof jackets up to 5X are very cheap in all three cities. You'd be hard-pressed to find one over $30 and most are $19.99, a bargain in my book. If you happen to get stuck in town and are too cold, buying one of these is a no-brainer! Taxes are high, though.

2. Daylight right now is wonderfully long, especially in Juneau, as opposed to September when the days are soooo much shorter. Then again, in September all shops offer huge sales! Someone told me once that Alaska's autumn begins on July 5th! I don't quite believe that, but it's Alaska!

3. Since the days are so long now, walk around the promenade after dinner and when you go up the stairs to Level 8, you might be able to see into the mysterious "crew bar" all the way forward. Also their gym. You can smell the cigarette smoke from the very bow of the ship on 8! :o

4. We always get to Pier 91 by 10:30, but we've never gotten on before noon or sometimes 11:45. Embarkation lunch in DaVinci Deck 6 mid is from 12-1:30 and is our favorite tradition and official kickoff! The city of Seattle charges a port tax on each drink you have before sailaway, which you'll notice on your folio.

5. IMO, Princess does a good job with their Calypso Cove Boutique (gift shop). Fashions are fairly priced and most are pretty nice. Just the right amount of drugs and sundries, too, at fair prices. I've always thought the suntan lotion pricing on the Mexico cruises is very fair. You might want to wait 'til Alaska to buy your tee ---- the prices in towns are so cheap, but I did notice a sale on Alaska tees onboard on Thurs or Friday (was it 2 for $20?) The ship $10 sales are always swamped, so go much much later and avoid the rush and horrendous line. Good heavens, there's plenty of stock and it's not going anywhere.

6. No donuts in MDR. If you want your donut, be at the IC before 10:30. I've found that most new pax do not realize the food in the beautiful bakery cases on Piazza Deck 5 are free. Princess should have a sign there saying so.

7. Afternoon Tea 3:30-4:15 in DaVinci is a calm respite from the chaos ---- it's not advertised in the Patter except in the "Dining Guide", so it's under-utilized and most people don't even know about it, but it's very pleasant.

8. If you need to tweak your dining reservations for whatever reason, be in line to meet the Maitre d' (usually in Michelangelo Deck 5) before 1:30 on Saturday The wait can be long. If you board late, you may want to go straight there.

9. Most important tip for first-time Princess cruisers: read your patter right away and every day!

10. Did I already mention Formal nights are Sunday and Thursday? Wait to get your formal photos taken until Thursday when there are no lines --- because everyone's done them on Sunday!

11. If Steve Moris or Carlos Oscar are the onboard comedians, consider yourself lucky!

12. If you're wandering in Ketchikan, be SURE to stop at Alaska Fine Art at 224 Main Street and check out the carved mammoth tusk. It's so huge, you might not get it all in your camera lens. It's my favorite gallery and the story of Eddie Lee, the artist (it's his own gallery) coming from Vietnam in the 1978 boatlift is beyond wonderful. He came over with nothing and answered an ad in the paper for a sculpting job, although he'd never done it before. Wow, just wow.

All for now until I get another brainstorm.

I second seeing Steve Morris. I didn't think I would like him as his target audience is about two generations above mine but he had me in tears he first night!!

We enjoyed using the princess at sea app you can schedule your own events (meet for lunch) and rsvp and make your own schedule from the online patter. It also has the ending times for events which the paper patter did not have, great for knowing what you can fit in.

FYI for Victoria our cruise was delayed allowing passengers to disembark, we chose not to get off as we wanted the evening to pack and enjoy a quiet time on the ship. We had an almost private performance from the piano player in the Piaza and he was joined impromptu by the magician from Magic to Do who sang for us. A wonderful end to the cruise.

Odd about no blue bags, I asked a few people and was told they didn't have them.

I also noticed they no longer do the color/number stickers for exclusions. They had us meet in the theater and dismissed us by row (staring down working up) and then we still had to find our tour on the dock. A lot of anxious people- and late in Juneau. I didn't like this system very much.

Thanks for the answer about the blue bags!

Bibble - My dinner dress on casual nights was usually a light, long-sleeved blouse and trousers or a long-sleeved dress. I find that my arms get cold otherwise, but a turtleneck is definitely too warm. The ship is usually kept in the high 60's to low 70's, but it can get cold out on the decks, especially when we're doing 20 knots, or quite warm in a full public room. Layers work best for both the ship and tours.

Thank you! that helps!!

17. Art shows were everywhere, all the time, it seemed. Fewer events in Explorers because of the clutter in there.

I hope you've enjoyed this little snippet about life onboard Ruby. It was ANOTHER great cruise aboard a lovely ship, so much so that when we learned of a flash sale while onboard, we ran down to the FC desk and booked another one in two weeks (at a terrific price we couldn't refuse).

I know what you mean about the art shows. On the Regal last February the art department wasn't satisfied with just cluttering up the big lounge aft but also cluttered up the atrium with art displayed all over. I for one would not be disappointed if the art events were to disappear from the ships.

I was also on the Ruby May 20th cruise. I can't agree with you about the ship not being crowded. We weren't able to eat in the buffet once due to lack of table availability (Chinese seemed to congregate there), and in the Piazza I was constantly asked if the other chair (for my spouse) was being used. I should've expected this on a chilly destination. Most of the tables alongside the pools were empty. I didn't received a tote bag this cruise. The servers were all fantastic except for the guy at the Trident Grill who never smiled, and always seemed to be wanting to close up. The Ruby is starting to show her age. I noticed seem rusty leaking areas where the pools meet the deck, and the Princess Theater seat fabric is worn. Speaking of the theater, do they no longer have wait staff in there to take drink orders? I didn't see any this cruise. I have to say I'm not a fan of the Voice of the Ocean. Too many singers sounded pro or semi-pro and it took the fun out of it. Also I prefer Explorers more than Fusion. The Colors of the World show was the best show I've seen on any cruise. I wasn't aware laundry machines now take tokens instead of quarters. On the plus side, the dryer was more efficient. No need to dry a load twice. Yes, the weather was spectacular. I didn't mind the light rain in Juneau as I was prepared. It was nice to see Peter again as he was the cruise director on our first Princess cruise on the Emerald.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also noticed the IC no longer has large ceramic coffee mugs for espresso drinks. They now use only the tall glasses, or worse they over use the paper cups. I found I used my coffee card more for the brewed coffee (a pot and 2 ceramic cups) than I did for punched drinks.

Finally, I got my toenails re-polished in the Salon on day 2, and the nail technician didn't want to clip my nails first. She said it wasn't part of it, which is ridiculous and unheard of. That's like just polishing over the old polish instead of removing it first. Also, no quick dip in the foot bath first this time.